N1DAS - the end of weapons grade torque

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Hello all! Its been a long time. I'm here to announce that in July, Lisa Sterrett, Dave Sterretts (N1das) wife, call to tell me he had passed away on February 19th htis year. He developed a very aggressive throat cancer that killed him in weeks. This was coupled with a stroke. I didnt know what to say, so, I called a few folks to tell them...but I felt it is my duty to let everyone who was fortunate enough to know him, that he has passed on. Most will remember him by his tag line "weapons grade torque"....or is various abbreviations for stuff. But we all know him for his love of cars. His cars were like his children. He had no children, just his cats whom he loved very much, and his cars. I was fortunate enough to have bought his 2010 wagen several years ago as well as his 2005 wagen. When he bought the 535d, he stopped at my shop to show me. He was so excited. He showed me all the bells and whistles in detail. I then said, "Dave....did you get every option?" To which he replied, "yes....I ordered every option ....full baller status". No joke...he actually said that...it was the funniest thing I've ever heard him say. He then said, "someday, when the 535d gets a ton of miles, I'll sell you that one too when I buy something else" I told him to take his time....there was no way I could ever afford such a car, even with miles. Well, Lisa told me that on his deathbed, when he could barely talk, he told her "sell Chill my last two cars, I want them to be taken care of. To go to a car guy". So, I do have both his 535d and his X5d. I'm honored to take up the weapons grade torque cars.

I know I am rambling on, but I thought folks should have a memory of mine from my interactions with Dave I'd appreciate it if folks could post anything they like...but especailly any memories they have with him. I do have a map to his grave, and Lisa would really appreciate it if we could organize a trip up to pay respects. She doesnt drive, so I or anyone else could pick her up and go there if we can plan something. It would mean a lot to her. If anyone has pix, please post them up...I will dig some out myself.

Last edited:

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Thanks for sharing. I met him in person at tdifest 2016. He was very friendly and had his 535d there - I could tell it was his dream car by how giddily he showed off every option it had. Sorry to hear of his passing.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Thanks for the post, Chris. Hopefully Dave is flying high with compression ignited forced inducted weapons grade torque somewhere better. Take good care of those cars for him!

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
Thanks for posting this Chris, it really bummed me out when you called and told me he passed. I met Dave in 2011 at the first HO5G that I attended. I remember asking him what got him into TDIs and he told me a story about buying an old radio tower in western Massachusetts(he was an avid ham radio guy, hence his online handle) that had a generator that was powered by either an inline 5 or 6 cylinder naturally aspirated IDI VW engine, mounted standing on end. I remember going for a ride with him in his 535D at Fest and he broke the tires loose with four of us in the car! His enthusiasm was contagious I always enjoyed chatting with him, he was quite a character. His presence will be missed.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
This a sad posting. Most of the eastern Ho5G attendees new David and Lisa. There were generous contributors to the Ho5G GTGs of the past. We will miss the Segway rolling up and down our drive during GTGs.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
I think I saw on Facebook that Mr. Chill had mentioned he had one of David's cars and I made a mental note to ask how that happened. Now I know. It is indeed very sad. David and I both graduated from VWs to other diesels. He to BMW and me to Mercedes. We had some great conversations including the intricate differences between the diesel X3 that my wife, Sheryl, has and his X5. My fondest memory of David will be the GTG at the HO5G where I was stroking out from dehydration, because I was running around like a headless chicken in a candy coop and forgot to drink any water. He graciously offered a 20 pack of water to me, that he had in his car. I believe I got through a third of it before I felt better.

Not to make lite of a sad situation but this is a good opportunity to remind everyone to chase their dreams. Don't put your bucket list off for too long. David got the cars that he wanted and he loved them. I always wondered what it would be like to own a Citroen CX and I also wondered how hard it would be to import an old car from Europe. I ticked both of those off my list last year. And yes I still own the Diesel MB S350.

GTiTDi

TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
I think I saw on Facebook that Mr. Chill had mentioned he had one of David's cars and I made a mental note to ask how that happened. Now I know. It is indeed very sad. David and I both graduated from VWs to other diesels. He to BMW and me to Mercedes. We had some great conversations including the intricate differences between the diesel X3 that my wife, Sheryl, has and his X5. My fondest memory of David will be the GTG at the HO5G where I was stroking out from dehydration, because I was running around like a headless chicken in a candy coop and forgot to drink any water. He graciously offered a 20 pack of water to me, that he had in his car. I believe I got through a third of it before I felt better.

Not to make lite of a sad situation but this is a good opportunity to remind everyone to chase their dreams. Don't put your bucket list off for too long. David got the cars that he wanted and he loved them. I always wondered what it would be like to own a Citroen CX and I also wondered how hard it would be to import an old car from Europe. I ticked both of those off my list last year. And yes I still own the Diesel MB S350.
I know of a CX GTI that needs resurrection in N Falmouth Cape Cod...

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Chris, Thank you so much for sharing this. I am glad to read that Dave's cars ended up & in great home & that you will take care of them & honor his kindness & memory.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
That is sad news to hear. I thought about him last week out of the blue....now I know why. I can remember when I made my first post on TDI club looking for VCDS help on a former WVO beetle a friend of mine had bought, it was David who was the very first to reach out and offer assistance. Here he is at the last Ho5G (I believe) on 1/1/2019 at far right. It was always great chatting with him...he was a super knowledgable guy on a vast array of technical subjects that were and still are over my head but for those moments, could shine a light on the dark cobwebbed corners of my understanding. Diesel on Sir, diesel on!

tdi54

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Diesel(sold), 2009 Jetta TDI MT(sold)2010 Jetta TDI MT, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, DSG, 99 Ford F 350 PSD Dually, 2016 BMW X5 xDrive35d, 2016 535d
I am very sorry to hear Dave's passing, and my sincere condolences to his family. I know him from the Bimmerfest forum (N1DAS) and have conversed with him quite a bit as we both had very identical BMW Diesels. His knowledge and helpful, nice personality will be missed.
In fact, his valuable info regarding 535d BMW was instrumental in my decision to buy my 2016 535d.
Rest in Peace.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
That is sad news to hear. I thought about him last week out of the blue....now I know why. I can remember when I made my first post on TDI club looking for VCDS help on a former WVO beetle a friend of mine had bought, it was David who was the very first to reach out and offer assistance. Here he is at the last Ho5G (I believe) on 1/1/2019 at far right. It was always great chatting with him...he was a super knowledgable guy on a vast array of technical subjects that were and still are over my head but for those moments, could shine a light on the dark cobwebbed corners of my understanding. Diesel on Sir, diesel on!

I’m also glad to have known him, he was a great guy and we chatted often.

My dad, W386 on the boards (in the hat), passed away May 21 last year in his sleep. He loved attending the Ho5G gatherings and the TDI fests. I’d never seen this pic before, thanks for sharing.

Too many gone too soon.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I, too, was sad to hear of his passing. I met him at Ho5G in 2004 when I had my Wagon tuned. He was my first post-tune passenger, and after a short ride he immediately cornered Jeff and got his Golf tuned. And he never looked back.

I also remember him riding around Ho5G on his Segway. He did love gadgets.

GTiTDi

TDI
I’m also glad to have known him, he was a great guy and we chatted often.

My dad, W386 on the boards (in the hat), passed away May 21 last year in his sleep. He loved attending the Ho5G gatherings and the TDI fests. I’d never seen this pic before, thanks for sharing.

Too many gone too soon.
Sorry to hear that Mark. I remember when you guys came down to buy some parts left over from my first TDI swap donor.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Sorry to hear this (but glad to see you back, Chill) - I remember Dave's stories about that generator set fondly.

My late father was an old-school ham (Extra class), so the call-sign forum handle always caught my eye.

"73", Dave - hope you're out rolling coal somewhere on the celestial highways and loving every minute of it...

HWgeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Ouch, really sad news, sorry to hear about N1DAS. Met his at a couple GTGs @ PeterV and Hamsters. Always a stand up guy and easy to chat with, he will be missed.

ITSPREZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Thanks for posting this Chris. I never met Dave in person but have heard many stories about him and all were of a great and helpful guy. It says a lot about him that he directed his last two cars that he loved so much to a good home. What an honor to carry that torch for him Chris!

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
I will miss his posting opinions on how best to keep diesel BMW's run their best. Nice to know his cars are in a good home. Love the comments in this thread. RIP N1DAS.

Maguyvah

TDI
99 POLO wagon, 2001 Pinzgauer 716k, 2012 golf TDI, Ram Mega 6.7 ,12 HP Lister, Apache 23 CC Arneson dirve & New Holland turbo diesel.
So sad to hear iof Daves passing, He would stop in the shop on occasion to visit and such, turly a wealth of information and a joy to talk with.

Mr. Chill, thanks for letting us know about this.

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
This is only my second post on this forum but I felt compelled to write how touching it was to read through all these posts about a man I can only wish I had the opportunity to meet. It seems like he touched many people in his life and his enthusiasm for turbo diesels is clearly being carried on by all of you and the fond memories you all share. I only hope I will be able to meet some of you at a future GTG in the northeast.

HoageeBill

Veteran Member
TDI
'15GSW
Sorry to hear of Dave's passing; thanks Chris for posting. Dave was easy to talk with and very helpful when I bought my first diesel, generous with his knowledge. -- Hope Lisa is coping well.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Did anyone else get a message from Linkedin to wish Dave a Happy Birthday? Shouldn't there be a way to memorialize his account or something?