New 2014 Cars

OBrien613

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
In central Canada, in the summer months, Diesel runs 5 to 10 cents a liter cheaper than regular gas! (20-40 cents a gallon aprox) in the winter it swings the other way.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's really a nice looking and practical car. I'm thinking seriously it should be my next one. Disappointing that they haven't made the rear seat fold flat, though. Shouldn't be rocket science, and I'm not even asking for something as sophisticated as what the Honda Fit has had for 5 years.
I guessing that pulling the release handles from the back of the hatch will not allow the seatbacks to fold flat. You would have to pop up the seat bottoms first. Just like in the current JSW.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
That's really a nice looking and practical car. I'm thinking seriously it should be my next one. Disappointing that they haven't made the rear seat fold flat, though. Shouldn't be rocket science, and I'm not even asking for something as sophisticated as what the Honda Fit has had for 5 years.
Golf "Variant" VW's "name" for the wagon..
Golf "Estate" UK
Golf "Wagon" Aussie, Canada, etc. (Probably most common name worldwide)
Jetta Sportwagon USA only, where the name Golf infers "small" or "economy", so Jetta badge is used instead. I guess they assume Americans don't like small or economy stuff.

All the same car...

The rear seat benches pulled up and folded forward and out of the way in my 2010 "Golf Estate". Then the seat backs folded forward to totally flat position.

But my Sportwagen came from the Puebla plant (Mexico), the Euroversion (and the "Estate" UK version) probably originate in Europe. Puebla Golf variants are badged Golf for Mexico and South, and for Canada, but the ones that come to USA have Jetta badge. All the same car.

Why would they NOT have flat folding seats in the UK's Estate version!??! Bottom line... I think they are WRONG. "Oh wait... there is this tether... I pull it and ..."

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
rebadged

I rebadged mine within a few months. It is a Golf everywhere else, and I have owned a few of them!

Here it is before:

And here it is after I rebadged it:

It looked excellent!

Last edited:

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
dubStrom, I did exactly the same thing. Mostly it was to make it a bit unique and make it easier to find in parking lots (JSW's are VERY popular in LA). I also thought it might elicit some conversations by curious VW people, but so far not a peep out of anyone, even the dealership mechanics. I never much cared for the 'Jetta' name, 'Golf' is a bit better and is more aligned with what the JSW actually is.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
The "new" Golf variant/estate/wagon looks VERY similar to the previous version, with slightly more sharp lines. And I am certainly glad to see that VW is not adopting the ugly vertically extended grille that all of the Audis have. The broad narrow front end is way cooler looking, and in my opinion, more classy too!
It will be a nice wagon, particularly with a little more room inside.

Sad though, USA will never see that 104bhp 1.6-litre TDI. Mexicans and South Americans will probably be able to buy that smaller engine in the Golf wagon, straight from the same Puebla Mexico assembly plant where they will badge some of them "Jetta" put the 2 liter engine in it, and send it to the happless Americans...DOH!

Offering the 1.6 liter version in the USA would probably be enough to convince me to trade my Passat (did I say that!?) :eek:

Last edited:

Jack in Jax

TDI
None
Not all diesel fuel is expensive...

O'Brien's post above reminds me that on our recent Florida-Montana-Florida drive-athon, we rarely saw diesel fuel prices as high (compared with 87 gas) as here in Florida and out in California. We went west thru the central midwest (TN, MO, KS, CO) and back east via the northern tier (ND, MN, IL, ID) and found several states where diesel was almost on par with 87 or 85.5 (whichever was the lowest price). I assume this is due in part to state tax levels. Lowest diesel prices were in agricultural states like KS. Since refineries are located in various parts of the USA (from TX and the Gulf Coast to MT and WY in that N-S slice of the country), it's hard to imagine that distribution costs to low population states is less than to high population states, yet retail diesel pricing in the Midwest would suggest this is true. (Farm diesel typically is taxed separately and at a lower rate, is dyed for monitoring purposes, and not usually sold at service stations. So diesel pricing for regular car/truck use does not benefit directly from being sold in states with large agriculture economies.

I'm new here and came to this forum to learn more about TDI engines because we're considering a VW Jetta or Sportwagon TDI as a new car purchase. One of the biggest disincentives in our minds is not just the higher diesel pricing in FL but how different the pricing tracks than gasoline. Typical price differential here (from 87 gas) is 40 cents. When gas prices jumped up last fall, the differential jumped to 60-70 cents and stayed there far longer than the elevated gas prices. Tough to figure out just what kind of savings is available when that seems to occur somewhat regularly.

Jack

jhsjr2

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
.........Sad though, USA will never see that 104bhp 1.6-litre TDI. Mexicans and South Americans will probably be able to buy that smaller engine in the Golf wagon, straight from the same Puebla Mexico assembly plant where they will badge some of them "Jetta" put the 2 liter engine in it, and send it to the happless Americans...DOH!
I thought I read where VW would be introducing a new 140 HP "per Liter" diesel, married up to a new Dual Clutch Technology (DCT versus DSG) 10-speed transmission?

What's the story on that?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
O'Brien's post above reminds me that on our recent Florida-Montana-Florida drive-athon, we rarely saw diesel fuel prices as high (compared with 87 gas) as here in Florida and out in California. We went west thru the central midwest (TN, MO, KS, CO) and back east via the northern tier (ND, MN, IL, ID) and found several states where diesel was almost on par with 87 or 85.5 (whichever was the lowest price). I assume this is due in part to state tax levels. Lowest diesel prices were in agricultural states like KS. Since refineries are located in various parts of the USA (from TX and the Gulf Coast to MT and WY in that N-S slice of the country), it's hard to imagine that distribution costs to low population states is less than to high population states, yet retail diesel pricing in the Midwest would suggest this is true. (Farm diesel typically is taxed separately and at a lower rate, is dyed for monitoring purposes, and not usually sold at service stations. So diesel pricing for regular car/truck use does not benefit directly from being sold in states with large agriculture economies.

I'm new here and came to this forum to learn more about TDI engines because we're considering a VW Jetta or Sportwagon TDI as a new car purchase. One of the biggest disincentives in our minds is not just the higher diesel pricing in FL but how different the pricing tracks than gasoline. Typical price differential here (from 87 gas) is 40 cents. When gas prices jumped up last fall, the differential jumped to 60-70 cents and stayed there far longer than the elevated gas prices. Tough to figure out just what kind of savings is available when that seems to occur somewhat regularly.

Jack
Jack, I've found the simplest way to look at it is that if diesel is within 30% of the price of regular, than you're still getting better economy out of the diesel versus a similar car with a gas engine. Although with some of the higher mileage rated gasser, that spear may need to be narrowed.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Jack, I've found the simplest way to look at it is that if diesel is within 30% of the price of regular, than you're still getting better economy out of the diesel versus a similar car with a gas engine. Although with some of the higher mileage rated gasser, that spear may need to be narrowed.
I've had this sort of conversation with a few co-workers in the past. They are quick to point to a few gassers that now advertise similar mileage numbers to TDIs. I explain that while there are some gassers including hype-brids that may have similar or slightly lower cost per mile given the current fuel price situation ("but diesel is more expensive than gas!"), they aren't cars I want to drive and NONE of them offer the kick of a turbo. There's a lot more to it than MPGs alone.

Oilhammer said it best in another thread a while ago:
Oilhammer said:
The mileage a Prius gets is laughable considering what a penalty box the car is to drive.
I for one care about the overall driving experience. I love the rich blend of Economy, Longevity, Performance, TORQUE, and Efficiency I can enjoy with a modern turbodiesel car. I drive a LOT, around 1k miles/week, and I care about the driving experience and really NEED fuel efficient car. At the same time, I don't want to drive a penalty box to get the fuel economy. I'm also a driving enthusiast and like a "driver's car" but with any gasser that usually comes with a big MPG hit. Not so with a TDI or other modern turbodiesel car. I like being able to have my cake and eat it too. :cool:

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Oilhammer does appear...........

...........to be a very sage dude...............

ez

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Many of these "40 mpg" rated gas burners require premium. Todays prices: unleaded $3.15, midgrade $3.36, diesel $3.39, premium gas $3.55.

n1das

TDI
Many of these "40 mpg" rated gas burners require premium. Todays prices: unleaded $3.15, midgrade $3.36, diesel $3.39, premium gas $3.55.
Diesel is $3.719/USgallon up here in southern NH.

"But diesel is more expensive than gas!" I get that a lot from gasser drivers. If only they would look past the price per gallon at the pump!

As for new 2014 cars, I snagged one recently. Only July 1, I ordered a 2014 BMW 535d xDrive sedan in M-Sport trim from my local BMW dealer. I pulled the trigger about 24 hours after the new diesel models for 2014 became buildable on BMW's website (www.BMWusa.com). My BMW dealer was allocated only ONE of these for 2014 and it has my name on it! :cool: Estimated delivery is around 9/1/13. :cool:

Last edited:

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
Snip..."But diesel is more expensive than gas!" I get that a lot from gasser drivers. If only they would look past the price per gallon at the pump!
Yes, exactly! With diesel here at $3.70/gal and gas at $3.45/gal, our VW TDI's still cost less per mile to fuel than our Honda Fit:
2002 & 2003 TDI - $3.70/gal divided by 46.5 average mpg = $0.08/mile
2008 Honda Fit Sport - $3.45/gal divided by 34.5 average mpg = $0.10/mile
And the vehicles the gas users are operating, who make these statements, are typically only 22-28 mpg vehicles, if even this much! Wise-up!

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, exactly! With diesel here at $3.70/gal and gas at $3.45/gal, our VW TDI's still cost less per mile to fuel than our Honda Fit:
2002 & 2003 TDI - $3.70/gal divided by 46.5 average mpg = $0.08/mile
2008 Honda Fit Sport - $3.45/gal divided by 34.5 average mpg = $0.10/mile
And the vehicles the gas users are operating, who make these statements, are typically only 22-28 mpg vehicles, if even this much! Wise-up!
Yes, the math works out... ~20-30% more mpg on a diesel, ~10-15% lower price on regular gas.

BUT, the new 2014 cars that run on gas (hasn't changed) must spin HIGH rpm to make any torque (wheazing with CARB emissions requirements) where they make 22-25mpg...NOT 35-40! I made the mistake of buying a 2010 Subaru Legacy sedan that boasted 180 HP and 31mpg highway on a 2.5L EFI engine. It was awfully weak below 3000 rpm (and I live a 600 feet above sea level!), and didn't make the horse power until 4000 rpm. I got about 22mpg city. It made 30 mpg on the highway or better (I am getting over 50 on the Passat).

or WORSE, many new gassers are turbo gassers (Audis and VWs, certainly, and many Volvos, etc), requiring premium gasoline:eek:

There went any savings!

Consistent higher fuel economy on a diesel (even when loaded up, or romped a little), better torque spec even driving casually at low rpm, RANGE, and now they are even cleaner than gassers! AND returning much higher than EPA estimates by FAR on the highway without trying! Odd that Passat gets a 42mpg rating, but it actually gets 50 or more (I got 54mpg with 4 passengers on a 786 mile trip recently, including many mountain passes!).

There should be more diesels in the 2014 new car lineup!

Last edited:

n1das

TDI
Consistent higher fuel economy on a diesel (even when loaded up, or romped a little), better torque spec even driving casually at low rpm, RANGE, and now they are even cleaner than gassers! AND returning much higher than EPA estimates by FAR on the highway without trying! Odd that Passat gets a 42mpg rating, but it actually gets 50 or more (I got 54mpg with 4 passengers on a 786 mile trip recently, including many mountain passes!).

There should be more diesels in the 2014 new car lineup!
Agree 100%. There should be more diesels in the 2014 new car lineup but the reality is there isn't right now. That's one of many reasons why I decided to pull the trigger and grab one of the new 2014 diesels while they're available and while I'm in a position to buy right now. I'm looking forward to enjoying the BMW's weapons-grade TORQUE with the great MPGs coming as a bonus. :cool:

Hopefully there will be more diesel offerings in future new car lineups. I think the explosion of diesel car popularity in Europe didn't happen overnight. It took a while to acheive critical mass. You will know diesel cars are becoming mainstream in N.Americal when Toyota and Honda finally feel threatened enough to offer the diesel versions of their cars here.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Diesels will be part of the answer to the increased CAFE requirements.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesels will be part of the answer to the increased CAFE requirements.
Diesels are part of the answer. It will be up to each producer how they wish to phase them into the North American market. I think that Toyota will be one of the last holdouts due to all the money they spent developing and marketing hybrids as the path towards saving the planet.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Chev has the 2014 Diesel Cruze out now for sale 2 Liter 148 HP for sale at Canadian dealers now. Looks like may be a better choice then VW's. I will sure go to the Chev and no longer a VW. Mazda is putting a diesel in their Mazda 6 a 2.2 diesel which should be out very soon also a better choice then the VW's I do believe.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mazda's been saying that engine will be here for over a year.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Mazda is having real problems with the oil getting dosed with diesel fuel because of the off stroke fuel injections to make the emissions function. That is and could be a deal breaker if they don't remedy this before they begin to offer diesel power here. The Chevy may in fact be "as good" as the current VWAG offerings but no doubt they are likely to have the same fuel pump issues that VWAG has had because of our unreliable crappy fuel supply.

I like the idea of others being forced to offer diesel power to meet the coming increase in required CAFE starting in 2014 MY. But there are going to issues that pop up for every make with the re-introduction of diesel powered autos to the US car market. I don't think any of the new offerings are going to have a completely trouble free introduction of these, so no one will have a marketed advantage over the other offerings until all of this is washed out.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I'm glad to read the realization that Diesels are *part* of the answer and not *the* or *the only* answer.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Diesels are part of the answer. It will be up to each producer how they wish to phase them into the North American market. I think that Toyota will be one of the last holdouts due to all the money they spent developing and marketing hybrids as the path towards saving the planet.
An interesting note: Toyota and BMW have an agreement to trade technology- Toyota Hybrid technology for BMW diesel engines.

Eventually we may be able to have access to BMW diesel technology coupled with Toyota reliablity and affordability! :D

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Mazda is having real problems with the oil getting dosed with diesel fuel because of the off stroke fuel injections to make the emissions function. \
Word is this has been fixed over the last few months with firmware updates... Europe was the Ginny-pig. The hold up here is getting the EPA to pass it without needing the Urea-Injection. (which is doesn't need due to the lower compression and better burn rates.

Tschuss_Bill

TDI
2000 Jetta Original Owner, 2005 E320 CDI
An interesting note: Toyota and BMW have an agreement to trade technology- Toyota Hybrid technology for BMW diesel engines.

Eventually we may be able to have access to BMW diesel technology coupled with Toyota reliability and affordability! :D
That would be awesome. BMW could source better more reliable parts like, water pumps, coolant expansion tanks, DISA valves, cam sensors etc from Toyota.

It would be the best of both worlds. Seriously, BMW's practice of over 'value-engineering' is shameful.

-B