Need Some Guidance; Non VW Question

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Hi All;

I need some guidance. My daughter is going to school in Maryland, she's 22 and somewhat naive when it comes to automobile maintenance. We've tried and tried to instill in her the importance of scheduled maintenance, but to her, schedueld maintenance is filling the gas tank when its empty and maybe, if we're lucky, she'll check the oil level. Here's my situation:

She's in Maryland going to school, we're in Oregon. We passed on our 2000 Subaru Outback, 5spd. manual to her 2 years ago. It's time for her to have the timing belt replaced and I don't want to send her to a dealership for the service. Does anybody know of a trusted mechanic that does good work on Subarus in or around the Baltimore Maryland metro area?
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd be happy to do it if she was passing through here. :eek:

Sorry, no help otherwise. Pretty straightforward timing belt job though. I would do a water pump and reseal the oil pump while I was in there for sure.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
I wish!!

Oilhammer,
I wish we could bring the car to you. I'd consider your offer in a second, but the car will remain in Blatimore this summer as she is taking summer classes in preparation for graduate school.

When I drove the car out to Maryland in Jan, 2008, I went right through St. Louis. At that time, there was no need for the scheduled TB job.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
cartalk.com has a list of trusted mechanics. I don't believe they are as well checked out as the ones here, but I believe it would be a generally safe list. You might also want to check with your neighbors, family, friends and co-workers to see who they use.