NEED Turbo oil feed line in Denali!!!

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'm up from Montana in Denali National Park and just had the turbo oil feed line spring a leak just above the banjo bolt--it's a fairly new line too!!! I was suppose to leave today--latest tomorrow--so I could get back in time to play Air Force this weekend in Spokane (I'm Air National Guard). No one in Anchorage has anything on-hand and one will have to be overnighted. The dealership can't get it on order until tomorrow, so this is my last attempt in the meantime. I'm likely going to overnight one from IDParts instead since I can place the order when they open up and have it on the way before I can even place the order with VW.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Everyone knows how well I like epoxy....... I'd remove the line, clean it with carb cleaner, rough up the leak area and then JB Weld!

Lastest example:

The AC fittings on my AC unit (mod to mate Vanagon AC lines to ALH Compressor fittings) are operating with no leaks because JB Weld became my only option due to circumstances ,,,,,,,,,,,, absolutely no leaks on low or high side! Remember, the high side is well over 200 PSI and damn hot!

EDIT: I forgot to say, I've had the Turbo oil line off my ALH in the Vanagon project as least a dozen times ........... it does not leak and is dry as a bone! I have re-used the same copper washers at the banjo fitting each time! No leaks on either end!

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
If you can find a hydraulic shop, the steel line can be cut on each side of the break, and some sort of hose and fittings used to connect the two ends.

If crack is small, the epoxy might get you some miles.

This line breaks if the support on #4 exhaust manifold stud iis missing. Vibes kill it then,

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep, vibes on the line will also play havoc with the epoxy too!...... If I did the epoxy, I'd add support with hose claps, tape, etc.

A friend of mine used epoxy on a two cylinder Kohler engine in 2000. It broke a rod and cracked the case. He replaced all the internal parts and then added the epoxy to the crack/hole in the aluminum block ......... engine still running strong on his band saw!

Ski in NC has an excellent suggestion......

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I started thinking of trying that since it could be Friday before the part could be driven down from Fairbanks.
Yup, it's missing the brace. A LOT of gravel road driving recently!

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Sending you a PM. I have a used feed line sitting in my garage. I'm near Seattle, FedEx is 1/2 mile from my house and is open for two more hours. May be able to save you some time, since I'm closer...

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
So after sanding down the line, I finally was able to see the actual fracture. It's a tiny crack right above the joint for the banjo bolt. I'm going the JB Weld route with the addition of some rubber hose and a hose clamp for redundancy since I have 2,500 miles ahead of me.
I think I'm going to go with Bora's replacement (http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1123) since it's beefier and not a pain in the ass to install and remove. I replaced the current line in December 2011 when I put a new turbo on around 253,000ish miles--sitting at ~266,XXX now. A lot of rough road since then--about 200 miles of gravel road in the last three weeks alone!
Here's to JB Weld!

Victorjay

TDI
13 VW Jetta sport wagon
I wouldn't use the quick set, the regular is GOLD standard! Good Luck with the repair and journey back!

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Well I made it back, and the JB Weld and hose clamp worked like a champ--the other series of events though, that's another story!

Two more flats, driver-side windshield wiper quit working altogether and during the home stretch in a gravel construction zone in Whitefish my dogbone snapped! Did I mention my bank after years of globe trotting decided to put a fraud alert on my cards three weeks into my return from my Alaska trip??? I guess being Air Force and making a fuel stop on an Air Force base and taking a route that was leading to the place in wince a came looked pretty suspicious.

ANYWAYS, dogbone and the wiper linkage were also replaced in Dec11!