Need new 2006 jetta tdi drivers door latch

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
Got a big problem now with our 06 Jetta. The drivers door does not latch closed. I have found videos showing how to do the replacement. I need a new latch urgently. Is this a part that I can only get from a junkyard or from a VW dealership? What might it cost?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your local dealer probably has one on the shelf. If you can, I'd also get the updated harness (these drop in and out of availability lately, though).

A used latch for a Volkswagen would be akin to used toilet paper, as far as I am concerned. They fail so often.

jimigunne

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM
Yea, the only vw dealership in town wants 296.00 plus tax! They matched it from vin #. This is why they are called stealerships.
I can get a Dorman assy through Amazon for 140.00. The compatibility check in Amazon says its
compatible....but I wonder. But I did enter my vin#. I read a comment from one buyer ( but only one) that it did not work because the car detected that the part was not "oem genuine". The Amazon part would save 160.00, but itsa bit sketchy that its going to work. And what if the venfor refuses retufn because its an electrical part?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, the correct working part will cost more. You can certainly try the Chinesium one... not exactly a quick easy thing to do, but you can place whatever value on your time you like.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Yea, the only vw dealership in town wants 296.00 plus tax! They matched it from vin #. This is why they are called stealerships.
I can get a Dorman assy through Amazon for 140.00. The compatibility check in Amazon says its
compatible....but I wonder. But I did enter my vin#. I read a comment from one buyer ( but only one) that it did not work because the car detected that the part was not "oem genuine". The Amazon part would save 160.00, but itsa bit sketchy that its going to work. And what if the venfor refuses retufn because its an electrical part?
Get the oem one. Buy once cry once. Honestly that's not a really bad price. You can also check FCP euro, they're often a little cheaper.