Need oil urgently!

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Where can I find suitable oil today near Andover MA?
Oil light flashed this morning as I pulled into the parking lot at work :eek:. I know the WallyMart at exit 38 off 495 doesn't have anything. The car place I normally go to is ~30 minutes away and not something I can reach during lunch.

Thanks

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
What car and why do you thing Wally does not have any?

In an emergency to top it off I would use about any 5-30 or 0w30 synthetic (ideally full synthetic) with a C? rating (? = alpha character)

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
David, Autozone is supposed to have the Delvac 1 oil (equivalent) back in stock now. Also, you'd be able to find M1 0W40 at AZ or WallySmart.

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Hey Joe,
I checked Wally last week or the week before as I was there getting something or other and noted the absents of the Delvac equivalent of Mobil 1.
Heading out shortly with a cow-orker to hit a NAPA, Autozone & dealer - need to get something in there to get home tonight.

Tom,
Thanks for hte AZ reminder. With my job change just before Christmas I've yet to scout out what is locally nearby - other then the Home Depot on my way home.
David

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
David, you want to drop by my house? I have a couple qwarts in the garage.

Seriously.

you have PM.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Phoenix42 said:
Hey Joe,
I checked Wally last week or the week before as I was there getting something or other and noted the absents of the Delvac equivalent of Mobil 1.
Heading out shortly with a cow-orker to hit a NAPA, Autozone & dealer - need to get something in there to get home tonight.

David
I just got a jug Friday.

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Different Wally's stock different items. Home Depot is the same. At least you can get a Big Mac at any McDonalds!

Source of the leak has been confirmed as the mainshaft seal :(

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Didnt you just do a clutch? Did you do the seal as well? Or is this another shaft of which you speak?

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
Yup thisis the recently done clutch, with a new seal. I can only persume I fubar'd the installation of the seal in some way.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Phoenix42 said:
Yup thisis the recently done clutch, with a new seal. I can only persume I fubar'd the installation of the seal in some way.
OMFG! :eek:

David,

Have you had a chance to get under the car yet and have a look? I would expect the bell housing and oil pan in this area to be wet with oil if it were the seal. Any clutch slip from oil contamination?

EDIT: I re-read your post above where you've already confirmed it's the seal. My bad. Is it just making a mess (i.e., slow leak but need to watch oil level) or is it POURING out from where the seal is?

Sorry to hear, good luck.

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Double check the vacuum pump seal. It can leak just as heavy and tracks to the same spot.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Just picked up TurboDieselTruck from the Zone...

"Some" Walmarts carry the Rotella T Synthetic, the Methuen hasn't had it the last few times I've been there, it's hit or miss...

I can hook you up with some of the TDT I just picked up if you need it, pretty darned close to Andover.

Bummer about the rear main... Change it out before it takes the clutch disk with it if it hasn't already.