Need Help - Smoking Brake

mmalluck

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
So I tackled replacing my own rear brakes, or so I thought. I got into work today and my rear driverside wheel was smoking!

This wheel has a history of issues:

First 1000 miles I noticed the rotor was gouged and also noticed a signifigant difference in temps between the two wheels after some driving. The dealer replaced the rotor, pads, and caliper. The parking brake cable were also adjusted.

Dealer failed to tightened the brakelines correctly and at 20,000 miles I had to take it in because it was leaking brake fluid. Found out on a Saturday afternoon so I added my own non-VW DOT 4+ brake fluid to get me thru the weekend until the dealer opened. All they did was tighten the line and call it good.

At 30,000 miles the brakes began to squeel. With Bently and VW parts in hand, I decide to tackle this one myself. The pad on the rear driverside wheel was down to about 5%. The oppisite wheel had maybe 50% pad life still on it. I also checked the parking brake settings. The rear driverside was a little more advance than the other side, but both wheels turned with the same amount of force or there about. I attributed the pad wear to the slight difference in the parking brake setting. I was going to look into fixing this over the July 4th holiday.

This morning I get into work (10 mile freeway jaunt) and am greeted with the arid smell of burning brakes. That damn rear driverside wheel is smoking! Looks like more than a slight parking brake misadjustment now. Maybe a sticking cable?

Anyone have any suggestions before I take it back to the dealer with my tail between my legs?

Last edited:

mmalluck

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Well I took her back to the dealer and they adjusted the parking brake cable again. I didn't mention I did the brake job myself and they didn't notice either. They just adjusted the cable and sent me on my merry way.

So far so good, I guess. I hope it stays "fixed".