Need advice on how to move forward…

Lemonlady2009

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI - 220k (ish) miles on it

Just took my car into the mechanic to address the infamous P2015 and P2006 code. Installed the Dieselgeek manifold mod and so far so good no more CEL! Having DPF light come on when I start the engine, once I get going on the highway for my commute, it will go off. Aaaaand right back on about a minute and a half later. Driving at highway speeds it is just a game of light on, light off, light on, etc. Have tried driving it in “S” and putting it in cruise control twice for about 20 min on highway to no avail. According to the VW warranty website all of the dieselgate parts were serviced in 2017 at 137k miles.

Said mechanic mentioned above is an unfamiliar mechanic to me and gave me a list of $4,100.00 in other repairs that the car apparently needs, not doubting his assessments necessarily, she does have a lot of miles on her. I am really unsure what way that I should go. I bought this car only a year ago for my long commute thinking it would be the most economical choice, and my current budget will not allow me to put so much into this car.

Is there any other way that I could try to get the DPF light to go off? I know that a delete will be suggested and I am not sure how to move forward on that and would like any information that you can provide!

Any suggestions on what my next step should be?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I don't know if you are familiar with Kirk, but you could message him and see what he has to say. He's pretty well versed on TDI's

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You may be better off parting ways with that car, and try to get something more affordable.

DPFs fail, that is not unusual. They are not cheap, that's why delete/tunes are so popular. But those are not exactly cheap either. And of course they are illegal.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Forgot to add he's just about 2 1/2 miles off the highway down M57