My 2013 JSW

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
had a few minutes to install my neuspeed power pulley today and take a short test drive. i will say that it is a welcome addition and the install was much easier than anticipated. took me about 45 minutes start to finish.the product itself is well made and other than the obvious fact that it is smaller than the stock pulley, being aluminum it is MUCH lighter.

first impression is that it allows the engine to rev more freely and seemingly more smoothly. it makes a noticeable increase in power, but nothing earth-shattering. much like some the other mods i have done (audi short shifter, stage 2, GTI RSB) it just feels right, like it should have been that way originally. i'll get some miles with it tomorrow and a better overall sense of it's worth. interested in seeing if there is any MPG improvement and of course if my A/C will be adequate for phoenix heat.

Last edited:

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
what codes are you showing?
if you've been driving around with a broken DPF, then the low side EGR will need repair as well. i didn't have any problem with informing my service advisor and tech of that fact and then they passed that info along to VW. took a little extra time, but they approved the diagnosis and replaced all that shizz.

i was actually thinking that i'd call them (the dealer) and see if they'd replace my under hood insulation blanket with the newerr style one. mine has clearly shrunk. it's falling out and i don't see why that--according to the settlement language--it wouldn't be considered a part of the emissions system.
I had the P0401 (EGR Insufficient flow) and P240F (EGR Response too slow). Dealer was great and replaced the DPF, EGR filter and the exhaust valve under emissions warranty. Car is running great, but I'm going to go with a Malone or Kerma tune to reduce soot and prolong the life of these components while increasing some power.

My hood insulator was pretty bad. It was drooping down and wouldn't retain shape at all, with some of the cloth covering clearly worn away in two spots by the oil filler cap and the intake flow sensor warness and it was leaving fibers everywhere. I just bought a OEM replacement (for a GTI) on eBay and installed that.

Looking forward to your ongoing thoughts on the Neuspeed crank pulley!

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Under-driving the accessories in Arizona seems like a mistake. All to pick up, what, maybe 1 hp?

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
well, they claim 5-7hp!
i had some of these same concerns, but the water pump runs off the timing belt anyway. i can feel a bit of a decrease in the A/C output when sitting at a long light and it seems to take a bit longer to get cold, but still worth the money, IMO. engine just feels more smooth.

glad you got all fixed up, rtking!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If they claimed the true number, they wouldn't sell many pulleys. That's pretty much the norm for advertising aftermarket "power adders". The true test will come when you're idling in traffic on a hot 100°+ Arizona summer day. Your alternator also won't be charging at the rate is was designed for.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
If they claimed the true number, they wouldn't sell many pulleys. That's pretty much the norm for advertising aftermarket "power adders". The true test will come when you're idling in traffic on a hot 100°+ Arizona summer day. Your alternator also won't be charging at the rate is was designed for
if i have any problems, i promise to let you know ;)
it has value beyond the claimed HP increase, IMO.
guess it's a good thing i bought it for me and not you!

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, I'm glad you're pleased with it(really). It does have "Speed" stamped into it, so that has to be good for at least a kW. I'm curious where this extra non power related value comes in. Maybe it's the ability to use non factory spec accessory belts?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
I saw a video about the neuspeed power pulley somewhere, maybe YouTube. The car owner eventually removed it because he believed it changed or altered the engine harmonics in a negative way.

I did consider buying one but there didn’t seem to be much to gain from it with some risk.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
so i installed my DG springs & bilstien TC struts in the front last weekend (5K4071677B & 22-139191, respectively). along with mounts and bearings...dust covers and sport bumpstops i couldn't be happier with the ride. i do have to say that the front springs did not lower the front hardly at all--which is what i wanted--i had to double up the rear spring pads with a "modified" OG spring pad & an audi spec pad. the stance is level if not a touch squatty--which is not what i was going for. might go for a solid spacer under the audi pad. might just crank the konis up to full stiff first....IDK.

next rabbit hole is going to be how to address the fact that the alignment wouldn't come fully into spec. i know the car's been in an accident so there may be something(s) bent. i'm going to start by taking it to someone who's more familiar with a hunter alignment machine and shifting the subframe than me.

if i have to replace some pieces i'll be looking into this: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...ering-knuckles-and-lca-to-save-weight.513245/

power pulley providing adequate A/C and charging even through 118 degrees phoenix heat!

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
next rabbit hole is going to be how to address the fact that the alignment wouldn't come fully into spec. i know the car's been in an accident so there may be something(s) bent. i'm going to start by taking it to someone who's more familiar with a hunter alignment machine and shifting the subframe than me.

<snip>

power pulley providing adequate A/C and charging even through 118 degrees phoenix heat!
@borninabus - good to read the pulley is working well in Phoenix heat! That's a testament/statement in itself! And sounds like a great job with the springs and struts. If I recall correctly, there are different thickness pads that can be used (at least on my old Audi there were.) I think I read somewhere that the Audi TT rear pads were thicker and raise the rear 1.5 cm. Just searched and here's the link:

Like your car, my car most likely was in an accident as I had to shift one side of the subframe forward as far as it would go to get the alignment nearly to spec. One day I'll drop it off at a frame shop to have them pull the frame straight/even. My biggest issue is that my car came from the rust belt, so the adjustment bolts in the rear subframe are all rusted and the VW dealer won't adjust it (likely a liability thing from breaking those bolts.) I'm considering replacing the entire rear subframe and suspension since my cradle mounting points are rusty too.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
the audi pads are what i have. i cut the centers out of my stock pads and am currently running two pads per spring. pretty sure my next move is going to be to set my konis @ max stiffness and see if that helps hold it up a bit. if that doesn't work, then i'll be making some solid spacers out of 3/4" plastic cutting board and installing that between the two rubber pads.

there is definitely some noticeable loss of cooling in the A/C when sitting at stoplights in extreme heat, but nothing major. when the outside temp is "only" 100 or so, it works just like factory. i have a hengst non-charcoal cabin filter that i'll be installing to see if anything changes for the better.

gonna get up early tomorrow to do my oil change. have my liqui moly 5w40 (505 spec :oops:) and factory fuel/oil filters that i change every other time on hand.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
also found this thread and did some tweaks using VCDS.
most of this stuff can be found here and @ RT but worth a read:

really like being able to lock the car while it's running to allow a regen to complete or just leave the A/C going so the dog can hang (for justa few minutes!) in the car or to just keep it cool in PHX heat while i run inside somewhere. the car doesn't beep on lock as i prefer while it's running though....and now the nice little "beep" horn doesn't sound.....ever: only the regular "honk" horn when locking now. kinda bummed to say the least.

gonna see if the alignment shop i found is worth their weight tomorrow
;)

Last edited:

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
so i did find someone who knows what an alignment is, not just who is capable of using a rack. everything came out good except for castor on the the front left. so upon further inspection, the control arm was found to have a crack and possibly be bent. this put me in the unfortunate position to have to go to my friendly local junkyard and find some cast aluminum control arms. wouldn't you know it, someone conveniently left a passat subframe on the ground making my job quick and easy. $40 well spent. installed them the next day. haven't made it back to the alignment shop yet, but the car is feeling great.

in other news: it's been raining in phoenix and it became painfully apparent that my pano roof is no different than the everyone else's. what i found was both rear hoses kinked where they pass through the D pillar, passenger side was disconnected @ the bottom and both grommets were full of turds. the full treatment was needed. both tubes out and cleaned. once that was done i dunked them in boiling water to relax the kinks and also stretch the tubes a bit. cut the ends and cleaned out the grommets everything dryed out, reassembled and flowing freely now. hoping i can get away with the clip and ream on the fronts.

TB service is coming up a bit quicker than i would like. it's too hot here until oct/nov for an undertaking such as that. gaining some confidence every time i work on it and i feel like i could do the @ home without too much trouble once i find some time to download erWin.