NE Ohio MK4 newbie needs a TB Guru

Tdeli

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hey everyone. I've been a lurker for a long time, and finally pulled the trigger on a 2000 Jetta TDI with 250000 mi. I've cleaned her up and have gone over basic maintenance and some front end work myself. From my lurking I've learned that I probably don't want to attempt the timing belt. Can anyone recommend me someone who can do this at a reasonable cost? I'd drive anywhere (almost) to have it done right reasonably. Don't want to pay $1200 for the belt...barely paid that for the car. lol I'm between Akron and Youngstown every day and don't mind a few hours or so travel like I said. Anyone that can help please let me know here or through PM if needing discretion. I appreciate any help!

silverstick

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta GLS (160K miles), and '05 Jetta GLS wagon (120K)
The shop below is in Marysville, Ohio, not too far from Columbus. I think it's on the list of TDIClub trusted mechanics. (You can check.)

I haven't used them, but have corresponded with them about having our cars serviced there, if and when we move to the Cleveland area. I appreciated their response, and would definitely drive down and try them if we wound up there.

http://www.jonsautocare.com/

Good luck.

Tdeli

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I actually spoke with Jon's wife today. Just want to shop my options, but it's not looking like I have many. Lol Hard to believe with this large community I can't find anyone closer than 3 hours away but I know it's a better option than going to my local VW dealer.

Tdeli

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Thanks, dog! waiting on an estimate from them now. Sounded very knowledgeable.

Ecostco

TDI
2001 Jetta
tb job

Whitbread charges $375. Labor. Parts are around $300. Gaylord MI.

Tdeli

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Thanks for all the help everyone. Looks like it should be done next week. All were close on price and sounded very knowledgeable. Too knowledgeable even....most of these guys seem to be booked up for months. I'll be sure to post about the job when it's done.

SaxmanKana

Veteran Member
TDI
Dweisel's Diesel, 2000 Blue Beetle 5 speed
There's a place here in Warren, Ohio close to the 717 credit union/Delphi, that many of my freinds from Cleveland that have TDI's use. Good & reasonable they said.
PM me & I'll get you a name & number.

Dave

Tdeli

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Ok, ended up with Dreamwerks in West Middlesex, PA. This guy knows his stuff. Knowledgeable, personable, and fair priced. Went over the car and gave some advice without selling me anything or charging extra. If you're anywhere near I definitely recommend him.