Need Some Advice On Next Step.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
Hello!
I have been on tdiclub for a bit. Doing more lurking and reading than posting. I've finally bought a car that I'm keeping and am deciding to have a little fun with it. Not too many worked over diesel cars in my neck of the woods and I've always enjoyed being different.

I currently have an 01 Jetta. She's had a new top end installed due to a failed timing belt about 10K ago. The bottom end currently has 275K.

I have the following modifications done already:
PP764 "Stage 3" Nozzles
11mm Pump
Lift Pump
Malone Stg. 3
PD150 Intake/EGR Delete
2.5 Profidiesel turboback.
SB Stage 2 Daily Clutch and 14lb flywheel
All New/Upgraded Suspension Bushings all around
Koni Coilovers
Vr6 Spindles/Brakes.

I still have the stock vnt-15 and intercooler. I've tried to build the chassis of the car first to handle power and be able to stop, before I actually did anything significant power wise. I'll be installing the injectors, exhaust and turbo this weekend. The car is in tip top shape maintenance wise and I try to keep on top of any issues.

I will be looking to upgrade the turbo and intercooler here in the spring/early summer, if he vnt15 stays together that long.

I'm a bit unsure as to what route to take. The car is a daily driver with a relatively short work commute (<15mi one way) but it's not my only vehicle, so I do have a back-up in case something goes wrong. I do utilize a Frostheater to help it with the short commutes.

I was kind of leaning towards a 17/22, but since Garrett has discontinued them, I'm not sure if I'll be able to find any once the time comes. I've also been eyeballing DarkSides GTB1756VK, but at 2 grand and up, this pushes me back towards a 17/22.

I would ultimately like to end up around the 200whp mark. Nothing to crazy, but a fun car that surprises a few people.

Should I upgrade the oil cooler as well to the thicker one? I drive the car with a purpose and have done "greater than legal speeds" for a few hours on end.
I also plan on a 5th gear swap and intercooler in the summer as well. Should I plan for an LSD, or would I be content at my power level without one?
At the 200hp mark, I assume that I should be studding the car before I install the turbo. Should I do anything to freshen the bottom end? New Rings?

I do have an oil consumption issue at prolonged high speeds. I take a trip to Ky every year and usually blast through the backwoods of WV. I burn about 3/4 of a quart in about 1k miles at high speeds (High speeds is 90<), but around town and my normal commute I don't lose any in 10K.

Basically, I just need pointed in the right direction as the next steps to take. I don't enjoy paying for things twice and I do the job the first time. Your two cents is welcome as well.

Thanks!

Untitled by SmallsVw, on Flickr

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
I'm very impressed with that motor!

Check with your tuner, the would know the route to go with their tune to get you there.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
I'm very impressed with that motor!

Check with your tuner, the would know the route to go with their tune to get you there.
Thanks.

I try to keep up with it. I just got the injectors from you guys!

I need to find a local Malone Dealer or go hang out with Jeff. Although I have no complaints whom I go through now, I just would like someone who I could call and dicuss concerns if needed.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
to get 200whp around 230 crank

you need a gtb2056vk turbo and race 520 nozzles at least
and a fmic. 3 bar map sensor.
why you all go with a small 17/22 turbo ? its yust a gt1749vb with bigger compressor wheel.
It still limited to small turbine wheel.

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
to get 200whp around 230 crank

you need a gtb2056vk turbo and race 520 nozzles at least
and a fmic. 3 bar map sensor.
why you all go with a small 17/22 turbo ? its yust a gt1749vb with bigger compressor wheel.
It still limited to small turbine wheel.
You can get 200whp out of a 1756vk. Although, I'd definitely go FMIC. I would also suggest a 4 bar map to provide a little headroom. A built motor is also an suggestion.

Last edited:

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
the 1756vk has struggle to make even close to 200whp most of them arond 210 chp

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
You can get 200whp out of a 1756vk. Although, I'd definitely go FMIC. I would also suggest a 4 bar map to provide a little headroom. A built motor is also an suggestion.
FMIC is planned for as well as a 4 bar map.

I plan on getting a spare engine and building the bottom end. That way if/when this one goes, I can simply put another in. Maybe I'll have to back my wanted power levels down. I'm afraid I would choke a set of real big injectors up with my short, frequent commutes.

Markus L

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy (14D) 1.9TDI 2-stage 400+bhp, Passat 3BG 4motion AVF
With enough fuel it's not a problem to get 200whp with 1756VK. I had 235 bhp with 11mm pump and Ultime 2 nozzles. Still I would recommend bigger turbo because there was enough fuel for 300 bhp.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
So to update this a tad.

I ended up popping the factory turbo the day after this post was made. With 274k, the 15 didn't like the Malone 3 and pp764's.

I reached out to a ton of tdi vendors on here and picked up a 17/52(22) hybrid from Xman, some guages and arp headstuds and a bigger oil cooler from Idparts, I got some piping and turbo lines from Kerma, a fmic and a Malone stage 5+ custom tune.

Hoping to have it all installed tomorrow and up and running. Hopefully I'll be running around the 180+hp mark and who knows what for torque.

My next step is to try and find a lower mileage trans for an lsd install. I'm probably going to go shopping for a cleaned up head and a cam in the middle of summer and possibly freshen up the bottom end next winter. The current head only has about 20k on it but the bottom end is 274k+.

Think I should go with headwork or freshen the bottom end? I plan on staying around the 200hp mark and hopefully I won't have the need for more:D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
180 at the wheels is easy with a 17/22. I ran that with Rocketchip Stage 6 for years. Good daily driver, too.

D-cappz

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ALH, 6 speed, 4motion, fully loaded, leather heated interior, sunroof, steering wheel controls. Over 420,000km
Ever dyno your car smalls?