Need Knowledgible Advice

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Since I'm mechanically illiterate, I welcome comments on a CUTE:eek: car I'm looking at: 1988 MB 190D with the naturally asperated 2.5 diesel. Any horrible issues with these cars, other than typical German torture issues?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well it's a benz so it will be expensive. The rear suspension is probably dead, and there are a lot of rubber bits back there. That 2.5 will be a reliable, if abit slow, powerplant. If the air doesn't work it could be spendy to fix properly. (I forget, do you ever use the AC Jack? Would that dip into your MPG pot too much? ;) ) Check that the sunroof works, it probably needs $200 worth of parts replaced as well.

Is it a stick or an auto?

-J

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Corey has one of these that I located locally last year. It's a nice car: the NA engine isn't awful, but my 300D 2.5 is noticeably quicker despite being a larger car. You can probably count on the odometer being inaccurate as they often quit. Jason's right about the rear suspension, but the control arms are available and not that expensive. Shocks, brakes, etc. are pretty reasonable. I've been positively surprised at how inexpensive parts are for my 300D.

It is a nice car. If it's a stick (very rare) grab it. If not, it's still nice. Or hold out for one of the also rare 2.5 turbo 190s. If it's a stick and you don't want it let me know.

EDIT: Big thing to look for is rust. Spring perches, jack points, fenders, spare tire well.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Hmm the MB fleet is starting to grow, soon 2 VWs & 2 MBs.

Jack you can't take it with you...... but Julie might....

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
How Did You Know!

Well it's a benz so it will be expensive. The rear suspension is probably dead, and there are a lot of rubber bits back there. That 2.5 will be a reliable, if abit slow, powerplant. If the air doesn't work it could be spendy to fix properly. (I forget, do you ever use the AC Jack? Would that dip into your MPG pot too much? ;) ) Check that the sunroof works, it probably needs $200 worth of parts replaced as well.

Is it a stick or an auto?

-J
Today, it is 102 degrees in Baltimore and Philadelphia! When I drive the 05 Passat home...how did you know, that to save precious fuel...I will NOT be using my air conditioner!:eek:

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I just received an e-mail from home: 104.9 F in the shade. 90+ in the house.
My infrared says it's 78F at my desk, 72 coming out of the duct 20 feet up. I may stay late at work.....

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Environmental ****

I have a programmible thermostat, which basically shuts down while I'm here in Maryland. Even when I go home tonight, I'll only have the A/C in the house set at 84 degrees to be an energy-meister!:eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
And I thought I was being frugal setting it at 78 when I left the house. 72 here at the warehouse.

Not running A/C in your car in this weather is just punishment. Or a weight-loss technique. Hydrate!

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Thought I'd share this

Yup, a hot one today indeed. After I snapped this pic, it went to 107 for a couple minutes, but I wasn't in a spot I could pull over and snap one off.
Hmmmm, wonder how that tranny fluid is doing.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
69.7F in my office all day today. 73F at home. :)

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Ok Jack you might feel at home with the Hamsters parents in Parkville NO A/C at all. Nice folks but frugal really frugal.