Need source for Aux Heater replacement

crdouger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 & 06 jetta TDI's
I need to replace the auxiliary heater on my wife's 06 Jetta. It's part number 1K0 963 235 E, but I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably priced replacement one. If anybody has a working used one, I'd be interested. I've heard of aftermarket ones for sale online for about $150, but I can't find any available online for less than $400. At that rate, it's not worth it. Any advice??

Thanks.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Y do you need a new one? These have 5 resistors on them that were cold soldered at the factory. If you resolder these they work again. Google around.

Kalter|Tod

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (BRM)
Y do you need a new one? These have 5 resistors on them that were cold soldered at the factory. If you resolder these they work again. Google around.

Like stated above remove the heater element from the car. (It takes 10 mins tops) Then just re solder the cold soldered resistors on the pcb (There are 5 of them) Replace heater and it will work perfectly.

Mine went out a year ago and I did this fix and she has been running ever since.

crdouger

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 & 06 jetta TDI's
I appreciate the advice. I did pull the heater and tried resoldering the five resistors but it did not fix it. I'm assuming something else is broken. The car has 340,000miles, so it could be that it wore out. Is there any way to test my resoldering work?

Bambaataa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta BRM 6MT; '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI GSW
Test for continuity on the end of the soldered spots.

This was how I identified which of the resistors need to be soldered.

MINT GTI

TDI
Unfourtunatly, I don't own any TDI's
Does anyone have a picture showing the specific resistors that need attn?

thanks,
Milos.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Like stated above remove the heater element from the car. (It takes 10 mins tops)...
Can anybody provide any insight on how to remove that lower console panel? There is one screw in it up by the pedal. All I can find in my searches is that it just wiggles out, but mine feels pretty tight and I don't want to break any hidden clips...

Edit: Never mind...I got it.

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
You don't need to resolder per se. Just put the hot tip to the ends of the resister for 5 seconds or so and that should do it. Worked for me.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I need to replace the auxiliary heater on my wife's 06 Jetta. It's part number 1K0 963 235 E, but I'm having a hard time finding a reasonably priced replacement one. If anybody has a working used one, I'd be interested. I've heard of aftermarket ones for sale online for about $150, but I can't find any available online for less than $400. At that rate, it's not worth it. Any advice??
Thanks.
Have you tried salvage yards?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
You don't need to resolder per se. Just put the hot tip to the ends of the resister for 5 seconds or so and that should do it. Worked for me.
I ended up re-soldering them anyway. One of the resistors was definitely broken on one end...as soon as the heat hit one end it almost fell off the board. I just have to stick the heater back in the car now and see if the fault will clear.

It's not really a big deal if the thing doesn't work...I'm just killin' time and working on some cheap/free repairs while the car is sitting.

aheng

TDI
2006 1.9 Jetta Wolfsburg Sedan
My 2006 Jetta had a hidden auxiliary heater, and it cost me $.25 to enable it

I got my 2006 2007 Wolfsburg Jetta from Copart. I noticed that it seemed to have an auxiliary heater layout, so I looked into it further. Sure enough it had an auxilairy heater.

But the configuration label on the hood was coded no auxilary heater.

Well I checked with Auburn Volkswagen, Auburn Washington, and they speculated that all it needed was an adaptation.

And they were right!

A friend with VCDS adapted it, and I spent about USD$.25 to stuff a fuse into fuse slot #11, and now I have heat after 45 seconds. And though it is not hot enough to wear a tank top in the car, the aux heater, coupled with the very effective seat heater, keeps me comfortable in Seattle traffic.

auxiliary heater aux heater auxillary heater cabin heater auxilliary heater

Here are some random notes from this TDI Forum about aux heaters :

I heard about the Aux Heater after posting about my "8" mile warmup.
Seems that in some cars the Central Electronics Controller (09) has a bit to enable/disable it set in the disabled setting. Mine was set to 0, changing it to 1 gave me the morning HEAT.

BYTE 04, BIT 0

If this was posted before I missed it. I was up late last night reading the manual (insomnia). For the 2006 I saw on Book 3.2 Page 80 the fuse box numbers. Fuse box A 15, 25 and 47 are for "Auxiliary heating*" so if you pop open the fuse box you should be able to see if you're wired for aux heating or not.

Added for clarity: There are 2 controllers label Aux Heater. The controller labeled "18 Aux Heater" is the controller I activated by mistake and got the fault code because what it controls is not installed on N/A cars.

Anyway, if you go to the installed controllers tab in VCDS, the last controller, on that tab, which is called "7D Aux heater" is the controller you want for measuring. Measuring block 1 has info on the Z-35 element which is the element installed in the N/A TDI's.

I tested this with VCDS and found Z-35 to be drawing about 635 watts till the coolant temp turned off the controller. I will have to wait for the car to cool down to figure out what else the other measuring blocks tell me.

Below is lifted from an old post. If you do a search for "Aux heater" in only the A5 threads, there is a ton of info in the older threads.

There is some confusion about the Aux heater. There is a controller called [18] Auxiliary Heater. That is not the controller that commands the Aux heater on and off. [18] Auxiliary Heater is for an option NA cars don't have.

On the A5 and probably the later cars, the Aux heater is identified as Z35. Look in the the controllers for a measuring block called Z35 Auxiliary Heater. Once you find it, the controller it resides in controls the Aux heater.

Address 7D: Aux. Heat
Part No SW: 1K0 963 235 E HW: 1K0 963 235 E
Component: PTC-Element 0404
No fault code found.
End

For output info: 7D Aux. Heater -> Measuring blocks
For enabling bit: 09 Cent. Elec. -> Coding -> Long Coding -> Byte 4 Bit 0 or 1 (I believe 0 is for Webasto, 1 is for PTC, but do not quote me on that).