Navigation ponderings

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2001
Location
NJ, U.S.A.
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Weighing two routes to the Fest, thought I'd try to pull in some local feedback.

I can either come straight down I-95, or I can head west into PA on I-78 and then use US-15 to come down (this keeps me well away from Baltimore/DC/Phila urban flybys). Distance and drive time (according to Google Maps) is very close, with I-95 having maybe a 10-mile/5 minute advantage.

That's all well and good, but I know that there's always the "unquantifiables" to consider - traffic, construction, etc. Anyone have any experience with these two routes that could be of use? I'll probably move the CB from the Jeep into the TDI for this run, so that I have supplemental traffic intel.


Thanks all,

Rob
 

Leo819

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Location
Limerick, Pa
TDI
TDIless 4 now
Rob Mayercik said:
Weighing two routes to the Fest, thought I'd try to pull in some local feedback.

I can either come straight down I-95, or I can head west into PA on I-78 and then use US-15 to come down (this keeps me well away from Baltimore/DC/Phila urban flybys). Distance and drive time (according to Google Maps) is very close, with I-95 having maybe a 10-mile/5 minute advantage.


Thanks all,

Rob
Some of us from Philly are taking the PATK to Route 15 on Friday afternoon leaving noonish
 

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Location
Stamford, CT
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I will be routing around delaware as it infuriates me that I have to pay something like $12 to get through a state that small.
 

Leo819

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2003
Location
Limerick, Pa
TDI
TDIless 4 now
Lex4TDI4Life said:
I will be routing around delaware as it infuriates me that I have to pay something like $12 to get through a state that small.
there are ways around that toll. get off a newark and go by the old chrysler factory and hop on at elkton... IIRC
 

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 2, 2000
Location
Springfield, VA
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
15 is a very nice drive, and gets you very close to the hotel while avoiding quite a bit of holiday and rush hour traffic on I-95.
 

SnowCub

Veteran Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Location
Bedford, MA
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Rob Mayercik said:
Weighing two routes to the Fest, thought I'd try to pull in some local feedback.

I can either come straight down I-95, or I can head west into PA on I-78 and then use US-15 to come down (this keeps me well away from Baltimore/DC/Phila urban flybys). Distance and drive time (according to Google Maps) is very close, with I-95 having maybe a 10-mile/5 minute advantage.

Rob
I have done the route from Boston to Rockville, MD numerous times to visit my brother over the past 10 years and taking the route into PA and down 15 is always easier on the nerves and less traffic. Although PA has more construction. I highly recommend it.

The DC area is a mess, unfortunately I can't avoid it this time since we're going to be in Atlantic City the night before.
 

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 2, 2000
Location
Springfield, VA
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
A note to everyone coming into town on Friday. Try and plan your drive so that you're not entering the DC Metro area between 3:00pm and 5:00pm.

Also, no radar detectors. They're illegal in VA. :(
 

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2001
Location
NJ, U.S.A.
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
VeeDubTDI said:
A note to everyone coming into town on Friday. Try and plan your drive so that you're not entering the DC Metro area between 3:00pm and 5:00pm.

Also, no radar detectors. They're illegal in VA. :(
An excellent point on the Fuzzbusters - had already planned on pulling mine Friday morning before heading out (departure time as yet TBD).

Fortunately, I have my GPS set up to always show me the approximate ground speed at which I'm travelling, so I'll at least have "passive countermeasures" so I can blend in with the crowd.

"When one flies the unfriendly skies, it is best to fly unsighted." --unknown
 

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Location
maryland
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Rob Mayercik said:
An excellent point on the Fuzzbusters - had already planned on pulling mine Friday morning before heading out (departure time as yet TBD).

Fortunately, I have my GPS set up to always show me the approximate ground speed at which I'm travelling, so I'll at least have "passive countermeasures" so I can blend in with the crowd.

"When one flies the unfriendly skies, it is best to fly unsighted." --unknown
Just unplug it and chuck it in the glove box at the VA line. If you pass thought the District at all it is verboten there as well.
 

arne487

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2008
Location
Fort Collins, CO
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
LiLredTDI said:
Just unplug it and chuck it in the glove box at the VA line. If you pass thought the District at all it is verboten there as well.
I believe that it is illegal just to have a radar detector in the car, even if it's in the glove box. Although, I've never gotten a ticket with it sitting on the dash and turned on. I got pulled over once with it on, and was relieved when I was told that my tail light was burned out, and the officer had some questions about biodiesel.
 

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #131
Joined
Jun 30, 1997
Location
Kensington, Maryland USA
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
The last time I came down Rt 15 I got rearended in traffic at the Bridge between MD and VA in bad construction Traffic........
 

jettafock

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Location
Catonsville, MD
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
tomo366 said:
The last time I came down Rt 15 I got rearended in traffic at the Bridge between MD and VA in bad construction Traffic........
i bet you liked it too.
 

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 2, 2000
Location
Springfield, VA
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You need to revise your destination. :)

2300 Dulles Corner Boulevard
Herndon, VA 20171

The hotel is on the opposite side of 267 from the destination on your map.
 

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
Joined
Jun 22, 2006
Location
Stamford, CT
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS 5spd Manual
I just put in Dulles, VA. Thanks for reminding me!

VeeDubTDI said:
You need to revise your destination. :)

2300 Dulles Corner Boulevard
Herndon, VA 20171

The hotel is on the opposite side of 267 from the destination on your map.
 

BrentRN

Veteran Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2006
Location
New London, PA USA
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Lex4TDI4Life said:
OK, this is what I worked out:

[Google Map of US40 bridge in Perryville MD}
Yes, I am a cheap bastich. I own a VW afterall :p
The US 40 bridge is the same $5 toll as the I-95 bridge in the northerly (or East for US40) direction. There is no toll savings via that route. However, there is no toll in any direction on the US1 Bridge that crosses the Conowingo Dam which is the next bridge north of the I-95 bridge.

BTW: Both the I-95 and US40 bridges accept EZ-PASS.
 
Last edited:
Top