Need Your Thoughts and Prayers for Chris of Langhorne VW

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Oddly, I had logged here on this morning to look up Chris' numerical nickname so I could pass it onto an acquaintance who is looking to get into a new(er) TDI. That can wait.

Best wishes, Chris, speedy recovery!

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
My best wishes and prayers for Chris, get well so I can buy a car from you !

TomK

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 Black, Jetta 2009 Platinum Gray
Chris, I hope you are back on your feet soon and best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Tom

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
JettaJake said:
Oddly, I had logged here on this morning to look up Chris' numerical nickname so I could pass it onto an acquaintance who is looking to get into a new(er) TDI. That can wait.
Best wishes, Chris, speedy recovery!
Harvieux said:
Even Matt, the CEO/CFO of Langhorne VW will cover for Chris. Rocco is Chris' direct boss and all will do the right thing as well. Just make sure one specifies that they are buying from tdiclub exposure and mention Chris when making a deal.
Actually, my suggestion is to pass along Chris' name and the points of contact of Matt or Rocco at the dealership for your buddy. It would probably do Chris a world of good to know that his sales are continuing, his customers are being served, and that there his commission income is continuing for he & his family.

Just make sure that your acquaintance (or anyone else) mentions Chris and the TDIClub by name and ask the dealership to ensure that credit/commissions for the sale go to Chris.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Harvieux said:
He also has a severe case of sleep apnea requiring him to wear an extremely uncomfortable CPAP mask.
I can't imagine having to cope with all the other things he's going through and then in addition having to get accustomed to this "Darth Vader" nighttime annoyance.
I've now had mine for a week. I suppose that if it keeps me from sleeping, it prevents "sleep" apnea, right?

I sent my wishes for his quick and full recovery to the Lansdale VW website's "contact us" link, letting those there know that the TDI community is pulling for Chris.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Just saw this, best wishes, thoughts and prayers towards a quick recovery!
-BB

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
Just spoke to Chris and he is now at home. His BP went down but the doc says it most likely won't go down much more until he takes care of the sleep disorder. Chris will still be out of commission for 10-12 more days minimum and will be going to sleep therapy on Mon. He's by far not out of the woods yet but, this latest news is so, so positive. Regards, Harv

Budrow 3

TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
^ that news that he's improving is a big sigh of relief.

i've been able to buy a car from Chris Farnham this past september.
even tho it was vwcpo and not even a tdi, he made the car buying experience the easiest and best i've ever known, on par with the others i'd heard of on these and other forums. drove from rhode island to philly for the purchase, would do it again. lol, it's kinda cool to have bought from the Legend himself.

Chris, your reputation for excellence preceeds you, i'm sure you've worked hard at getting to that point. when i have more money i plan to get more car from you. your loyal customers will wait for you. so take whatever time you need to get back to 100%. even so, i hope a speedy recovery for you.
-Mike
B

PhDwannabe

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf & 1998 Jetta - Both Sold :(
I've never even talked to Chris, but from what I read on these forums I have the utmost respect for him and wish him a speedy and full recovery. It's people like Chris that make this country and the VW family great to be a part of:)

kirmet

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Galactic Blue
Thanks for answering my questions in the past Chris, Get well soon and remember that taking care of yourself so you are there for your loved ones is the most important thing.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
damn! Been about three years ago now since I purchased my TDI from Chris. Really good guy.....really cool ringtone on his cell phone when I met him :)

Get well soon Chris! You will be in our prayers for a quick and full recovery.

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Chris,

I hope you recover soon. Nothing but good things come from your sales. Rest up and I hope to see you providing great service soon. My thoughts are with you and your family.

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
I only met Chris about a week ago, and he was setting things up to help me buy a TDI Sportwagen. He's been nothing short of spectacular. Knowledgeable, honest, fair and a great guy to deal with.

Here's to hoping all goes well with your recovery, Chris. We'll talk when you're back in action.

Joe

n3216v

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Take care of yourself

Chris
Hope you get to feeling better soon. I'll remember you in my prayers.

Your Alabama Friend

golden01

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 VW Rabbit Truck
hang in there

My thoughts go out to you and your family Chris. God's speed.:) You will be well in no time.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
Hi Chris, hope you see this and are getting better! I stumbled across this thread and was sad to hear you are having health problems. Again i hope you are getting better and the health car system is not making things too much worse.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Chris, best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Be sure you get a comfortable CPAP interface with a swivel. I've been using one for 2 years for mild OSA and my quality of sleep has never been better. I dunno why everybody whines so much about them, I love my CPAP.

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Harvieux said:
He also has a severe case of sleep apnea requiring him to wear an extremely uncomfortable CPAP mask.
Lug_Nut said:
I can't imagine having to cope with all the other things he's going through and then in addition having to get accustomed to this "Darth Vader" nighttime annoyance.
I've now had mine for a week. I suppose that if it keeps me from sleeping, it prevents "sleep" apnea, right?

I sent my wishes for his quick and full recovery to the Lansdale VW website's "contact us" link, letting those there know that the TDI community is pulling for Chris.
Harv, thanks for starting this thread. Best of wishes to Chris and to a speedy recovery. And if you can, pass this along:

CPAP is a *****; I've had a mask for about 7-8 months now that I haven't worn much at all. I'm not sure what mask they gave him but if it's just the nasal mask (only covers the nose) I have had a terrible experience with that one. It's probably because of the fact that despite all my efforts I can't get my sinuses to be totally clear. Ever. If Chris (and perhaps you too Jon) are anything like me that mask just feels awkward and it feels like you can't breathe while you have it on because of the pressure. I often wakeup halfway through the night and rip that damn thing off, but I know it's not good for me to continue as I am. If this is the case, he might want to try a full face mask; my sleep doctors tell me it could make all the difference (the doctor even wears one!). Allows you to mouth breathe while sleeping, it's probably awesome, I really gotta pick one up.

Chris, I've never had any direct contact with you, but you've helped so many people on this board and I'm sure they'd agree that you're a class act. Get well soon, you know we're 100% behind you.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
blizzak said:
CPAP is a *****;
Total load of bollocks - mine has been great. My quality of sleep is excellent now, as is my wife's, who previously had to endure my snoring :(.

I had a nasal pillow style mask initially, and it worked fine - but wasn't that good for maneuverability. I'm a fairly active sleeper, so I turn over frequently. Now I've got a Respironics Comfort Gel nasal mask, which has a swivel where the tube joins the mask and it's great. Seals nicely, easy to move & comfortable. Don't just take the first mask they give you, take the time to find one that fits your face well and will give you the freedom to roll around in your sleep.

It will take a few days to get used to it, so try just laying in bed watching TV or reading with the CPAP mask on for a few hours. Now I have trouble falling asleep if I'm not wearing it - akin to how I feel funny sitting in a car seat without the seatbelt on.

They didn't prescribe this to you to annoy you, they did it for your health. So wear the dang thing!

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
blizzak said:
CPAP is a *****
scurvy said:
Total load of bollocks - mine has been great. My quality of sleep is excellent now, as is my wife's, who previously had to endure my snoring :(.
Fair enough, I didn't mean to put down the procedure. Just that I'm young and tall, and not overweight (or so I try and convince myself), doc said I had a narrow palate, so surgery may do it for me. I am opposed to surgery in any form if it's unnecessary. If I was in better shape (although I don't consider myself in bad shape), perhaps my apnea would disappear. I guess that's what really frustrates me about it...

scurvy said:
Don't just take the first mask they give you, take the time to find one that fits your face well and will give you the freedom to roll around in your sleep.
Yeah, the thing is, I took the one they gave me because OHIP covered it 75% (they wouldn't cover any other mask) - by the way a single payer system owns (but let's not go there). But I definitely have been wanting to get something different. You guys have cheap prices over there! Seems we're getting hosed in Canada again - I'm thinking of picking up this one - while Fisher & Paykel has a newer model, that one is better rated and very good cost-wise.
scurvy said:
They didn't prescribe this to you to annoy you, they did it for your health. So wear the dang thing!
Amen to that. But like I'm saying, I don't think this mask that just covers the nose will ever do it for me. I'll try not to peter out and use it in the meantime though.

Hoping we're not getting too off topic here; hopefully Chris will get some kind of help out of our exchange.

kynimrod

TDI
'09 Sportwagen TDI
Just looked thru the thread and last year around this time bought a car from Chris for my mother. What a greatguy and straight shooter.
Chris, take care and get better soon.
Terrell

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
I've been using a bipap machine with just a nasal mask for over 10 years for my sleep apnea. I didn't think it was so bad once I trained myself to breathe through my nose. But of course they don't work for everyone.

My sleep is much better now, I used to stop breathing 45 times an hour before I got the machine. So I function a lot better these days. Less tired overall. I started out with a cpap but it gave me too much gas, I would fart for 2 hours after waking up every morning, so they gave me a bipap which varies the pressure when you exhale.

PS a long hose helps with the machines, I have an 8 foot hose.

Hoping you're doing better Chris.

TwinsDad

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDi Salsa Red, '12 Passat SEL TDi Bluish
Harvieux said:
Spoke to Chris a bit a go. He's very anxious to get out but, I think he's starting to realize how serious his condition is. They are having trouble getting his blood pressure down and he will not be permitted to leave until it can be regulated. He also has a severe case of sleep apnea requiring him to wear an extrelely uncomfortable CPAP mask. Chris needs convincing that everything else such as work, family, friends, and other current responsibilities need to go on the back burner for now and he needs to totally concentrate on getting well. I'm sure he appreciates all your outpouring of support. Regards, Harv
Hey Chris, Sounds like me two months ago. Listen to the Doctors!!! BS are way dowm, BP is way down, weight is down, CPAP is working, I feel a lot better, and so will you. BTW, my Salsa Red JSW w/ gold pinstriping gets a lot of looks and is an awesome car. Thanks, and God speed! - Pat

SteveZ1

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
Hi Chris,

I just want to make sure you keep doing the right thing! Listen to your Doctors, listen to your family/friends, listen to that little voice that says, I have to get better, I will do what it takes.

I know I need to better at this myself, so I am passing along some lessons here learned the hard way.

The business you have built, the friendships you have made, will all be waiting for you, don't worry about the other stuff.

Get better, take your time, this cannot be rushed!

Your buddy.

Steve

eddif

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD Automatic
May everyone use their tree of life to send you a breath of blessing, and may we all let our same internal tree bear a fruit for you.

eddif