Need Help! 06 MKV Jetta Lower Door Hinge

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
I've had this Jetta for about 2 years. Been using white grease on the door hinges about every 6 months or as needed. My driver's side door was making the popping sound for a few days. Opened the door a few days ago and a metal shim or bushing of sorts fell out. About the same size as a AA battery. (See pics)
I can't tell where exactly on the lower mechanism this part came from but I believe it acts as a sleeve on the U-shaped torsion bar/spring. I just can't see exactly. All the bolts seem tight and nothing moves except there is a slight amount of play in the torsion spring assembly. Of course now the popping sounds are worse than ever as the door opens/closes etc......
I have looked through all the threads and tried searches here and on wwwVortex for a DYI on replacing that crazy hinge. Looks like I need to take off the front left fender in order to access the lower hinge bolt that attaches to the chassis.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Any ideas or suggestions? A good source for the part?
This is the kind of goofy maintenance issues that make me not want to buy a VW again! I know the car is 6 years old now- but who wears out door hinges?
I can live with the popping sound...for a while...I do see myself spending a day in the garage taking off the front fender and hopefully making the fix without breaking something else. Or, take it to a dealer and spend $$$ to have them do it. Arrgghh- this vehicle is getting annoying! :(

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Wow, almost 100 views and no comments. No one has had this happen before? I remember finding this site before my TDI purchase and reading a few of the "caveats" about VW's in general. I figured if it has moving parts then there is a chance something will fail. I'm ok with general maintenance issues and the special or unique service that diesels require, etc. This hinge breaking is just annoying!

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
OK, bumping this thread again. Spent a lot of time looking for a replacement lower hinge....

I saw one post over on vortex with a MKV Jetta with the exact same problem- the lower hinge "bushing or shim" fell out and now the door hinge just POPS when opened.

Anyone help a VW "brotha" ?? I'm just about ready to sell this thing and buy a Ford!

charliesans

TDI
2006 jetta
same problem

i have the same exact problem and also found the AA battery sized, damaged sleeve laying on the sill. I can't figure out where it came from or why it's absence makes the click-stops on the door so much noiser. otherwise, the door/hinge are working fine. wish there was a shortcut to eliminating the extra noise.

06jet-tiddies

TDI
2014 Jetta Highline TDI, Cold air intake from K&N, more to come
It goes in from underneath it slides up from behind the u shaped torsion bar and I believe is held in with the force the bar keeps on it and over the years depending on how much ur door is opened it just gets loosened up. The absence of it allows the u shape torsion bar to hop away from the metal and pop back like if u were to snap an elastic on a table I have this problem rite now aswell i am going to get a new sleeve from vw and install it I will see if I can post any pics or any more info after

Kero_too

TDI
2006 5 speed AMSOIL from new
Good luck buying a new sleeve part. I would be amazed if the dealer has anything but a new $85.00 hinge assembly. I also found the shim like piece and may try to slip it back in behind the torsion spring from the bottom for a short term fix. It is really getting on my nerves with the noise. Very embarrassing.

juniormarbles

I have the same problem: disintegrated bushing sleeve.
As I tried but cannot find just the sleeve bearing, I need to replace the lower hinge (Jetta V).

I've seen horror stories that it takes all kinds of dismantling of the door and fender to remove the lower front door hinge. Can anyone confirm how easy or hard it is to remove and replace the hinge without having to remove the door or all kinds of other stuff?

Thanks,
JM

aellen

TDI
jetta 06
Easiest way to learn about the lower door hinge replacement is go to your local LKQ and take one out. Getting to the inside bolt behind the hood release is tricky in getting the release handle off its post, then a plastic clip holds the panel in place. Need a 8mm stubby triple square and 13 mm socket and box wrench. They charged me 8.75 for the hinge, alot better than 135 from stealership....;)