Nervous About My Engine

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Hi Guys,

This is technically a double post from the used oil analysis (UOA) thread, but I wanted to get some input from my fellow NMS drivers. I just got back my 40K UOA and my wear metals, particularly aluminum, chromium, and iron, are going the wrong way and have been for 20K miles. The consensus in the UOA thread is that the aluminum and chrome may be from a bad ring scuffing a piston. I need to figure out my next move with VW. I appreciate any input.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4354755&postcount=3024

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I would open a case with VW Customer Care. The trend certainly doesn't look good.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Of you get the right trade-in offer, consider taking it. I don't give that advise very often on a TDI with only 40,000 miles.

Bill

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Bill is right. But before doing so, lean on the dealer persistently and eventually they'll cough-up a voucher in the neighborhood of $1500 towards a new car. If you get no traction, insist on a face to face with the regional service rep (he's the one who issues vouchers anyway). That should take the sting out of any depreciative loss.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Yikes! I didnt read the other thread. Have you posted on Bob is the oil guy?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Am I reading this correct? He is claiming that the TDi motor's internal parts are destroying themselves.
Well- that's a bit blunt, but that's the way I interpret the OP's UOA and its analysis By Blackstone and others in this thread. IMHO, at this point there are several possible courses of action, but always follow the Three Commandments: document, document, document.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Pull another sample through dipstick hole, instead of catching drain flow. You might have caught sump sediment, and engine could be perfectly fine.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I sort of wish I could continue to contribute data on future samples, but I ended up trading the old girl a few minutes ago. It's really bittersweet and I hope for everyone's sake that I was just an outliner (I'm sure I am). I could have pursued this but I really didn't want another engine overall on a car. I am snakebitten lately. I bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler before this and its head imploded under 10k. I swear I'm not throwing marbles in when I fill my oil. Honest!

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
What did you trade it in on? I think you made the right move. Now the next guy that buys it pre-owned though.... he's in for a surprise.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I'm glad for YOU that your problem is resolved.
I'm sorry for US that we won't have your future UOAs to help maintain a constant atmosphere of panic at TDIClub!:D I know my curiosity has been heightened by your UOA post.
Are you at liberty, or are you willing, to tell us what is replacing your Passat?

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
How good of a deal did you get and what did you drive away with?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Because inquiring minds want to know.... (warning)

I traded for a 2014 Focus ST with every available option. 252hp/270 lb-ft, 6-speed, 32 mpg hwy, full leather heated recaro seats, xenon lamps w/ led runners, rado 18's with GY F1 rubber, moonroof, nav, dual zone climatronic, asym blind spot mirrors, yada yada. Fun car on the trip home! :D

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Did you get a great deal on the trade in? I hate loosing equity on cars that I buy. I drive them into the ground. I hope to have mine for a minimum of 10 years.

TDIEQNY

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
ok- I'm really not getting the point of what you did.

The car comes with a 100K factory warranty... why not drive it into the ground or at least into 80K plus and then dump it ?

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ok- I'm really not getting the point of what you did.

The car comes with a 100K factory warranty... why not drive it into the ground or at least into 80K plus and then dump it ?
No it doesn't. Warranty is 36k b2b and 60k powertrain, which I would have hit by next summer. It doesn't matter if you get the point.

kulak

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat NMS
Rented the focus before. It is fun but can't stand the dash and how it juts out towards you in uncomfortable ways. I guess that's the trend these days. Make you feel like you're in a jet cockpit.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you get a great deal on the trade in? I hate loosing equity on cars that I buy. I drive them into the ground. I hope to have mine for a minimum of 10 years.
I got exactly what KBB/Nada say my car was worth at its mileage. Regarding the ST, I went through USAA car buying service and got offers from three certified dealers. I went to one yesterday, loved the test drive and offer, but still went home. They came down another $500 this morning. Got a car with MSRP of $30k for $25.2k.

Please let's not imply I'm suddenly a VW hater. This was my third TDI. I will likely be back again later. I will also never say a bad word about a TDI. This was just a preventative measure. And anyone in DC, do not buy that Glacier Blue 2012 NMS with 41k that pops up next week! It has marbles in the engine.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Those STs are neat little cars! I hope you enjoy it, even if the fuel economy is lousy. ;)

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I got exactly what KBB/Nada say my car was worth at its mileage.
Hopefully that amount was more than you owed on it. That's always the part that I don't like, having to roll negative equity into a new car.

I just ran the #'s on my 2013 TDI SE with Nav/SunRoof and if I got KBB today, I'd be about $6k short of what I owe on the car. But I've only made 3 payments on mine.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Darn you PParks, you're going to make me admit that I had negative equity in the Passat, aren't you? Well yes. Yes I did, Mr. Poopy Pants. ;)

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Darn you PParks, you're going to make me admit that I had negative equity in the Passat, aren't you? Well yes. Yes I did, Mr. Poopy Pants. ;)
I was just hoping that wasn't the case. I always hear such good things about the resale value of TDI's. I've also seen members here get remarkable deals on their Passats, so if you put down some $$'s at the start and made a year or 2 of payments, I could see being able to break-even.

Enjoy your new ride through. When I bought my Passat, the Focus ST was one of the cars on my short list.