Need advice

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Long story short, I recently replaced my steering rack, the sub frame was obviously lowered. When I put things back I realigned the sub frame so the new bolts are centered on the sub frame holes / bushings, and made a mistake by tightening things up to specs. When I got to the dog bone mount I noticed that its not quite aligning with the holes on the transmission, got it aligned, bolts went in fine but I think it is slightly under stress. I wasnt worried too much and I didn't want to loosen the torqued subframe bolts to shift it around. The car got wheel alignment after that, but now I think I am getting a little too much vibration at idle than I like. Obvioulsy, the best thing would be to loosen and shift the subfframe to lessen the stress on the dogbone mount and get the car realigned again. But I was wondering if I can loosen the engine/ transmission mounts to body bolts instead to move the engine slightly to relieve the tension on the dogbone and not to mess with the wheels alignment again. What do you guys think?

Dh4276

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf GLS TDI, BEW
If you move the subframe, you will want to at least have the alignment rechecked, may need a little toe adjustment.

The subframe does affect the caster to a small degree! When I did my front suspension, I used the old bolts until I got to the alignment shop where we loosened the subframe back and set the alignment then placed the new bolts and torqued to spec at that point. It did make a difference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
........................... But I was wondering if I can loosen the engine/ transmission mounts to body bolts instead to move the engine slightly to relieve the tension on the dogbone and not to mess with the wheels alignment again. What do you guys think?
I think that's worth a try.