Need new LRR tires, Energy MXV4 not available

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
Without calling Tire Rack or the Michelin themselves, what should I look for as a direct replacement? I've run Michelin Energys since the car was new, and the mileage is great. They are terrible in the winter, but I swap to dedicated snows anyway so I don't care.

I'm strictly looking for a mileage tire for warm weather use.

Thanks.

JeffDes4

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I have heard the Hankook Optimo H727 is a good tire with a good warranty and affordable. I would go Michelin though, however I would go to the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric next. The Goodyear is not great in the snow, but you don't mind that.

Lane_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL 2003 Blue
Look at Continental Pure Contacts. I used to run Michelin Energy but recently bought the Conti's. So far they are working great.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
Without calling Tire Rack or the Michelin themselves, what should I look for as a direct replacement? I've run Michelin Energys since the car was new, and the mileage is great. They are terrible in the winter, but I swap to dedicated snows anyway so I don't care.

I'm strictly looking for a mileage tire for warm weather use.

Thanks.
If FE is your only metric: Consider a set of Bridgestone Ecopias.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Make=Volkswagen&autoYear=2004&autoModel=Jetta GLS Tdi Wagon&autoModClar=

Also from Tire Rack...they tested four popular LRR tires:

Fuel Consumption Results

Our Real World Road Ride features a relatively flat 6.6-mile loop of 65 mph expressway, 55 mph state highway and 40 mph county roads along with two stop signs and one traffic light every lap. Our team drove approximately 500 miles over the course of several days. Since we wanted to compare fuel consumption results that typical drivers would experience, our drivers were instructed to maintain the flow of traffic by running at the posted speed limits and sustain the vehicle's speed using cruise control whenever possible. They did not use hypermiling techniques to influence vehicle fuel economy.

Tire Line Test MPG* Gallons/Year @ 15,000 Miles % vs. Most Efficient
Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 27.9 537.6 ---
Continental ProContact with EcoPlus Technology 27.3 549.5 -2.20%
Goodyear Assurance featuring Fuel Max Technology 27.6 543.5 -1.09%
Yokohama AVID TRZ 27.3 549.5 -2.20%

* Our evaluation used Linear Logic ScanGauge II automotive computers to record fuel consumption and Race Technology DL1 data loggers to record true distance travelled.

Last edited:

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
The Primacy MXV4 is not a LRR...I went through a set, they have great grip and handle well. I now have Michelin Energy Saver A/S's. These netted me 3mpg increase over the MXV4s. Search around here for these tires, you'll see similar reports (in a prius thread irrc). A professional tire comparison rated them the most efficient of the LRR tires as well. Despite what others may say, the handling, cornering and wet traction is fine if you're not driving like an idiot on the street.

Lane_S

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL 2003 Blue
Lane what was your mileage before and after switching new tires?

With the Michelins I usually averaged 52mpg but had good runs up to 57mpg. The new Contis so far have showed me 54 mpg but its early yet. I like the tread pattern a little better as far as road grip but again I have to see them perform in snow yet. Pricewise they beat Michelins.

JeffDes4

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
The Bridgestone Ecopias do look like a great tire, I third them for sure after reading the information on them. They certainly seem like a worthy replacement.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
The reason why I like the Energys is because I've had very consistent good mileage, but it all depends on my right foot. I have gotten 64+ mpg if I think about my right foot. Not all highway either, two of the tanks where I had 64 was stop and go to and from work - 37 miles each way.

livewires250

TDI
2010mkv jetta sedan
I replaced the Han cook with conti pure contact Eco plus tech and they are doing great. Good in snow, and delivering excellent mpg.

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
I've never had hydroplaning issues or wet traction issues with the Michelin Energy's. Only when the tread depth was close to the wear bars did I notice any issues going thru standing water on the highway at 60+mph speeds.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Thanks for the feedback. The general ranking of the Michelin Energy's on Tirerack site leaves you a little bit uncertain as compared to other well ranked LRR tires.

I've never had hydroplaning issues or wet traction issues with the Michelin Energy's. Only when the tread depth was close to the wear bars did I notice any issues going thru standing water on the highway at 60+mph speeds.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If I were after a sporty/grippy all season tire with the best ultimate grip I'd go for the michelin pilot sport a/s 3.

The best balanced tire I've found in my research so far is the continental PureContact DWS. It seems to get the best MPG and it also handles quite well and doesn't feel too mushy from reviews I've read. only downside to this tire is that it's a little nosier then other tires in the touring class of tires.

path23dv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
I just had a set of Michelin Premier AS installed, the MXM4s are longer available. I only have a few hundred miles on them, very quiet and grip well in the rain. My original Contis had 77,000 miles, but had become VERY noisy, might have had an internal failure.

hybridkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG
Another vote for the Conti PureContact EcoPlus - looks like about a 2 mpg bump over the factory-fitted ProContact, and decent grip - maybe not the quietest tire, if that's a concern.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
If I were after a sporty/grippy all season tire with the best ultimate grip I'd go for the michelin pilot sport a/s 3.

The best balanced tire I've found in my research so far is the continental PureContact DWS. It seems to get the best MPG and it also handles quite well and doesn't feel too mushy from reviews I've read. only downside to this tire is that it's a little nosier then other tires in the touring class of tires.
Another vote for the Conti PureContact EcoPlus - looks like about a 2 mpg bump over the factory-fitted ProContact, and decent grip - maybe not the quietest tire, if that's a concern.
A bit of a update on this.
personally ended up getting the V rated PureContacts. I went V rated because they are typically a sportier ride and handle better at highway speeds. Since I do a ton of highway driving at ~70MPH that;s what I went with.

They are quieter then the warn down (3/32) purecontacts.
I haven't had a entire tank to compare with yet so I can't comment on mileage yet.
Handling is FANTASTIC for a touring tire that has LRR. very crisp turn in compared to the stockers that felt like I had marshmallows under each corner of the car.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have been researching tires lately, though I might make it through this season until it's time to put the winter tires on again.

The Conti PureContact with EcoPlus is on my short list, along with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. I am intrigued by the features of the new Michelin Premier A/S, but I don't think I need to invest that much in a tire I'll only run May through mid-November.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I have been researching tires lately, though I might make it through this season until it's time to put the winter tires on again.
The Conti PureContact with EcoPlus is on my short list, along with the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. I am intrigued by the features of the new Michelin Premier A/S, but I don't think I need to invest that much in a tire I'll only run May through mid-November.
Just to help you along...
The record setting passat used the pure contacts:
http://wot.motortrend.com/volkswagen-passat-tdi-breaks-record-gets-77-99-mpg-touring-u-s-381259.html

This certainly helps me in knowing I made a good choice in tires and considering how much better the car handles and rides over the OE tires is icing on the cake :cool: