Navy considering using Biofuels....

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
All branches of the US Military have been using biofuels at various points of time in the past decade.

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Heard a news report last week that stated that the Republicans in congress were pushing to end all green initiatives in the military including biofuels because they were more costly to produce than dino fuels. Seems kind of short sighted to me.

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
The link goes to a site that does have an advertisement for the first 10 seconds, then the article comes up. There is a click on button to bypass the ad if you want to go directly to the article.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
If I recall the latest price, the Biofuels at current pricing is in excess of $25.00 per gallon...YES PER GALLON.

Not exactly a prudent expenditure of tax dollars and military resources.

They are still looking to develop the fuels as an alternative however due to cost they will not enter the mainstream until methods evolve the permit a more realistic price per unit of fuel.

FWIW, the Military uses a lot of fuels that are expensive, however those niche fuels cannot be had for anything less than astronomical. When it comes to Jet fuel, Diesel fuel it's hard to justify fuels that exceed current fuels without any benefit in respect to performance or the like.

Last edited by a moderator:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Money should not be spent on buying expensive biofuels. Money should be spent on developing less expensive biofuels.

The legitimate justification for the military is having the ability/capability to tap multiple fuel sources in the time of war/shortage to allow for the flexibility for such uncertainties. It should never be a political issue or an idealogical issue, it should remain a practical issue.

The real problem identified with the $26 per gallon fuel is a systemic problem with the goberment in general (and as a practical matter, the comparable thought process of a renter versus an owner). For some unexplained reason (and no matter how many scandals, firings and shamings that occur) they just are not concerned with wasting taxpayer money.

In summary, Biofuels are a great concept and the capability of use should be built in and available for such a crisis, but the actual use should not be occurring now, in this economy, as we are 16 trillion in debt and deficit spending 1.3 trillion every year (ie a yearly "stimulus" spending) so we cannot afford to waste $26 per gallon in more "feel" good activities.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Just guessing here, number wise, but: The military burns so much fuel that we could probably convert all our agriculture to biofuel production and they would burn all of it.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Military fuel/energy consumption is a drop in the bucket vs the Civilian world...

Another issue is that the military fuel supply has to be compatible with a wide range of vehicle and fuel system types (JP-4, JP-8 etc).

The only viable fuel that I have seen that can be used are the Biomass to FT, however the one thing that cannot be overlooked is the domestic availability and relatively low cost of natural gas in the US. This provides one of the best sources for FT fuels which can then produce a multitude of middle distillate like fuels that comply with various "JP" specs as well as other civilian fuel specifications.

Bio fuels is for the most part a generic and non-specific term that has truly yet to be defined. What crops, and sources are the primary feedstock, nobody has defined this and it is highly unlikely that any military would lock in on something like this.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If I recall the latest price, the Biofuels at current pricing is in excess of $25.00 per gallon...YES PER GALLON./QUOTE]

Is that the cost of Mil-spec biodiesel? We're paying $4.00/gallon for ASTM certified B99.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Heard a news report last week that stated that the Republicans in congress were pushing to end all green initiatives in the military including biofuels because they were more costly to produce than dino fuels. Seems kind of short sighted to me.[/QUOTE]

You cant be serious? :eek: In what world would spending 7X the money on fuel be shortsighted? Pretty sure the repubs YOU are talking about are trying to keep FOOLS from spending $26 per gallon on fuel when they can get it for $4, not end ALL green initiatives. Dont forget this is YOUR money the Navy is looking to spend!

$26 per gallon, GO NAVY!!! http://www.examiner.com/article/navy-to-run-on-26-per-gallon-bio-diesel

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If I recall the latest price, the Biofuels at current pricing is in excess of $25.00 per gallon...YES PER GALLON./QUOTE]

Is that the cost of Mil-spec biodiesel? We're paying $4.00/gallon for ASTM certified B99.

Yes, that is the cost.

Military is dumping JP-8 and switching to Jet A. .02/gallon savings adds up. Almost $2M annually in the Air Force alone.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
since my old TDI got totalled.... does anyone still go to the b20 pump at the Navy exchange station by the pentagon?

so... yes, the Navy has been selling biofuels for a number of years now.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
The political commentary in this thread is near, or on...a thin line. I can't tell yet.

The military spends about $250 a gallon for fuel in Afghanistan. Would make a lot of sense to convert local vegetable oils to biodiesel in-theater, there.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
The military spends about $250 a gallon for fuel in Afghanistan. Would make a lot of sense to convert local vegetable oils to biodiesel in-theater, there.
Quote your source.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
Surely your google-fu cannot be that weak..?
My google-fu returned this: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=fuel+in+afghanistan&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 (note the several sources at $400 a gallon). Your google results may vary (they're tailored to each of us, slightly.)
I guess I read the articles differently, of course anything airdropped is going to cost a lot of money. So, even a dozen eggs is gonna cost a ton if air dropped in to a combat outpost.

Fuel costs also go up when ass bag countries like Pakistan act up and close supply routes.