Need-to-Knows after Extended Intake Manifold Cleaning?

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
We recently pulled off the intake manifold on Ella, our 2000 ALH, to clean her. She was about 75% clogged. Bolts 1, 3, 4, 5, and 6 came off without struggle but 2 thwarted us and will have to be replaced. We ordered the whole kit (incl. gaskets) from World Impex and are awaiting their arrival.

We cleaned the manifold first with oven cleaner and then soaked it in a lye/water solution and scrubbed.

First question is: do we need to clean the manifold with anything more than water before returning it to the car? (Meaning, is there any danger from returning the manifold to the car with trace amounts of cleaning residue?)

Second question is: we got the manifold off on Sunday, covered up the openings to the block with plastic wrap and tape (not sealed, but covered), and covered all the hoses to prevent anything from dropping in. It hasn't been wet here in DC, but it has been cold. Should we be concerned about cold and/or moisture when we return the manifold and close the system back up?

ov_of_newmexico

TDI
2000 Golf 1.9 TDI ALH Manual
peace_of_soul said:
First question is: do we need to clean the manifold with anything more than water before returning it to the car? (Meaning, is there any danger from returning the manifold to the car with trace amounts of cleaning residue?)

Second question is: we got the manifold off on Sunday, covered up the openings to the block with plastic wrap and tape (not sealed, but covered), and covered all the hoses to prevent anything from dropping in. It hasn't been wet here in DC, but it has been cold. Should we be concerned about cold and/or moisture when we return the manifold and close the system back up?
My opinion:

There are some places offering ultrasonic cleaning services that seem to work well on those manifolds.
If you are happy with how clean you got it so far, water should get off the cleaner you used. Get the manifold dry before re-installing it.
I would at least blow the inside of the manifold thoroughly with compressed air (after it's dry) while you have it off the engine; sometimes there is residue in some of the corners and crevice after the cleaning operation, potentially flaking off. It would not be good for those solid particles to get inside the engine.

I believe there is not enough moisture to be concerned, especially since you covered the opening.

I hope others agree with my advice. Good luck with your project.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Yes,do not hook the EGR back up leave it intact just hook it back up to the EGR valve.Get yourself some blockoff plates and be done with Coked up Intakes.You will get a CEL and have to figure out how you want to deal with that

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Stick the intake in a bucket of water for 24 hours. It will neutralize any residue.

Don't worry about blocking off the EGR. Drive it right, and you won't have any intake clogging problem.

I've been looking at intakes I've cleaned since ULSD came into use. I see a light fuzzy coating lining the intake. No buildup. Some of these cars have 100K miles since cleaning. I don't think it's all teaching the owners how to drive their car properly....;)

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Good job on cleaning the intake. As long as its clean now residue won't be an issue. Don't worry about the EGR as ULSD has all but eliminated the problem...that and a good Italian Tune up periodically. Paramedick stole my thunder once again... darn these big paws of mine.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
agree .

I used paint thinner and soaked mine , then brushed most of the gunk off..then used carburator cleaner. Final rinse with some detergent and water. Used low tech hair dryer to remove fumes.

ULSD minimizes clogging. But just to be sure, you can still reroute the CCV, and use VAG COM to adjust egr to 370 mg/stroke. Or block off EGR completely.

Best not have any fumes go into the cylinders.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Houpty GT said:
Works fine for the intake manifold. Scrape out the neck first so it doesn't spit flameballs at you. DO NOT attempt to flame clean it with the EGR attached. Do the EGR by hand.

Be aware when you flame clean an intake that there will be a lot of ash/carbon in the intake. It is imperative you run something in the ports and the neck to loosen it. Then pressure wash it for final clean.

MikeB4

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan, Candy White
New gaskets required?

Hi,

I did the intake manifold cleaning on my B4 last summer. Unfortunately, I suddenly have a new noise: a loud hissing when under load. I cannot find any obvious leaks in the compressed air plumbing or intercooler. I am starting to wonder: Was it stupid of me to re-use the original intake manifold gasket and EGR cooler exhaust gasket? I thought they looked ok . . . :eek:

Thanks,

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
MikeB4 said:
Hi,

I did the intake manifold cleaning on my B4 last summer. Unfortunately, I suddenly have a new noise: a loud hissing when under load. I cannot find any obvious leaks in the compressed air plumbing or intercooler. I am starting to wonder: Was it stupid of me to re-use the original intake manifold gasket and EGR cooler exhaust gasket? I thought they looked ok . . . :eek:

Thanks,

what paramedick said.

There are some people who reuse the gaskets with no problems. But obviously, if you do, you run the risk of leaks .

New gaskets on all big jobs.... Only ones I reuse are the ones that are easily accessible and easy to replace, and then if I really do not have any gaskets.

MikeB4

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan, Candy White
Live and Learn!

I did look at the input ports, and they looked scary! I didn't want to risk cleaning them, though. OK, so new gaskets it is. I am getting tired of all the hissing under the hood! Can someone help me with the parts list? Let's see, I need:

Intake manifold gasket, egr gaskets, oil feed line gaskets:
http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1185

Intake manifold bolts:
http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1017

Exhaust manifold gasket:
http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=984

Exhaust manifold nuts or bolts: Part #??

I can't remember, what connects the exhaust manifold to the turbo? Is that another pipe with gaskets on both ends to replace?

Turbo oil feed line (mine is leaking):
http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1070

Turbo oil return line & gasket: Didn't see one for a 1Z. Part #??

EGR cooler accordion pipe (maybe) part #?

Isn't there a round rubber O-ring on the intercooler input that I am forgetting? Part #?

Plastic pipe that feeds fresh air input to turbo (mine is held on with one bolt, the other bolt-hole tab is broken off). Part #?

New hose clamps to replace the awful ones on the compressed combustion air pipes.

New red, black, and blue vacuum lines (I have seen that kit somewhere on the forums before).

Any other nuts, bolts, or gaskets I'm forgetting?

Thanks!

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
While you are at it, might as well remove the valve cover's interior baffle and clean it well. It snaps apart, once the screws are removed. Inside, there are two stainless steel wool pads which removes oil mist from the crankcase blowby. These clog HORRIBLY and then the oil mist isn't fully removed which coats the intake, intercooler and manifold. This with the soot from the EGR clogs the manifold.

Best bet for cleaning the pads is a soak in kero/diesel for a few hours, then a pressure washer blast. Repeat until it looks like stainless steel.