Mystery Items Found in Oil Pan

tetragrahamaton

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon Auto
Just yanked my oil pan to install a time-sert in the drain hole, and found this stuff floating around at the bottom:

http://imgur.com/a/hAH7V

The plastic bit is from that shroud thing that sits in the pan, I'm pretty sure, but I have no clue what the metal pieces are. Does anyone recognize them? They don't look like engine parts to me, especially the one that says TAIWAN, but then how the heck did they get in there I wonder?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I swear I've seen a different thread with the same issue, but I can't find it.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Somebody must have put that in the pan during lunch, when they put the engine together.... Who knows what is in my oilpan?

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Funny that belome referenced another thread I posted in :) At some point somebody definitely had one of those quick fix oil plugs in there. The only way to remove it completely is to drop the pan.

Jet 02

TDI
2002 Jetta, Vanagon AHU project
Suzie homemaker stops the oil leak.

That looks like the nut portion of a toggle bolt.
Hmm, fender washer , rubber washer and a toggle bolt to temporary fix a stripped drain plug.
That's my guess

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Usually the same people who use coolant leak stop and compression fittings on brake lines....
Yes, but those make for the best threads!

OP: I had X malfunction
Forum: This is what you need to do (info complied from dudes with combined decades of experience with TDI engines)
OP: Ok cool, good info but not interested, my friend with the Acura says this: (insert eBay part replacement / halfass repair here)
Forum: Noooooo!
OP: it's all good!
OP: um, had an engine runaway...where do I get new rods? prothe? I saw a turbo on alibaba...

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I have seen one of those in use in person - it's the only reason I knew what it was. My sister in law's brother brought me his Chrysler pacifica for a oil change shortly after he bought it and it had one of these contraptions on it. What a PITA... It can't be removed - you just loosen it and let the oil drain. Then hope it stays tight enough when you are done.

He still had it on the car 100k later when his son wrecked it.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
why not put a new pan on instead of a timesert? under 40 bucks

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Nice find, belome and gforce. I never knew such a thing existed.