Need a mechanic in Tacoma.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
2013, 2002 jetta, 06 tdi jetta
Hello folks, I have not been on line for a while. The problem we have is my fiancees son is stationed in Tacoma, he is having some cooling issues. He claims it losses coolant, then he will top it off so the coolant lite goes out.
Then after driving the lite comes back on. The reservoir is empty again, if he leaves it over night the coolant comes back. Folks, I have a degree in Physics and this makes no sense to me. The bottom line is we need to find a good honest TDI mechanic in Tacoma Wa. This young man needs some help.

Best Regards, P930man:)

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
under the 101 forum is a list of trusted Mechanics. My work computer wont let me open it to look, but I think the nearest is Portland, Ore.

There is a shop near Tacoma I would trust . the owner does a call in auto talk show on a local radio station every saturday. Tom Turner. His shop is Performance Auto 34703 16 ave S. Federal Way. 253-927-2079. email is KVIAUTOGUY@aol.com

but if its loosing a lot of water and no puddle, guess would be head gasket. When running uses water, When parked it leaks air into cooling passages and pushes water back into the overflow bottle.

What year TDI does he have?? someone with experiance in that model might have suggestions for you.

p930man

Veteran Member
TDI
2013, 2002 jetta, 06 tdi jetta
I thought it might be head gasket as well, I told him to check his oil for water and excessive pressure at the tank. He claims there is no apparent fluid leak that he can see. He brought the car to the Firestone near the base and told hims it's his heater hoses. It's 2006 Jetta, it has +/- 200k on the car, they want 600$ plus to do the work.
I'm afraid they are trying to take advantage of a young Army kid. Thanks for your help.
By the way he did just drive it from Houston to Tacoma in Dec.

Best Regards, p930man.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I am no certified auto mechanic but If he needs someone to take a quick look to agree or disagree with what he was told, I could do that. was going to offer sooner but spent the last several days helping a church group with something, driving over the mountain pass several times in last week, and had to wait and be done with that mess.

My son was Army MP, 2 tours Iraq. Took him over a year to spool down after he got out. originally was thinking police when he signed up MP but after he got out decided he never wants to touch a real gun again. Works online gaming dept for a company, playing with pretend guns now.