Need Electrical Guru ASAP! South NJ

TDI
2000 Beetle TDi
Well, I have a 2000 NB. It has 70k miles and about a month of ownership, I had noticed the airbag light was intermittently staying on after ignition. When it stayed lit for a week straight, I (regretfully) took it to the dealership (I hate) only to find out that they needed to replace the whole airbag harness. I would think that this was covered, even in a 7 year old vehicle, but the bastards wanted $600.00 plus parts. I drove a 68 Chevelle for 3 years without an airbag, and drum brakes without a problem, so when I found out that the car would do everything but blow the airbag, I passed on the repair. The light still burns every time I drive.

Fast forward 6 months. Monday, I was driving in a thunderstorm on the NJTP and a Tractor Trailer was trying to pass. Being courteous and small in his mirror, I flashed my hi-beams to let him know he was clear. When I flashed, all the lights and beepers in the car seemed to "freak out". Some of the Idiot lights and beepers (like the low fuel chime) were set off, and then extinguished after about 5 seconds. Kinda scary when you are surrounded by Tractor Trailers, traveling 70-75 MPH, visibility is 15 feet and you see the ABS light begin to flash. Nothing has happened until today after work.

I went out to my beetle today and after I got in, I noticed the Trip counter on the odometer had reset. Then I noticed that the windows were no longer doing their "auto-up/down" function. My aftermarket radio was completely reset, as well as the clock/temperature gauge and the car randomly beeps for no apparent reason. I am now officially concerned.

I depend on this car to get me to work everyday. Please help me:
1. Do I need to worry about the engine shutting down while driving?
2. Would the Airbag harness have anything to do with this malfunction?
3. Could anyone recommend Mechanic in the Philadelphia / South Jersey area?

sourmash

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle
You might also want to post in the regional forum for your area or check out "trusted Mechanics by state" under TDI 101. I know there is a guru in NY...I just can't seem to recall his user name at the moment.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
Hey mash remember me? I live in NJ.
Sounds like a ground issue. Which dealer did you bring it to? It may or may not be related to the airbag issue. I am in North jersey not Sj so you may be better off trying someone in your area or you can bring it up to me if you like. I am about 2.5 hours away. This is one case where you drop the car off and leave it. I will call you with an estimate. If you say no it is 45.00 and you come and get the car. Many times I find them easily and quickly and you pay 45.00. I can't say until I see it.

Last edited:

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
For what they did and what they charged it was a bit high for even a dealership. You may want to look for someone in the philly area. I am 2.5 hours north as I said which may be too far for you to go. good luck no matter what.