Need buyback advice

preludemd

TDI
2013 Passat Tdi
So I had an oops during the last snowstorm and hit a large rock with my tdi and my appointment is set for the beginning of march. I definitely did more damage than just bend the rim. It makes a noise even while driving with the spare tire. Technically the car drives under it's own power so I'm not sure if it will get rejected or not. What would be the best way to handle this? Should I call the 800 number and ask? Should I have the car towed to the dealership or should I have it towed down the street and drive it in? My instinct is to fix it but if they are going to dismantle the cars then that's a waste. What would you folks do?

Thank you in advance.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
So long as it is not leaking fluids, I would tow to the dealer's driveway, drive it in, and hope for the best. They really don't drive the car around for the inspection. The engine only has to run if they see you drove it into the dealership.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I'd just drive it in...if it isn't TOO far - don't say anything. Prob going to the shredder anyway. Leave the spare on there. Just as to be driveable and have seats.

Can you look under there and see what's causing the noise?

Last edited:

preludemd

TDI
2013 Passat Tdi
I looked when i had the tire off but it was snowing and crappy so I didn't see much. Something is definitely out of place. you can see the tire is sitting further back in the wheel well. probably a bent axel or bent control arm. Driving it to the dealer probably isn't going to work. if I can get it towed close by then I can just drive it from not far away or if somehow they would allow me to use my vw roadside assistance to have it towed to the dealer and driving it into the parking spot would be enough.

Agree that it's probably going to go to the shredder which is why I really would rather not spend the time/money fixing it.