Need help asap. Stuck out of town

Anderson3377

TDI
2000 Jetta
I have a 99.5 new jetta alh. Drove to Oklahoma city and just as I got into town it dies. I can get it re started, but it seems to have a miss. The motor shakes pretty bad and there is a ton of smoke at idle and driving. Limped it to where I have to be. Bleed fuel lines. Checked all plugs for unplugged. Please help.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Check your oil level.
Check your coolant recovery "globe" to see if it is darkly disclored with oil floating on the surface. This is a sign of a blown head gasket

dieseltim

TDI
06 Jetta, 00 Jetta
smoke

Is the smoke white or black? If it is white then you are getting water into the cyls. either from water in the fuel (maybe a bad tank of fuel/ water) or you have blown a head gasket. If the smoke it black then you have a fueling/ over fueling problem or a lot of oil getting into the cyls.

What do you have with you for tools?

Can you check to see if it is still in time?

Do you know how long since the last timing belt change?

Dieseltim
Atlanta, Ga.

Anderson3377

TDI
2000 Jetta
There isn't a whole lot of oil, but enough to know it's a blown head gasket. Got plenty of tools, but not for that job. Thanks for everyone help. I will post picture of the job, and some other mod I have.

tdibarron

TDI
96 Passat TDI
Im stuck in ok city

How can I get ahold of Ray_G? I have car issues and can't continue on our journey do to a loud whine coming from under the hood.

Dang near everything is new. My mechanic back in Minnesota.

HELP!

Sean
96 passat tdi. New everything (almost)

Street Toys

Veteran Member
TDI
sold
update!

We at Street Toys would really like to extend a big "THANK YOU" to Ray_G for going out of his way yesterday to help a fellow club member in need (tdibarron). We understand that he found the issue quickly and helped him along his way, where as if he had to have relied on an interstate shop or dealership he could have really been taken for a ride.
This act of kindness and professionalism really helps restore my perceptions on humanity!;) Thanks again Ray_G:):cool:

Nick/Street Toys

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Street Toys said:
We at Street Toys would really like to extend a big "THANK YOU" to Ray_G for going out of his way yesterday to help a fellow club member in need (tdibarron). We understand that he found the issue quickly and helped him along his way, where as if he had to have relied on an interstate shop or dealership he could have really been taken for a ride.
This act of kindness and professionalism really helps restore my perceptions on humanity!;) Thanks again Ray_G:):cool:

Nick/Street Toys
Nick, nice to acknowledge Ray. What was the problem?

Street Toys

Veteran Member
TDI
sold
paramedick said:
Nick, nice to acknowledge Ray. What was the problem?
Tdibarron ordered a new turbo and Downpipe from us about a month ago and was in the process of doing a total engine rebuild. While on his trip from Minnesota to Lubock TX he began to hear a horrifying whine coming from his engine bay. That would raise anyones concern naturally, so he called me to ask what it could be. Not wanting him to drive any further to cause undue damage, we tried to trouble-shoot the problem over the phone. Not the easiest thing to do in many cases.
We both began to look for a local trusted mechanic in the OKC area and with the help of other members of the club, we where able to get into contact with Ray. From my understanding, Ray, with the help of another local mechanic, invited Sean, (tdibarron) a complete stranger, to their homes and found that the issue was just the power steering pump beginning to fail.;) Another shop could have easily disassembled everything to charge him hundreds if not thousands of dollars. The chain of assistance stretched from Utah to Texas up to Canada to help a fellow TDI'er from Minnesota that was stranded in Oklahoma!
I just find it so cool that the membership actually worked so hard to help a brand new member out in a time of need!:cool:
Thanks again to everyone that participated! You guys rule!!:D

Nick/Street Toys

Anderson3377

TDI
2000 Jetta
Glad to hear about it. Im glad that you guys helped me out too. After i found out, i still felt like i got kicked in the stomach, but at least i was not stranded with no clue. Good to know there are good guys out there.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
The car made a funny whistling noise, which Sean said was an exhaust leak. I put the vag-com on it and went for a drive. I have to say that is the best boost producing turbo I have ever seen on a B4 Nick, but anyway Sean was concerned about a growling noise, thought it was the turbo and he did not want to drive it anymore until he knew what was wrong. (I think he had a bad experience with the last engine that blew up on him) Anyway I can tell you it was his power steering pump growling. The turbo boosted like crazy and the N75 held the max boost to where it should be. Everything else on the engine checked out. So, I sent him on his way.
Ray