NB coolant leak from upper radiator hose

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
My wife's 2000 NB has sprung a slight coolant leak. At first, I thought it was the typical cold weather coolant level drop and it just required a slight top-up. Since then it required several more top-ups and the last straw was the trail of expensive pink water on the garage floor. So I had a second guess ;) that it was an actual leak.

I narrowed it down to the upper radiator hose, the one that goes from the radiator to the coolant flange on the left side of the engine (left as you're sitting in the driver's seat, not as you're facing it). There's a plastic union (1C0121619A) with a plugged port in the middle of this hose.

It appeared to be leaking from the plugged port. Rather do a temporary* fix than have the car unusable for several days, I drained out some coolant, took apart the union, cleaned & dried it, then gave the hose barb ends, the plug and its sealing ring/ring land all a thin coat of black RTV. Let it set up for about 10 minutes, reassembled the union, put it back into the hoses and waited a few hours to refill with coolant. Since then it's been leak free, but I'm keeping an eye on it over the next several heat & pressure cycles.

A couple questions: Has anyone else had this union leak?

It appears that the plug is a spot for a coolant temp sensor. What I'd really like to do is completely replace this three-piece unit with a single one-piece hose, eliminating three potential leak points. I haven't dug around too much in ETKA, but does anyone know of a replacement one-piece hose for later model years? It appears the BEW-engined Beetles have a one-piece hose in this location but I'd like to verify with an owner.

* 'temporary' in the Red Green sense - 'This is only temporary... unless it works!'

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
check the golf & jettas, I dont think they have a 3 piece hose in this location...

edit.. nevermind, the golf/jettas have a 3 piece design as well, used to connect forthe line back to the coolant bottle.

oh well, it was a thought.

Kingcodez

Veteran Member
TDI
00-Beetle
Sorry to raise the dead but this was the only thread on this I could find at the time.
My union was leaking a lot, maybe a gallon a week. I couldn't get the thing to stop leaking and figured it was just another opportunity to remove extra parts from my car.
The easiest way is to remove the tubing and goto a parts store and just find a radiator hose that matches the profile. The one I found I think was a simple L shape, much too long, and didn't fit right.
I struggled to get it on and clamped properly, next time I would buy the clamps for silicon intercooler couplings because those are really easy to operate. It wasn't touching anything and it held up fine in the month that I drove after.