Need to buy new starter - need recommendations

RebeccaTH

TDI
2005 VW Jetta
I have a 2005 TDI. The starter in it now is from O’Reilys. It’s the 2nd one from there. The first one lasted 1 week. This one close to a year.

anyone able to recommenced where I can buy a starter that would be more reliable?

I’m not car savvy. I know to check my oil and air pressure and when to get oil changes. My son will be replacing the starter for me, I just want to purchase from a company with more reliability.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Hi Rebecca, and welcome to the forum.

Most would consider Bosch to be the gold standard for starters on TDI engines. Unfortunately I can't help with where to buy in your specific region but a Google search will probably turn up multiple Bosch dealers. Typically they will want the old starter back as a core, so buying local may be easier than thru the mail, and they can be heavy to ship.

Black00Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Black 5spd
I found my starter on line for under $100 with Bosch name on it and no core charge. Have had it in for over a year with no problems.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Idparts has reman Bosch starters the one I linked is for an 05 Jetta with the BEW engine the later model 05 jettas have the BRM engine which may be a different starter. Just enter your cars info in the bar at the top of the page.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Another possible source of info