mystery fluid leak

Victor-Whiskey

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
During my oil change I noticed what appeared to be a fluid leaking from one of the intercooler hoses. I wiped it clean and it's slowly reappearing. Any ideas? BTW, it is not any sort of drips, spill, etc. from the oil change it was there before and has reappeared since being wiped clean. Pic was taken after being wiped clean and ~5 miles of driving.

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
A little bit of oil collecting in your intercooler is perfectly normal.

The CCV (crankcase vent) sends oily crankcase fumes into the air intake ahead of the turbo, which is ahead of the intercooler. So you got oily fumes that condense in the intercooler.

Revving it up once in a while helps blow things out. Goose it on highway entrance ramps now and then. Tell yourself -- as you get the yee-ha grin :D -- that you're maintaining your car properly.

The hose doesn't seem to be well sealed, though. I don't remember seeing any oil on mine during the 2 oil changes I did.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I should add...

Just keep an eye on your oil level. If you're not using any oil to speak of, there isn't anything to worry about. My new TDI isn't using any oil, as my 2000 didn't when it was new. Eventually I was going through a little over a quart as it got up towards the 300k mile mark.

T

Timujin

I have the same thing. I saw it when I installed the skid plate before the 1st oil change.