Need help!! Possible diesel contamination

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Wow I'm in the same boat right now at Ancira VW in San Antonio. I have a 2012 with 11,000 miles and it just went out yesterday. So I'm in the beginning stages of the whole process. Sorry about your troubles man.
Some what good news. The VWOA called and said that the HPFP and fuel lines WILL be covered under the Power train Warranty. The only thing will not is the fuel pump in the gas tank. Is that correct? I thought that anything considered to be a cause or in cause to the HPFP failure would be covered?
Copied both of you to try to get answers. With two failures within a week in the San Antonio area, it would be great if you two could discuss where and how you fuel. At what point in the tank do you refuel? Are you using the same stations, or same diesel supplier? Has there been a recent shift in weather? Did the Mars rover put something in each of your tanks?:p

As long as I'm grasping at straws...

Moralesj

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I fuel up at the same station as much as possible. I try not to let my tank get passed the half mark just becsaue I like have a full tank and in the case of me needing it for an emergancy I don't want to waste anytime filling up. I go to a shell station that is about a block from me adn is on the access road of Interstate 10 Highway. its a heavy traffic stop and is always busy. I usualy try to wait until the early morning when I go so its not so busy and its cooler outside. If there is a truck filling the holding tanks I will wait another day or go somewhere else. You NEVER want to fill while a truck is putting fuel into the holding tank, it stures up all the sand/dirt/sediment at the bottom and will end up in your tank. As far as my case, the dealer first stated that it was sand that clogged the tank pump but they wen't back on their word and said there was not real answer to why it failed, but it wan't a clogging issue. So I am happy to find out the station I am using wasn't the culprit. So be consistent and make sure its a high traffic station and ALWAYS keep your receipts. get a check book holder and store them in there and get a folder fo when it is too full.

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
So to recap, when refueling:
1: Use major stations (Shell is reputable)
2: use stations with high turnover
3: run from supply truck
4: fuel at proper temperature for optimal h2o avoidance
5: and early in the morning for settled fuel

HPFP explosion anyway. Godammit.

Moralesj

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
So to recap, when refueling:
1: Use major stations (Shell is reputable)
2: use stations with high turnover
3: run from supply truck
4: fuel at proper temperature for optimal h2o avoidance
5: and early in the morning for settled fuel

HPFP explosion anyway. Godammit.
RIGHT!?!?! When I first heard about this HPFP problem I was like. THIS will never happen to me! I am too careful. I was wrong. I honestly think its the way diesel is refined in the states. because there are a lot of cases where its not gas or contamination that caused it to fail. It's just a POS fuel system...

But that doesn't mean you should not care about the steps you just listed, It will keep you safe from being screwed in the long run.

spanish11

TDI
2012 Golf
I didnt know about the HPFP problem until mine blew. So I wasnt as careful as Moralesj. I fill up at maybe three stations regularlly.iwait to fill up when my fuel light comes on. I never keep my receipts but I do use a card. Now that I know about the HPFP problem I will probably start being more proactive with my fueling habits.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
spanish- which station did you use on the tank where you started having problems?

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
you would think that you texas guys would be the safest for getting the best quality fuel since you live in the oil capitol of the usa!!! ..... but it seems that is not the case.
also power service is located in texas, maybe talk to them about station sampling to see how shell compares to others in your area. PS keeps data nationwide on fuel quality and they are great guys to talk to.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I am not sure but think I read on one of the many threads about this that it seems a number of failures come after fueling at a Shell station. Again I am not saying Shell sucks but I think Shell comes up a good amount of the time. To be fair it may be the ratio of Shell stations in the US selling us our fuel and it works out.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
There were Shell stations in the Miami area that had contaminated diesel and some hpfp failures as the result

HozzMidnight

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
The Shell station I use is that the intersection of Blanco Rd and Churchhill Estates.
Goddamn!...Me too. Just had a HPFP failure Saturday the 15th and that same Timewise/Shell station is where I had gotten my last tank, and the majority of my fuel. Where did you end up taking your car for service? For me it was Alamo Heights VW.

edit: Just read the thread again and I saw where you went to Ancira.

Last edited: