Need a new head unit

TDI
2002 1.9L Jetta TDI
My mk4's head unit just gave out, it was installed by a previous owner so it should be interesting to remove it. But i need a new one now and im interested in any suggestions. Requirements are basically just Bluetooth connectivity, but i wouldn't mind something that is Google maps compatible as well. Hoping to not spend an absolute fortune but i do want something that is good quality as i intend to run this car as long as i can.

TDI
2002 1.9L Jetta TDI
I've been considering upgrading the stock speakers as well so maybe now a good time to get a full system ??‍♂ idk much about audio stuff so any help is greatly appreciated. Head unit would preferably be touch screen as well

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Be very careful if you have a Monsoon system. The amplifier stays on and drains the battery if you use a non-Monsoon radio. I've read there may be a work-around, but I'm not sure if it's correct. You would need a different amplifier in that case. You can look at the SONY XAV line. it offers a few options at different price points, matches the factory colors fairly well, and several of them have a volume knob if you like that.

TDI
2002 1.9L Jetta TDI
Be very careful if you have a Monsoon system. The amplifier stays on and drains the battery if you use a non-Monsoon radio. I've read there may be a work-around, but I'm not sure if it's correct. You would need a different amplifier in that case. You can look at the SONY XAV line. it offers a few options at different price points, matches the factory colors fairly well, and several of them have a volume knob if you like that.
Got a good one that it says will fit! Thanks ?

cuppie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 B5.5 Passat 1.8t
Only happens sometimes - depends on HU brand. Some ground their speaker outputs when off - this is what causes the issue. Kenwood, for one, doesn't have that issue. If they did, my wagon's battery would be dead all the time (not unusual for it to sit for 3-5 days during the warm months.)
IF it happens, the workaround / fix is to install a 30A relay on the amplifier's power supply, and switch that relay with the AMP_ON line from the HU. Easy peasy. :)

TDI
2002 1.9L Jetta TDI
I ended up getting the Sony XAV-V10BT. It's a basic to the point unit with quite responsive touch, quick pairing, and it even improved my audio quality! Thanks again for the recommendation!

Oh and the best part is the screen can be turned off while night driving so i can actually see now ?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
Glad it worked well for you. I'm likely going for one of them too. I had that one on my short list before installing the VW Mexican-market unit, which I am not happy with.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I got mine installed this week XAV-AX1000. very happy with the sound quality. Had a back up camera installed too. Haven't had any time to explore it more than that.

TDI
2002 1.9L Jetta TDI
Awesome! I recently put new rims on my car and so far i haven't even heard one negative thing on how it looks which quite surprised me lol