Need Photo(s) of OEM Axles

LorenS

TDI
2005 Passat
Hello,
I am in need of a photo or two indicating how to tell a Chaxle from a factory axle. There's a junkyard near me with a 1.8L Passat, automatic trans, and I want to make sure the axles are indeed OEM! I've searched the forum for axle photos and found nothing that gives confidence in telling good from bad.

JordanTr

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V x3, 2006 Dmax, 2005 Allroad, 2005 BHW
Depending on the rust level, you should be able to read a 9 digit part number next to the cv boot band on the outer joint. Sometimes the Audi #s are visible on the boots too. SS Oetiker clamps are OEM, zinc plated/cruder bands would be aftermarket.

LorenS

TDI
2005 Passat
Gotta love Ebay listing with stock photos. Seller explicitly stated these axles are "OEM". Pretty sure they are NOT, but I'd appreciate some confirmation either way if I can figure out how to post pictures.

Good grief posting pics via a mobile device is NOT intuitive. When I fire up my computer I'll try to figure it out again.

Last edited:

LorenS

TDI
2005 Passat
I finally installed my Raxles today and am thus far very pleased! The old Chaxles are clanky junk and after I tear then down to look inside will be thrilled to chuck them in the scrap bin.

The terrible vibration is gone in Drive, but still very noticeable (but reduced) in Reverse. I have new transmission and engine mounts (Corteco and Lemforder I believe) so will likely just live with it.

After buying used OEM axles, shipping to FL, paying for the rebuild and shipping, it was about $700! Install was a breeze, so that is appreciated.

Hopefully I'm done spending much money on the car for at least the next 7,000 miles. I'm thrilled at 10 cents per mile, above oil changes and fuel.