Mystery Power Steering Leak

Fongpei

TDI
Jetta MKIV 2004 Sedan 225k, '04 wagon 183k
I'm super frustrated trying to find the source of my power steering leak. Replaced the rack about 6 months ago then about a month ago started to notice huge pools of fluid under the car. Thinking it was the crush washers, I replaced both on the banjo bolts. Seemed to help then one day went out to drive and almost all fluid was gone.

So thinking it might be a seal on the rack, I pulled the subframe an ran the engine for extended period of time. Could not duplicate leak. Turned the wheel lock to lock and topped off fluid. Nada.....put everything back together again and of course, the leak is back, but I can't pinpoint the source. Banjo bolts are dry but its coming from the driver side for sure. Thought that if it were the high pressure line, it would have presented during the time when the subframe was off. Now thinking somehow the subframe is pushing back on the hose and opening the leak.

Any pearls of wisdom before I start replacing hoses?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check the steering boot on the drivers side, if the seal behind it is leaking the boot will be full of fluid.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I think the only portion that's driver side is the connections to the hard lines on the rack.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Hondas can have mystery power steering fluid leaks too.

I know someone who took their 2006 Civic to a dealer for basic maintenance and they told him it has a massive power steering fluid leak. Funny thing is, I am the one who previously maintained that Civic, so I was shocked.

So I asked "Is the level low? Do you see pools of it under the car? Have you had to add any?" No to all questions.

So, the dealer says it has a massive leak, yet the level never goes down, you never have to add any fluid, there's no sign of any drips, and the steering works.

Hmmmm... Either that dealer is grossly incompetent, or trying to scam. They wanted to replace the pump for around $600.

Even a year after the dealer's "leaking badly" story, the owner hasn't had to top it up. Not one drop in a year of driving. That's some leak.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Ouch!!
What's that in the back of the hole? Looks like a button on a pressure valve maybe.
You'd want it to be original size.
There are epoxy thread repairs where you clean up the stripped stuff (bottoming tap), not the best repair. Plus the threads look pretty bad.
Thread-sert and heli coil are also possible. But I'm worried you can't get a bottoming drill all the way in.

Fongpei

TDI
Jetta MKIV 2004 Sedan 225k, '04 wagon 183k
Thanks for the advice. I spoke to a machine shop and they said the helicoil should work well. I found a kit that has the 14m x 1.5 insert so gonna try that first, although I’m also thinking that a new rack is not that expensive given the amount of time I’m spending on this. If it comes out okay I’m gonna treat myself to some RennStands that combines a stand with a jack pad. Keeping fingers crossed.