Need a new radio for 2010 JSW

chiefhiawatha

TDI
2010 JSW
Hi guys,

Anyone have a line on a new stereo for my 2010 JSW? Getting wide variety of prices from dealers. My old one stopped working unless I gave it a rap with my hand, eventually that stopped working too.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
There's a forum here where you could post a 'WTB' (want to buy).

On eBay and Craigslist, folks are often parting out wrecked cars. There should be a reasonable way to find a used one rather than a new one from the dealer.

If you do go for the dealer, try www.1stvwparts.com . It's a VW dealer in Washington state that has an online store. Best prices for original equipment parts.

EricVA

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
There's a forum member named Barry from WV that sells used OEM radios. I had gotten a quote of nearly $1k from the dealer to replace mine and bought one from Barry for around $300 I believe. Very happy with it.

vr6chris

TDI
'10 JSW S 2.5L 6mt
I have a 2013 RCD-510 that I'll sell for $275 shipped. I also have a 2012 RNS-315 listed in the classifieds that I'm selling for $350 shipped. The RCD-510 is a simple swap. The RNS-315 is a little more complicated of an installation, but you get more features.

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2011 JSW DSG(sold back to VW)
I bought an ebay radio as well and I love it! I did load a custom rom on day 1. I offered the seller $295(As I read another did) and they accepted :D Enon GA5153F
They also released this one recently GA5153W (without DVD)

Last edited:

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
There's a forum member named Barry from WV that sells used OEM radios. I had gotten a quote of nearly $1k from the dealer to replace mine and bought one from Barry for around $300 I believe. Very happy with it.

Vouch for Barry as well.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I bought one from Barry also. his user name is 'BarryT82'. He knew exactly which ones were easy plug and play for my car, answered many questions for me and my unit was on my front doorstep just a couple days after ordering. He sold me a used unit from a 2012 model car I think.

C3156

Veteran Member
TDI
All sold
Depends on what you want. You can typically get an aftermarket radio for less money and get some nicer features. I got mine from Crutchfield and it included a wiring and dash mounting kit. You could not connect the Sirius, but I never listen to it anyway.

The other option is buy a used VW radio as noted above.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hi guys,

Anyone have a line on a new stereo for my 2010 JSW? Getting wide variety of prices from dealers. My old one stopped working unless I gave it a rap with my hand, eventually that stopped working too.
+1 on all the above. Run don't walk from the dealer. To swap a radio is very easy, trim pops off, some screws, plug in connectors. You need to know what radio you have, likely a Premium 8, called a RCD 510. Get the same radio it is plug and play.

The later model non-Nav RCD 510's have back up camera capability. If you have NAV, then you need RNS 510 (looks like RCD 510) or RNS 315 (small screen).

1) If you buy a factory radio you MUST get the unlock code pin with the radio or you can't use it. Expect to pay $350-$400 for a good real OEM radio.

2) Don't buy VW factory radios made for the European market. The AM and FM radio station spacing is different. They are cheaper on eBay. If you don't care about radio, then this might be OK.

3) Aftermarket is another option. The best one arguably, Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX. with all the add-ons is going to cost $1500, much more than a used replacement. You will get a lot and it will interface with wheel controls. There are lower priced Pioneer AVIC NEX models around $900 and $600. As stated above Sirius XM may not integrate. You can always buy a Sirius receiver and feed it to the radio, but it's a separate device. Some brands of "2 DIN" sized radios have Sirius receivers that integrate with the radio control head.... It can get complicated making a choice.

4) The bargain aftermarket ones are good, like the Eonon. They seem to have a lot of features and interfaces with steering wheel controls. In their sales stuff it they make it look like it interfaces with an android phones, mirroring phone screen and allowing phone control from radio display. I don't think it can do that from what I read in reviews. I could be wrong. However for the price, it still has a lot of features for under $300; it's an attractive option. The NAV data base I think is open source. Many have bought report they were happy.

5) Then there are the VW clones, look factory but are not, generic clones. I would stay away from those. They may also have odd AM/FM station spacing. May be someone has had good luck with them, but I'd stay clear. They are cheap however, tempting. There are some on ebay shipping from California saying genuine VW for $99, then brand generic, and it says moved from new VW's in China. $99 free shipping might be worth a shot. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Genuine-RCD510-Auto-Bluetooth-USB-CD-Code-MP3-iPod-Radio-for-VW-Cars-/371199089254?hash=item566d309a66:g:ljIAAOSwKtlWsXEn&vxp=mtr

6) If you don't have a factory NAV radio you can upgrade with some extra work. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/rns-510-vw-radio-navigation-system-faq-and-comparison/

I like my factory RCD-510 radio... it sounds good, has more bells and whistles than I can use, 5 CD changer, SD card, iPod integration, Sirius XM, AM, FM and most used Bluetooth from my cell. My NAV duties are with Garmin mounted off the left air vent, with weather, traffic and BU camera. Speaking of NAV I use WAZE a lot... it's better than Garmin in many ways with real time info on accidents, police and road hazards.

Last edited:

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
Jumping on the thread; how do you remove the air vent surround to access the screws which hold the radio in place? I can pop the two top corner tabs out but the top center clip (I am guessing it is but can't see in there) doesn't want to budge and am afraid of breaking the plastic trim piece.

Can't find a You Tube video for my particular radio. Most have top air vents. Also looking for a line on a premium Sat, Bluetooth unit since mine went black.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Jumping on the thread; how do you remove the air vent surround to access the screws which hold the radio in place? I can pop the two top corner tabs out but the top center clip (I am guessing it is but can't see in there) doesn't want to budge and am afraid of breaking the plastic trim piece.

Can't find a You Tube video for my particular radio. Most have top air vents. Also looking for a line on a premium Sat, Bluetooth unit since mine went black.
This should answer the how-to remove the radio...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdqEA5WK2eM

Install is opposite removal if you're using a VW radio.

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
VR6Chris hooked me up with a an improved VW replacement radio at a very fair price and provides excellent customer service. I would contact him first.

Prophet

I have my factory original RNS-510 that I'm removing from my 2010 Golf If you're interested.

-P.