Need more power

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
So I have a mk7 golf with a Malone stage 2 tune, turbo back exhaust with deletes and an injen cai. I was wondering what would be smart for me to do next. Eventually I want to upgrade to a gtb2260.

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
Well I'm happy I'm making good decisions. I'm sure I'll need a new clutch for when I get this turbo. Also I eventually wan to get 300hp what clutch would you guys suggest?

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I'm running a DC 02Q Stage 3 with my 2260. Excellent setup :)

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
I was wondering what you guys think......so I'm going to also be getting a water/meth kit would I need to build up the internals to handle that much hp. I'm already planing on a hpfp. And if so what should I do?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I'm planning a similar upgrade so will throw in my plan of attack just to compare. Not trying to steal the thread, just looks like we have very similar goals!

Upgrading to CP3 (have a leaking water pump, so makes sense to knock that out while the belt is loosened)

Clutch upgrade to something rated above 440 ft/lbs to have plenty of buffer. The DC 02Q Stage 3 that BleachedBora listed I'm guessing is the same strength as the DC 02M Stage 3 (528 ft/lbs at crank) listed on the Cascade German site as I couldn't find a stage 3 for the 02Q. If so, that's plenty of torque rating. I also had planned to run a heavier flywheel along with a Fluidampr and LSD. I'd love to hear from BleachedBora if he's running the 17lb SMF with a Fluidampr, or went with a heavier flywheel? From my searching, something along the lines of a 30lb SMF helps in saving synchros?

My plan is to do those before the turbo as I want to make sure everything is running great prior to that install. A water/meth system is tempting with a DEF tank and lines already in place to use, but that would be after everything else is dialed in and see what EGTs and intake temps look like.

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
No neee to apologize. I plan on doing a south bend stage 3 endurance. That's rated for if I remember correctly 585 ft/lbs. so that'll definitely leave some buffer room. What does the Fluidampr do exactly? Can't say I've seen anything about that before.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Switching to a SMF alone wears out the 02Q's synchros. The sprung clutch disc helps that and keeps noise down, the fluidampr adds to that as well. My goal is to have as quiet and safe a SMF setup as possible. So my searching led me to a heavy SMF with sprung clutch disc, Fluidampr, and redline shockproof gear oil.
The sachs SRE looks to have the heavy SMF, but not a very robust torque rating for the organic disc. The sintered disc holds much more, but I want a good daily driver feel. Leaning towards the DC clutch suggested above, but want to know more about that particular setup.

Last edited:

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
I've been thinking of doing a compound turbo setup. What would I have to do to my internals to handle that? I'd probably have the stock turbo feed a 30 trim turbo

PDR

TDI
2012 golf tdi 6spd
power upgrades

I have driven several tdi's with the aforementioned bigger turbos- the cr190 has some turbo lag- and the big (GTB 2260)one has serious turbo lag. drivers are constantly either impatiant waiting for that thing to finally spool and thus rev higher before the clutch is fully engaged (thus bringing the clutch to early end- quite common among my friends with big turbo builds- they go through clutches like m&Ms ) or to combat that they just stay out of it alot. It looks impressive on a Dyno but...not fun to live with. I obviously choose the 170 because I love that early spool time for racing-

The above is just an opinion, but my car is quicker than guys with the big builds and while they will catch me eventually- its usually at a speed that can get you locked up at.

When I was making my decision for more power after having stage 2 for a long time- i did a survey of where the turbo spooled up on the Tach- if you want that info i can get it to ya.

PDR

TDI
2012 golf tdi 6spd
The power bands change with the turbo and tune upgrades so the there is three different places on the tach that are in my comparison
1- when the boost first starts
2- where it hits near full boost
3- the time (or rpms) that exists between 1 and 2
rule of thumb bigger the turbo the shorter the time is between 1 and 2 and longer before you get to 1. also gear ratios obviously change this so I concentrated on 2 nd 3 rd gear
GTB- 1- 25-2700 2- 28-3000 -
CR190 1- 22-25 2- 26-2800
CR170 1-20-2200 2 25-2800
the big turbo does pack a wallop and you feel the butt dyno a lot more - it hits you more suddenly and when it does its a quick wind up. Torque is unreal - comparable to a mustang gt or better. - and can make the front tires struggle for grip depending on what you are running.
It comes down to what you want to accomplish. Are you looking for a monster that can waste gtis WRXs and the occasional Evo- or are you looking to make a thorough bred that can embarrass a Mini- or just pure driving fun? - I am wondering what your goals are?

Last edited:

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
My goal is 300hp and 500 ft/lbs. as far as what I want to beat. Anything I can lol I already can actually take a hawk eye wrx of the line �� I have a few times actually which was pleasantly surprising.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
For 300hp and 600+Nm there is some work to be done, not just a simple turbo swap ;)
Be prepared to spend some money as it's not going to be cheap if you want it to be done well
2260VK turbo vacuum converted, well adjusted
mainfold
full exhaust 76mm
FMIC
4bar map sensor
a better fuel pump CP4.2 or CP3
head porting will help a lot
a damn good tuner, havent seen any 270+ dyno from US so far, strange

Last edited:

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
As of now I have a 3" turbo back. Exhaust. I'm gonna get a nuespeed FMIC. A cp3 and I gonna jump to a malone stage 4 tune. I'm looking to get a tubular manifold from dark side. Also getting a stage 3 water meth kit

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
As of now I have a 3" turbo back. Exhaust. I'm gonna get a nuespeed FMIC. A cp3 and I gonna jump to a malone stage 4 tune. I'm looking to get a tubular manifold from dark side. Also getting a stage 3 water meth kit
Fitting a FMIC in addition to the air/water intercooler?? I don't believe that's necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
The 80-100 euro FMIC (300 x 700 x70mm) from ebay is more than enough for what you need, spending 3-4-500$ extra is useless.
Remove original IC and just put FMIC, much better than the one you have keeping air temp. down and makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Fitting a FMIC in addition to the air/water intercooler?? I don't believe that's necessary.

Water/meth kit isn't an air/water intercooler. ;)

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Water/meth kit isn't an air/water intercooler. ;)
The EA288 has a water/air intercooler like the CKRA Passats. Running an FMIC means adding a bunch of piping to the current setup, or ditching the air/water and fabricating an entirely new intake manifold which is a ton of work for what gain? We need to see pre/post intercooler intake temps before thinking a supplemental intercooler or entire replacement is worth the trouble. I was under the impression our water/air units were pretty darn good, and I'd be happy to run some logs to see exact figures.

pmoulton5018

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S 6MT
Hmmmm did not know this. That would be interesting to see the figures. I just figured an FMIC is better than stock. It's side mount right? And if so would you think it'll be benifical to get an upgraded side mount?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmmmm did not know this. That would be interesting to see the figures. I just figured an FMIC is better than stock. It's side mount right? And if so would you think it'll be benifical to get an upgraded side mount?
Our water/air intercooler on the EA288 is integrated into the intake manifold. It gets air also blown onto it through the top most opening in the front grill where the air intake also gets its fresh air. We do not have a SMIC or FMIC, which equals a very short charge air tube. There is also a warm air snorkel that goes from the bottom of the stock airbox to right above the turbo to aid in warm-up which disconnecting could help reduce temps as well. I may do some logs of temps with and without that warm air snorkel and see what happens.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
The EA288 has a water/air intercooler like the CKRA Passats. Running an FMIC means adding a bunch of piping to the current setup, or ditching the air/water and fabricating an entirely new intake manifold which is a ton of work for what gain? We need to see pre/post intercooler intake temps before thinking a supplemental intercooler or entire replacement is worth the trouble. I was under the impression our water/air units were pretty darn good, and I'd be happy to run some logs to see exact figures.
Very interesting, thanks for the schooling. :cool: