New 1 Micron 100% Sythetic Microglass Fuel Filter

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Not-too-scientific cold weather update:

I've had mine installed for about 6 tank fulls now. 3 of them were treated only with the silver Powerservice (not the white anti-gel bottle). I drive on the road for work all the time (40K+/year) and 2 of those tanks I got stuck in the 3 snowstorms that have hit the midwest/east coast. Snowed-in at my hotel room for 4 days total.
No problems at all with starting. It was freezing, and single digits at one point, but probably didn't get below zero.

Oh, I also like the white filter, because I wrote in sharpie on it the date and mileage it was installed. Not quite the eye appeal of having a cat filter :) but the red filter housing does look sharp.

Ross

Last edited:

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Not to beat a topic to death......but:

1. Both my 03 and 05.5 Jettas OEM filter set-ups have water separators that are drained at oil changes. How does your filter deal with small amounts of water in fuel?

...and unrelated to #1

2. Can anyone give me a non-anecdotal reason for the thermo-tee?

In very cold weather after the car has cold soaked overnight, It would seem to me that fuel in the lines would gel much quicker than any other part of fuel system. If the fuel has gelled anywhere in the system (or water in filter or filter media has frozen)then the engine does not start. A non running engine does not create heated fuel to return through a thermo tee to keep filter "thawed" and fuel liquid. So it would seem that the tee has some other purpose than the wintertime one discussed at length in this thread.

IMO the "tee" simply returns fuel to the engine with a shorter pathway (creating a bit of a reservoir of fuel)so that the engine can respond to rapid load changes without increased strain on the pump and less risk of momentary fuel starvation. This function would also allow the engine to run without drawing air into the system when the fuel pickup in the tank is uncovered momentarily. The lift pump introduced with the PDs goes a step further by having a reservoir built into the pump which will allow the engine to run for quite a while with the pickup uncovered (and if you have done the left coast lift pump mod will continue to do so even if the lift pump is toofed)...

If my above point is valid then I would consider the loss of the tee to be detrimental regardless of the OAT. This same tee functionality must be useful in Cat equipment because the outlet for the tee comes on their filters also.

Not hating here just wanting to understand more about this topic

Last edited:

ndamico

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
Hi,

no worries. no dead horse here.

to answer your first question- it sits in the bottom of the filter. I've never had water in any filter on any of my diesel vehicles in the last 8 years. the times I've seen vehicles with water it was enough to shut the engine down in which case it doesn't matter anyway. George Morrison showed me years ago that most water separators found on our cars/trucks don't work anyway and that gravity itself is the best method.

since you mentioned your 05.5 Jetta- the car i made a filter bracket for last week (which was A6 Jetta) had no water drain. i think some do and some don't which in my mind leads me to believe that someone else thinks they aren't very effective either.

as far as the T goes, i think you are incorrect about it being there to offer a sudden burst of fuel. its called thermostatic because its supposed to close/open based on temperature not fuel demand..

PD's have lift pumps due the different injection system design.

Understand fuel is used to lubricate and cool the pump & injectors. return side fuel is hot and thinner..Thin fuel is harder to pump in the same volume as thicker (cooler) fuel. ideally not the best for going back into your pump. That's why many diesel vehicles have fuel coolers. removing the Tee from the equation forces the return fuel to always go back to the tank where it can cool.

Not to mention they leak sometimes.. So you're removing a potential leak point.

DidJettarun said:
Not to beat a topic to death......but:

1. Both my 03 and 05.5 Jettas OEM filter set-ups have water separators that are drained at oil changes. How does your filter deal with small amounts of water in fuel?

...and unrelated to #1

2. Can anyone give me a non-anecdotal reason for the thermo-tee?

In very cold weather after the car has cold soaked overnight, It would seem to me that fuel in the lines would gel much quicker than any other part of fuel system. If the fuel has gelled anywhere in the system (or water in filter or filter media has frozen)then the engine does not start. A non running engine does not create heated fuel to return through a thermo tee to keep filter "thawed" and fuel liquid. So it would seem that the tee has some other purpose than the wintertime one discussed at length in this thread.

IMO the "tee" simply returns fuel to the engine with a shorter pathway (creating a bit of a reservoir of fuel)so that the engine can respond to rapid load changes without increased strain on the pump and less risk of momentary fuel starvation. This function would also allow the engine to run without drawing air into the system when the fuel pickup in the tank is uncovered momentarily. The lift pump introduced with the PDs goes a step further by having a reservoir built into the pump which will allow the engine to run for quite a while with the pickup uncovered (and if you have done the left coast lift pump mod will continue to do so even if the lift pump is toofed)...

If my above point is valid then I would consider the loss of the tee to be detrimental regardless of the OAT. This same tee functionality must be useful in Cat equipment because the outlet for the tee comes on their filters also.

Not hating here just wanting to understand more about this topic

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
ndamico said:
Yes they did and that reason is because the current filter technology made them susceptible to gelling. If i were still using a stock filter on my cars in cold climate i'd use the Tee too. but with a 100% synthetic filter it isn't needed.
Does it come with a 5 yr you pay the tow warranty?

bugsy

Veteran Member
TDI
beetle,2002,grey; golf,2004 white
Curious?

If you have a choice of using the 1 Micron filter or the 'Cat' filter, does this mean that if you have a head that currently accepts the 'Cat' filter then the 1 Micron filter should work as well?

I apologize if this has been asked previously and I missed the answer...

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
bugsy said:
If you have a choice of using the 1 Micron filter or the 'Cat' filter, does this mean that if you have a head that currently accepts the 'Cat' filter then the 1 Micron filter should work as well?
Apparently both filters have the same diameter and thread measurements. I've seen some mention of a "nipple" but I don't understand what this is.

ndamico

TDI
2003 Golf 2Dr TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2002 Duramax, 2003 Duramax
it also comes with a winning million dollar lottery ticket:rolleyes:

steelmb said:
Does it come with a 5 yr you pay the tow warranty?

ndamico

TDI
both filters can seal to the same head but the thread pitch is different on the 2 elements. That's the reason for having 2 different nipples. tgo switch from one filter to the other you just remove the filter, unscrew the nipple, screw the new nipple in, replace the o-ring, and screw the new filter on.

TornadoRed said:
Apparently both filters have the same diameter and thread measurements. I've seen some mention of a "nipple" but I don't understand what this is.

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Is there any info on what this filter would do for IP and injector longevity?

ndamico

TDI
MK5 bracket update- oldpoopie has it in his possession and is supposed to be test-fitting it shortly :D

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Funny how these things work, I suddenly find myself wanting this. This and a different lift pump should finish my fuel system mods. Think I'm going with the AN flare banjo's for the ulimate in servicability. Thanks Nick...

steelmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Has anybody in a really cold climate used this filter setup? Alaska, Yukon, northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba? I am tempted as getting rid of the problematic tee would be nice but I don't want to introduce other problems.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
steelmb said:
Has anybody in a really cold climate used this filter setup? Alaska, Yukon, northern Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba? I am tempted as getting rid of the problematic tee would be nice but I don't want to introduce other problems.
Could ask someone who owns a 98 New Beetle. No thermo-T on those.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Any word on the Mk5 kit? Is it mocked up for the '09 '10 CRD?

ndamico

TDI
Oldpoopie has the bracket.. i'm just waiting for him to test-fit as once its perfect a jig has to be built.. hopefully he can find time soon test fit it...

eh justin??? :)

740GLE said:
Any word on the Mk5 kit? Is it mocked up for the '09 '10 CRD?

TDI
None
Nick,

Received the filter kit today and installed it tonight. I was battling air problems in the fuel line forever. Switched filters, o-rings, thermostatic t, chased leaks in the lines all the way to the tank, not much luck. Installed the filter kit tonight, air bubbles are next to none. No matter what engine speed, bubbles are gone. And I thought I was only going to get exceptional filtration....Very satisfied customer :cool:

-AGTDI

SheeB

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS Manual
Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
Nick,

Received the filter kit today and installed it tonight. I was battling air problems in the fuel line forever. Switched filters, o-rings, thermostatic t, chased leaks in the lines all the way to the tank, not much luck. Installed the filter kit tonight, air bubbles are next to none. No matter what engine speed, bubbles are gone. And I thought I was only going to get exceptional filtration....Very satisfied customer :cool:

-AGTDI
I am having the same issues now, so hopefully my filter head will arrive soon!

gas.cars

TDI
Golf Mk4 TDI AHF. Malone Stage 4.
ndamico said:
Hi,

This kit is an evolution of what I've learned in making fuel filter kits for the Duramax since 2002. It has been in development for the TDI for almost a year. I have been using the one micron element in the Duramax for 2 years, and the CAT 1R-0749 going back to 2002 totalling almost 9000 units to date.

It was designed for flexibility in mind as well as easy of use. I went with the best of everything in this kit all the way down to the double-walled crush washers and extended boss on top for extra fuel line clearance. I'd like to thank the late George Morrison for all of his help on the design of this filter element and making its production a reality. I'd also like to thank oldpoopie for his feedback which helped make this kit functional and easy to install/service.

This is a complete kit consisting of the filter head, mounting bracket, 1-micron filter, banjo fittings, clamps, nuts, washers, bolts, o-ring, filter wrench, and directions. The installation is straight-forward and can be accomplished by the average person with basic mechanic skills. The bracket is CNC cut from one piece steel and the filter head is machined from billet aluminum and anodized in a black, red, or blue finish. The kit is designed to use the 1-micron filter but will also work with the CAT 1R-0750 2-micron element if a more reasonably priced filter is desired.

For an additional charge the kit is available with 3 of the standard 8mm barb fittings to give you an extra port for a pressure gauge. It is also available with anodized -6AN fittings instead of the standard 8mm barb fittings for those customers running larger fuel lines.

Key Benefits
  • Multiple Filter Options - Will work with both the 1-micron 100% synthetic filter as well as the CAT 1R-0750 filter
  • Anodized Billet Aluminum Filter Head Available in 3 Colors
  • Raised Boss Surface on Filter Head to Provide Additional Clearance for Fuel Lines
  • One-Piece CNC Cut Steel Filter Bracket
  • Filter Securely Attached with Stainless Steel Clamps
  • Eliminates the Problematic Thermostatic Tee Fitting on the OEM Filter
  • Includes Fittings to OEM lines for Hassle-Free Installation
  • Stainless Steel Hose Clamps Won't Rust
  • Stainless Steel Mounting Bolts & Hardware
  • Folded Crush Washers for a Better Seal on Banjo Fittings vs. Regular Flat Copper Washers
  • High-Flow Filter Head Can be Used with Optional -6AN Fittings for Those Running Larger Fuel Lines
  • Optional 3rd Banjo Fitting for Fuel Pressure/Vacuum Gauge Connection
  • Helps Prolong Injector Pump, Injector, and Fuel System Life
  • Bio-Diesel B100 & Veggie Oil Compatible
  • 1-Micron Filter Has no Internal Paper Material to Swell in Cold Temperature for Those Using Biodiesel and Veggie Oil
  • Includes Filter Wrench to Facilitate Easy Removal of Banjo Fittings and Filter Element
  • Easy to Revert Back to Stock (no cutting of OEM parts required)
  • Proven Track Record of Success - Air Leaks/No Starts are not a problem!
  • 100% MADE IN THE U.S.A.!!
  • Limited 1-Year Warranty
The Heart of the Uber Fuel Filter Kit - The One-Micron 100% Synthetic Microglass Filter Element

All fuel filters currently available are cellulose medium. Even the highest quality cellulose filters provide only marginal filtration when compared with a full microglass element. Additionally, cellulose filter elements are adversely affected by sub-freezing ambient temperatures. This is not the case with a full microglass element. It is not affected in any way by cold temperatures. Couple that with the fact that the best cellulose-blend filters are 2-micron and this 1-micron filter is a huge step in the evolution of filtering diesel fuel.

Enter the 1 Micron Nicktane Extreme-Duty 100% microglass element!

The filter element was developed using technology developed for the aerospace industry. One of the problems associated with a pure microglass element is that the glass medium can be delicate. When microglass is exposed to varying flow rates, the microglass can rupture at the points where the microglass is required to make sharp bends within the stainless steel support structure. When you have flown on an airliner and heard the landing gear “clunk up” in place, the hydraulic system was just exposed to a tremendous stress. This sort of stress would destroy the normal microglass filter element. Not the Nicktane Extreme-Duty. It can take this sort of stress in stride, again and again.

The Nicktane Extreme-Duty filter is manufactured using a proprietary technique which essentially “bends glass”, without creating a weak area in the filter medium. This gives the Nicktane Extreme-Duty filter a combination of robustness, and filtration efficiency unequalled in the aerospace and automotive industry. Additionally, the filter utilizes a proprietary microglass layering technique which enables the filter to provide significantly better filtering efficiency and dirt holding capacity than any filter currently available in the market.

Thus we have a filter technology that will provide diesel fuel filtration and flow world’s better than any currently available cellulose or cellulose/blend fuel filter.

Pictures below illustrate installation location. Click on any image for a larger version.
The Complete Kit

Filter Head with Banjos Installed

Variations Available for Different Applications

Underside of Filter Head with Viton O-Ring

Filter Kit Installed

Bracket Attached to Vehicle

Filter Wrench in Action

Hose Barb Union and Folded Crush Washer

Kits can be ordered HERE:
PM Sent.

ndamico

TDI
I'm glad you like it!

Ausgezeichnet TDi said:
Nick,

-AGTDI

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
ndamico said:
Oldpoopie has the bracket.. i'm just waiting for him to test-fit as once its perfect a jig has to be built.. hopefully he can find time soon test fit it...

eh justin??? :)
If he can't I'll test on my A5 :D

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Niaive Question

Should one "lubricate" the o-ring (presumably with fuel) on the Cat filter when spinning it onto the filter head unit?

Or, should it be a dry-to-dry mating?

thanks