///// Needed : Source for good cooling system hose kit etc .... /////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi All,

I have been noticing a slight decrease in the coolant ball for the last 50K or so miles ... not a lot but noticeable and concerning ( as in head gasket concerning BUT the oil analysis always came back good in that regards BUT I have not done one for this oil change yet).

Anyways, I filled the coolant system from the low line level on the ball back to the top fill line on the ball and notice after about 50 K it is back to the lower line again.... so something is happening but luckily over a fair amount of time and miles

Upon closer examination of everything , I saw my first "wet spot" (not even a drip just wet to the point where you rub your finger on it it is wet) coming from the upper radiator by the plastic connector piece with the small hose attached to it .... the part of the hose that was slightly "wet" was the hose section near the clamp closest to the engine on the upper radiator hose (on the plastic side NOT the
side by the engine and coolant glow plugs).

I thought about just replacing the plastic upper radiator connector piece and that section of upper radiator hose and clamps BUT then I was thinking paranoid thoughts and (like shocks etc) maybe things should be replaced in sets since when one goes maybe the others are not far behind.

What is the typical wisdom on just replacing everything when it comes to coolant hoses VS just replacing the offending pieces ?

How long do or should radiator / coolant hoses last ?

What are some good brands and sources for these hoses ?

I am thinking an entire kit with everything would be best / easiest and I have heard that silicone hoses (like used in police cars / cabs) are possible even better than "regular" rubber hoses . Any ideas / sources on the silicone hoses?

FWIW my other hoses look and feel OK (hard / firm not squishy or bulging .... but interestingly the one that is "bad" looks good too BUT maybe JUST the plastic piece went "bad" (like small crack etc)..... UNLESS the slight leakage somehow erodes the rubber in such a way that even IF it is the plastic piece is causing the issue it has eroded the rubber also requiring its replacement ? OR , If it is just the plastic piece that is bad can the hose simply be replaced?

I admit I am leaning towards replacing everything hose hose wise since the car is 18 years and 439K miles old .....

What are your thoughts and experiences ?

I am thinking about this kit BUT is does NOT seem to include heater hoses ? .... Are the brands used in the kit decent ? ... I don't really need the radiator BUT maybe I can keep it in case I hit a deer OR maybe sell it OR just change it out because its old too ?

See link :

I LIKE the lifetime warranty on everything they sell so if I do get it from there no more parts costs ever ... just labor and that could be nice piece of mind.

Anyways, hoping to do this ASAP because now I know about the issue and want to get it resolved before driving the car too much more ....

Actually that is a good question too .... would you drive or continue driving it as it is ? ( I had been driving it no issues but was peeking under the hood look at stuff in general (mainly for modding) so had I NOT seen it I would have driven it anyways .... BUT sometimes KNOWING can be an in issue too).

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Andrew

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I wouldn't restate replacing all the hoses and that age and miles! You obviously keep a close eye on things. If OE. hoses last THAT long, why wastes $ on silicone??? A good flush and another bazillion miles

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
That kit is more of a while you're replacing the radiator kit than a hose replacement kit. There are many more hoses under the hood. VW hoses hold up excellent, they are just typically not an issue. It is likely that most replacements would not be the same quality, Even compared to an 18 year old hose. Inspect them and take care of any issues you find, but other than that leave it alone.

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
That kit is more of a while you're replacing the radiator kit than a hose replacement kit. There are many more hoses under the hood. VW hoses hold up excellent, they are just typically not an issue. It is likely that most replacements would not be the same quality, Even compared to an 18 year old hose. Inspect them and take care of any issues you find, but other than that leave it alone.
Weirdly enough, all my VW's have the factory hoses. I did replace a one inch section on my ALH due to an oil leak. But that's it.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Weirdly enough, all my VW's have the factory hoses. I did replace a one inch section on my ALH due to an oil leak. But that's it.
Hi

Up until approximately a week ago I never had any leaks or problems with the cooling system on my Jetta...
And that's after roughly 440 k miles

I guess being that I drive for work I didn't relish the idea of breaking down somewhere and thought it might be best and easiest to prevent that by replacing everything.... kind of a pm thing.

When I found a silicone hose kit I was surprised that the sheer number of hoses in there ... I didn't actually buy the kit ... I just was surprised by how many hoses there were.

Eventually , I did reject the idea of silicone because apparently (unbeknownst to me at the time) silicone sweats out fluids).... I noticed that somewhat on my silicone boost hoses .... I never actually used silicone for coolant hoses but I did read online later that coolant tends to disappear using silicone hoses because of their permeability Etc

After thinking about it more (and about all the vehicles I've ever driven in life ) I don't think I've ever had more than maybe three hoses break in that entire time.... and I'm 57 years old and started driving when I was 16... and that includes my immediate family too as far as hoses busting or leaking in general.

So with that , I think I'm just going to replace the hose that is actually leaking / seeping ....

When I get a chance I'll look at some of the other hoses for signs of leakage or dampness because that's how this one started out .... luckily it was on top and in a fairly easy to see spot and thats how i saw it .... I'll have to probe around and look for some of the stuff on the bottom excetera.

I guess I'll join everybody else seemingly in the run until they start seeping or blow category ....

That makes me a little nervous though but I'm wondering on the average which hose typically goes first assuming no mechanical abrasions?

On my step van the hose that let loose was a heater hose and in the other instances it was upper radiator hose (Jetta current issue) and lower radiator hose on a previously owned pickup truck.

Maybe there is no specific hose that tends to go based on that or maybe I was just unusual?

Last edited: