Need to change oil

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
I live in a community with restrictions, I can't have the car up on jack stands, I have heard of people using a pump to extract the oil. What pump, how to do it and were to buy it are my questions.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aug

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
If you have the vehicle up on stands, changing the oil from the bottom is a few screws away. You just need a catch container to place under the pan. Then pour the old oil in the containers for re-cycling.

Others will chime in on the various methods and tools to do a vacuum change, which is done from the top using the dip stick hole rather than the bottom.

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
Do ramps fall under that category? Apparently nobody does their own maintenance in your neighborhood?

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
I drive mine up on two pieces of cut 2x8 boards. Two boards under each front tire. Just lifts it 3inches and thats enough room to do the oil change.

AUGSX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GL TDI 5spd
No lifts, ramps or jack stands. I am looking for specific info on an oil change pump.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Pela oil extractor is what you want to search for. There is lots of reading about it, but the bottom line is that the 99% believe that it is a great option for those with limited access to a place for automotive repair.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)

Randall

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 & 2000 new beetles
Oil extractors

I use a Pella oil pump I got at Cabella's. Many out door sporting goods and boat stores sell them. People use them to change oil on their boats.

I have a panzer plate on my bug so using a pump is way easy. I would never do it the hard way again. I even suck the oil out around the filter housing.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to rotate the tires every 10k, along with some other stuff. There is much more to PM than "oil changes".

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
Check out your local west marine. I have the moeller they sell which is now west marine-branded. It works great.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I use a Pella oil pump I got at Cabella's. Many out door sporting goods and boat stores sell them. People use them to change oil on their boats.

I have a panzer plate on my bug so using a pump is way easy. I would never do it the hard way again. I even suck the oil out around the filter housing.

It would help searching if I had spelled Pella correctly.