Need help with no start on my 2000 alh

Fatone

TDI
99 beetle
I have a 2000 beetle tdi with the alh. Manual. So the problem started like a month ago, leaving work, I thought I heard something pop under the hood, and started rolling so much smoke it looked like I was on fire. 15 seconds later it stopped. Cut to last Saturday, it was surging when I was in the rpm range of 1300-1800. Was thinking it might be a map sensor. Went out that night anyway, when I went to go home it wouldn't start. Towed it home next morning and started doing some digging. Got fuel, no air leaks, nothing obvious looking under hood. Checked all plugs and wires that have anything to do with IP. So I plugged in the code reader. Nothing. Couldn't get it to read. Led me to believe it was the ecu. Replaced ecu from another 2000 alh manual. Still won't start and now it's throwing both upper and lower quantity adjuster limit codes, and one other I can't think of off the top of my head. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Also looking fir someone who can reprogram my upgrades into ecu.

-Branden

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Does the engine crank normally? The timing belt is intact? If so, I'd suspect something with the pump.