N.A. Source for 4.2 v8 tdi?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Im finding tons of the v6 3.0 tdi but not the 4.2.

Did any usa vehicles ship with the 4.2?

I might be able to score cheap blown up 4.2 tdi marine engines that locked down and I can marinise a wrecked take out using a remppaed auto etc.

My new boat has a 220 hp 1000 lbs diesel. I bet a 300 hp or 350 hp 4.2 would really wake the hull up and make it a new boat.

Roost

TDI
1.9 alh
I don't believe so other then Mercury. Only other manufacturer with similar power to weight is Volvo. Volvo stern drive diesels are much more common here in Canada, used ones pop up every now and then.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Mercury marinized the 4.2 vw tdi, this wasn't a mercury built, designed or engineered motor.

I believe it came in the toureg and a8. Sadly i can only find the 3.0 v6 toureg and a8

Mercury also marinized those. They come in up to about 260 hp.

I need to move a 9000 lbs boat so I'm thinking a 350hp 4.2 would be a better choice and less stress on motor. Less rpms to cruise at 25 mph.

Most volvo diesels are yanmars. Some if their models can also be found in land crusiers and newer BMW diesels.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
VM Motori 4.2 diesel. Built in Belgium. Italian owned/designed inline 6.

Badged as a cummins...far from it. Bravo 2 outdrive.

A little low on power for the boat but works.

Merc hasn't made many inboard motors, they usually rebadged someoene else's

Last edited:

Roost

TDI
1.9 alh
Gotcha. I thought it may be a 6bt with the weight and output mentioned in witch case I would of said just turn that sucker up..

I think most merc power heads are tohatsu, at least in the 9.9 range I was looking at. I'm still running a old Johnson seahorse as a kicker, the thing is dead nuts reliable (knock on wood). They don't make em like that anymore. Mercs of that era on the other hand are not built the same.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Im not sure about their outboards, only inboards.

Sadly i don't think a 6bt would rev to my needs. My 4.2 top rpm is 3600 to 3800. A 6bt would also eat my outdrive for lunch. They do weight about the same.

The cummins/mercrusier marriage didn't last long. Cummins didn't like their name being tossed into a European diesel. My motor is a good motor for what it is but when a customer buys a cummins badge they want a cummins.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Yanmar 8LV, it has proven to be a good engine so far, comes in 320 and 370 hp. The engine is actually a marinized Toyota V8, sold everywhere else in the world except NA. Company I work for has installed well over 200 of them in new boat builds, I work in the service side and haven’t found them to need much other than filters, fluids, and zincs.
Nanni is also selling their own marinized version of same, no experience with it though.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yanmar has been the company to set the bar on stern drive diesels for decades now. Just out of curiosity one that's fitted for a mercury bravo set up, what does it run? Usually 25 to 35k is what I've found.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Not road going vehicle officially came to the USA or Canada with the 4.2 tdi. I have a 4.2 tdi from a 2007 A8.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
USA rarely gets the good European or Japanese diesels.

Roost

TDI
1.9 alh
If a Isuzu Duramax could be marinized you would have alot of cores/parts available. Bell housing would be easy for a bravo.
6bt could reliably turn those rpm's, however valve train, fuel mods, and turbo would have to be addressed. Then of course the weight and torque on a stern drive, not a good option.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The 6bt is about the same weight as my current 4.2 inline 6 1100 lbs motor. The 6bt has been marinized for ages now but it will eat my outdrive every few seasons even with a bravo x upgrade. I don't have the space to add the konrad drive that the U.S. military mates the 6bt to in their Ribs. Those drives dont shift and need a gear box between the drive and motor.

Ive seen some duramax builds but it's usually one off custom work.

There are 444 navistar (7.3 ford) diesels but the marine parts are in short supply as it never took off. While a great light/med duty truck motor they lack power and reliability in marine environment.

Theres also the newly designed 6.5 GM diesel but again not known for reliability.

Roost

TDI
1.9 alh
The 7.3 DI engines arn't terrible, I had a 93 f350 I worked into the ground with one. Not crazy about the heui injection but they work, not high reving diesels though.

Personally I wouldn't touch the detroit 6.5 with a 10ft gaff (if im thinking of the same engine).

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
they are great truck motors. I tow my boat with an 01 excursion, 325k miles on the 7.3. If i could easily get my hands on the water cooled manifolds, cross over tube and turbo id love to use one. A 99.5 up with about 300 hp would be slow but easy to work on. The power to weight ratio of the tdi and yanmars are superior but at a price.

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
A marinized Duramax is available, done by a 3rd party not affiliated with GM (can’t recall name though). With no major manufacturer backing the engine it has almost zero use by a marine OEM. To bad because the power/weight ratio is decent and it has a very flat torque curve.
I think the Yanmar 8LV retails for approx 40k bobtail.
waterjets are great for propulsion, they have their issues but they make an appropriately chosen hull form a nice boat to run. You also get to nail down EXACTLY how much hp an engine is producing. There is no getting around the math related to engine rpm, transmission ratio, and kw rating of the installed impeller.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The torque and power of the druamax is also probably too great for any stern drive outside the konrad. They weigh in just a little less than a big block chevy if i remember correctly. A bravo 2 x might hold up on in a rec boat.

My gearing will be no issue with most other diesels as its geared for motors running up to approx 3600 to 3800 rpms max. Cruising rpms in the 3000 rpm range. My current 220 hp will crank out 3750 rpms lightly loaded with half tank of fuel at 22.5 to 23 mph. On gas motors every 10 hp added is approx 1 more mph. Id be happy with 25 to 29 hp and keeping my on plane crusing of about 17 mph. Most go fast diesels need run 3000 rpms or slightly more when cruising to prevent cylinder glazing.

Last edited:

mech644

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '14 Touareg
Yanmar 6BY 260?
its the bmw 3.0 inline 6 marinized by Yanmar. Was a good engine for us for 4 years or so. BMW pulled supply from Yanmar so it’s discontinued but there plenty out there on used market.
it would proved the additional hp your looking for and is reasonably lightweight, and continued parts supply shouldn’t be a prob.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
That's the one. There's a European outfit that makes the manifolds to marinise the om606 3.0, and merc makes the parts or did at least, to marinize the 3.0 v6. If the v6 tdi is the same bolt pattern as the 4 cyl, that's an easy adaptation to my outdrive housing and probably smoother than the I6s

Last edited: