Navigation System RNS 510 Update DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerstroker363

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG, 2014 Passat SEL DSG (SOLD), 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
FYI, I received today from VW a navigation system update DVD for my 13. But not for my 14.... It says the to update the Navigation System Software to Enhance Radio Stability.... I don't know if this is the same update that LokiWolf sent me. When I get my car back tomorrow from the dealer I put it in and find out. The only thing the DVD says is North America (V5.2M).

LokiWolf,
Once I see what this is and if its any thing new than what you sent me, if you would like I can send you the DVD so that everyone else can use it too. I don't have the capabilities that you do to crack the DVD and copy it.

-------------

Moderator Note:

Please see the following thread for continued discussion...

RNS510 Firmware & Maps Info Thread

Last edited by a moderator:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Thanks I appreciate it. Hoping I get a copy in the mail. Sounds like VW might be doing us a solid! I am now up to 6 people that I know that have received it. Here is my post from the 510 thread at Vortex:

It appears to be newer. You are the 3rd person I have heard from to receive it. According to the version info on the disc it is 7994. I want to get a closer look at it, but I haven't got a copy in my hand yet. The version number makes it appear newer, but I want to look at the date on the actual data files to tell for sure. I will know more shortly.

Still not sure why VW is sending it out. Maybe enough people complained? I hope so!

Also, there is a new version of the firmware, 4369. It appears to only be for the K versions of the RNS510, that have a different drive controller, and an SSD. Don't think lightning fast like a PC with an SSD. This SSD is still IDE, but combined with the newest flavor of Firmware, is going to help, especially for retrieving Map data and POI's. So those people with all but the first 2014's should have a much better experience.

powerstroker363

TDI
2013 Passat SEL DSG, 2014 Passat SEL DSG (SOLD), 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins
Thanks I appreciate it. Hoping I get a copy in the mail. Sounds like VW might be doing us a solid! I am now up to 6 people that I know that have received it. Here is my post from the 510 thread at Vortex:

It appears to be newer. You are the 3rd person I have heard from to receive it. According to the version info on the disc it is 7994. I want to get a closer look at it, but I haven't got a copy in my hand yet. The version number makes it appear newer, but I want to look at the date on the actual data files to tell for sure. I will know more shortly.

Still not sure why VW is sending it out. Maybe enough people complained? I hope so!

Also, there is a new version of the firmware, 4369. It appears to only be for the K versions of the RNS510, that have a different drive controller, and an SSD. Don't think lightning fast like a PC with an SSD. This SSD is still IDE, but combined with the newest flavor of Firmware, is going to help, especially for retrieving Map data and POI's. So those people with all but the first 2014's should have a much better experience.
Yes i agree with the firmware of 4369 because my wife's 2014 has the 4369 firmware, the only thing I had to do to her's was the VIM and Map update. It had the old map version.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Alright, so one of the people that received the disc, checked dates on files in the db folder and they are from 12/15/2011. The ones on the V6 disc are from 12/22/2012. While what VW sent has a higher version number, I don't believe the actual data contained within it is newer. I would not recommend anybody who has installed the V6 disc to install the one VW sent until we have a chance to do more homework on the disc.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Hope they sent the latest for the 315 to the dealers also... I'll drive over there tomorrow and see.....

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Hope they sent the latest for the 315 to the dealers also... I'll drive over there tomorrow and see.....
Again like I said, this is NOT the most current Map data, just a higher version number. At least from what I can tell so far. This appears to be what should have come with the cars with the RNS 510...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
If I can find ANY update at my dealer, it would be better than what I have.... real OLD maps!

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
If I can find ANY update at my dealer, it would be better than what I have.... real OLD maps!
Understood. Sorry I couldn't help. The 315's limited storage is making it hard for me to adapt the map data from the 510 disc to it.

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
i wonder if vw is sending them out based on delivery date?

question for those who received the dvd...

1. did you request?
2. when did you buy the car?

i took delivery at the end of july '13. i wonder when (if) i will get a copy....

garment69

TDI
2013 Passat SEL w/DSG
I took delivery of my car on June 10th and recieved the discs today. Did not request anything. I purchased the discs from ebay and updated my system a couple of months ago.

LokiWorf, you are suggesting not to use these discs to update yet?

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
i wonder if vw is sending them out based on delivery date?....
Probably something like that. Maybe within 30 days, maybe within 90 days after delivery? Maybe under 12K miles? But it also depends on, I would think, the release date of the new version. Who knows. But I seriously doubt everyone with a '13 RNS510 will get an update from VW.

Last edited:

Ray Khan

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I got the DVD today as well. Will installing it change my vim? Will this make the touchscreen any more responsive? What does it do exactly?

panther_v

TDI
'13 Passat TDI SEL
Probably something like that. Maybe within 30 days, maybe within 90 days after delivery? Maybe under 12K miles? But it also depends on, I would think, the release date of the new version. Who knows. But I seriously doubt everyone with a '13 RNS510 will get an update from VW.
or maybe only a certain version of rns 510 will get this dvd?

mine is too slow, i just haven't had a chance to hit up lokiwolf for a link.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
Received mine today, my delivery was end July '12. I'll wait and see before installing, as I've already done the s/w update, but not the maps.

I guess now if I try the V6 update and it fails, at least I've got a fallback.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I guess now if I try the V6 update and it fails, at least I've got a fallback.
EXACTLY! I am glad VW is sending them. It should have come with the car to start off with!

I got mine today, and will break down the files tonight, to see what they actually contain.

Based on my first look, here are a few takeaways.

1). It is a Map disc, and that is it.
2). Other than maybe reorganizing how the map data is stored, it CANNOT help the radio be faster in general. The letter it comes with alludes that it will make the unit faster.
3). It does not contain the Firmware flash, which is what actually improves the performance and features of the unit.
4). Surface look at the files with the Map Database data, they are older than the V6 that we have been using.

I would recommend you not install it if you already have V6, if you don't go for it. I am pretty sure though, that if you do, you will not be able to install the V6 I have been giving people. The version will be newer and you will need to trick it to get it to install.

I am not an employee of VW, Navteq, or Continental, just a geek and car nut. So I do not know any of the above for sure, but am basing it of of the experience with this unit and the updates over the past few months.

Also, I am pretty sure all 2013's are getting this. I bought mine at the beginning of August 2012, and it has 32K+ miles.

I'll have more info by tomorrow.

StoneCrab

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Got my DVD today and installed it. Took a couple hours. Initial use appears that map responsiveness is improved. Zoom in and out seems faster. My 2013 was on the factory version it came with when I bought it in Aug 2012. I welcome any update, especially if it comes from the factory.

whiteywhip

TDI
1968 572 HEMI ROADRUNNER 2013 PASSAT TDI SEL PREMIUM
got mine today.....cant wait for the improvement.....how this does the trick

ACSCOTT

TDI
2014 TDI SEL Premium
I had a 2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium and now (yesterday) just traded up to a 2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium. I received the update disc today for the 2013, should I use it on the 2014? Any help appreciated.

VWJayhawk

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
To second all of this, I just called the VW care line and everyone is getting the new software. I've been away from the forum for a while (busy life now) so wasn't keeping on top of it. I told her I was relieved and I thought I would have to waste so much time throwing a fit until they replaced the old version with the new haha.

Didn't see this coming, but sure glad they did it!

For what it's worth, she said the 2014s were not getting it (I think it is because they have been shipped with it).

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
...I just called the VW care line and everyone is getting the new software...
Well thats nice of them. Glad my skepticism was just that.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I updated my RNS 315 from Vers 3 to Vers 4 a couple weeks ago......cost me 181 though.......and they are still telling people it isn't available yet

cmarcho

TDI
2015 Corvette Z51 7spd / 2016 ATS-V (was '13 passat sel)
I received my disc today in the mail.

So what is the consensus here? It's newer than what came on the car, but not as new as the maps LokiWolf sent?

ChrisB009

Just received the update disc today...any update from the group if this is in fact a FW update or just maps? From Loki's first view it appears this is only a map update,

Chris

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
So clarity. I will post some Pics later when I get a chance to maybe help everybody see what I am talking about.

1). Not a Firmware update.
2). Map Data is the same that came with the car(raw map data)
3). It appears to arrange the data differently to improve access to the data when using anything Nav related.

If you are running stock, it should be an improvement in speed in Nav.

tdrag97

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Prem
so this should not mess with our VIM mod that we have done previous to the update correct?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Here is the info that matters, much easier than a screen shot...same has been posted on Vortex:

V5.2 we all just received:

Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_7994
Date: 26.4.2013
db: NA(2011Q3)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.134.7.84
Customer Version: V5.2
Customer: 1627386848
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW) - pti(VW)
TPD: 2012020000
SVD: EDB_20120209
TMC: 20130423
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.29_V7.6_V8.15_V10.4_basename_wrong_names_in_map

SIRIUS:13.05.2011

V6 Disc that has been available for months:

Continental Automotive GmbH
I IC RD CC NAV DB PROD

Content

Volume: CD_7963
Date: 5.2.2013
db: NA(2012Q3)
Area: North America
Subarea: ALL
Supplier: Navteq
Version: 505.19.234.1.84
Customer Version: V6
Customer: 1627386848
Customer Info: VW
Features: ZIP3kb - feaV10(VW)
TPD: 2013010000
SVD: EDB_20130108
TMC: 20121031
Phoneme: Navteq
DBAL: VW-V6.29_V7.6_V8.15_V10.4_basename_wrong_names_in_map

SIRIUS: 13.05.2011

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Key lines to look at are the db, Version, and customer version. This is old data. DO NOT load this if you have V6 loaded. It will load older Map data.

The good news, you have 2 opportunities after you insert it, not to install it. If you press Continue, you will then get an install/use choice. If you choose install it will remove al the Map data you currently have and start installing the older. If you do use, you can then eject.

Good thing about everybody getting this disc, is if the V6 update fails like it has for some people, they can use this 5.2 disc to get Maps back!

agmx

TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium TDI w/DSG; 2002 F250 Lariat 7.3L PowerStroke; sold 2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 2
Would it be safe to say that if you have NOT loaded V6 and your car was purchased in May 2013 or earlier, this would be an update from what shipped in the vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.