Navigation Software for The Fest

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
It's probably to change course, so to speak, but I just ordered MS Streets and Trips 2004 ($39-$10 rebate). It has Canadian info, while my Delorme product does not. I'm hoping to get the Delorme Earthmate USB GPS receiver working with it. I've downloaded drivers from the Delorme web site that apparently allow the USB GPS unit to work with the serial port info that Streets and Trips expects.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

I'm hoping not to get lost during the rally! Especially after a winery stop or two!

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Thanks Gary.
Amazon does have free shipping vs 6 bucks. This place also has at least one store in New York State, so I assume a tax of 7 or 9 percent would apply, maybe another 2 bucks.

The software is on its way to me. I post on this thread whether I get it to work with my Earthmate USB GPS unit.

It sure would be nice to know where I was on our Canadian adventure.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I got the Earthmate USB GPS to work with Maps and Streets. It involves downloading a USB to serial driver from the Delorme website. Seems to be a lot of detail in the maps. The hotel is on there! Now if I would have the rally directions.....

What kind of rally is this anyway, when trips to wineries are involved??

I'm starting to get really psyched for the FEST!

ALCO

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 A3 Jetta, silver/2005 B5 Passat, silver
VelvetFoot, I've been using Delorme Map'N Go for several years but their detail for Canada is pathetic. I'll be interested in checking out your Maps and Streets software at the Fest. I intend to map out some points of interest for you, should you decide to take the northern route home. Just gotta get down to it...

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Outstanding! I like the Delorme product, StreetAtlas USA. They don't even show a product for Canada on their website.

fincoop

Veteran Member
I use Streets & Trips. Never tried GPS, but it works very well in Canada with two caveats:

1) Sometimes roads are RR-# instead of their name, and
2) You might get told to Turn right (North) onto Road East or even Road South!! The bracketed term is your actual direction and has nothing to do with the street name.

Otherwise I've used that software to get everywhere.