Needle lift Sensor (G80) and "loose" wire?

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Problem solved?

2000 Golf bucked one time on acceleration. Felt like the Green Giant grabbed my rear bumper for a split second, Glow plug light blinking, CEL on. Over the past four months, previously noticed a 3 or 4 very very small instantaneous loss of power. So small that for some of them, I wondered if it was the car, or me. Those small incidents didn't throw CELs, etc.

Today: 1 Fault found:
00542 - Needle lift Sensor (G80)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Removed electrical connector (not at injector #3), but at what Bentley called G80 (sorry don't have the book with me, can't remember the exact details), just to reseat it. When connector was disconnected, one of the wires from the connector (but not at the connector) came loose from a butt connector.

Okay...I better explain. Last year a squirrel chewed etc etc......see picture
[/IMG]

I cut off the butt connector from the other wire, and soldered them together and reset the code.

So...here's my question. How likely is it that the previous almost imperceptible loss of power and the big bucking today was because the wire inside the butt connector jiggled just a bit? Hard to think it actually moved such that none of it was touching the connector? And, when the wire did pull from the butt connector the wire didn't come out all on it's own, I was putting strain on it (i guess) when I took the connector off.

I know, likely can't really tell, just see if anyone has experienced something similar with the fuel injection and a loose, funkly, wire?

And the other question is...assuming that wasn't the problem, does one hard buck mean more are on the way, or could it be a one time thing? Yep..probably just depends on what's causing it.

Thanks.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
We got a few hiccups a while back... 17654 - needle lift sensor (G80) implausible signal - P1246 - 35-10 intermittent... I put some DeOxit on the contacts inside the connector to the sensor, and it's been 5 months without any problems in this regard...

FYI...

Yuri.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
ymz said:
I put some DeOxit on the contacts inside the connector to the sensor,
Yuri, Just double checking, this connector is not at the glow plug 3#, but about 6 inches (?) down and just behind a similar connector? Guess I need to scan that Bently page.

And...DeOxit? Is it a spray? you just spray it on the connector that you pull off (that is, the piece in your hand), or try to spray the stationary half of the connector? thanks...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yes, the connector for the needle lift sensor is about 6 inches away...

DeOxit D5 is one of the favorite products around here - especially useful for cleaning up the corrosion that builds up inside glow plug harnesses...

That said, it's not that easy to find !!! (Google / Froogle helps) The manufacturer is Caig. It comes as either a tiny bottle with a brush (that's what I have), a very small spray can (that used to be available at what used to be called Radio Shack), or a "normal"-sized spray can... Just remember: you only need a tiny bit at a time...

Yuri.