Mystery Clunking & Shaking

CAPwTDIs

My '96 Passat TDI recently began making a clunking noise with accompanying vibration that can be seen and felt on the steering wheel. This happens intermittently only while moving, either going straight or turning, at fast or slower speeds. I do not notice any degradation in performance, although steering seems less tight. I have recently replaced front wheel bearings and all struts. Experts say no structural abnormalities, alignment and axles are OK and CV boots look good. Sensation is similar to getting flat tire, then goes and stays away for up to 50 miles of driving. Happens when car is warmed up or after only a few miles of driving, but does not happen all the time and never when I bring it to the shop. Any ideas of what to check next?

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
Sounds like it could be a couple of things. Tie rod ends for one. If your steering feels "loose," and you can see the wheel shaking, you could have worn front control arm bushings and/or an out of balance wheel. Depending on what wheels you have, sometimes you can scrape a good deal of dirt off the inside of the wheel, behind the "spokes" and that will alieve any thumping or out-of-balance sensations.
If the car pulls to one side, you might have worn rear axle bushings.

CAPwTDIs

Thanks for these suggestions. If the tie rods or bushings were at fault, shouldn't I expect the problem to occur continuously? I haven't experienced it in the last week at all -- car drives straight, smooth and quietly -- although I've driven it only on shorter trips at slower speeds. The last three occurences were after or during highway driving at higher speeds. Prior to the noise, the local tire place said they "lubricated the tie rod" after I complained about a spring-like/creaking noise when getting into or out of the car -- I could recreate the noise by moving up and down in the driver's seat while the car was parked. That noise stopped, but could it be related to the clunking I am now hearing? The steering feels a bit looser especially when making slow tight turns, but there is no pulling to one side or the other when the noise occurs, just vibration that I can see and feel in the steering wheel -- this goes away when the clunking stops. Is it worth trying to recreate the noise by doing some higher-speed highway driving and when it occurs, is there anything I could check to help isolate the problem?

Anomie

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta DSG
CAPwTDIs said:
Is it worth trying to recreate the noise by doing some higher-speed highway driving and when it occurs, is there anything I could check to help isolate the problem?
I would try, but be extra aware of everything you're doing, road condition, throttle/brake position, steering wheel position.

Check your CVs just to rule them out. Does your car have a dogbone mount similar to the MkIV jettas?

CAPwTDIs

CV boots were checked and are in good shape, not torn. I don't hear any clicking -- still worth checking joints? Not sure about dogbone as I am a newbie -- how can I check that?

Anomie

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta DSG
CAPwTDIs said:
CV boots were checked and are in good shape, not torn. I don't hear any clicking -- still worth checking joints? Not sure about dogbone as I am a newbie -- how can I check that?
CVs: the boots can be find and still fail, this happened to me twice (the second time was on the replacement driveshaft that was installed to remedy the first failed CV. If you can get under the car, grab the drive shafts right next to the CV boots and give them a firm shake in all directions. If you can feel/hear movement that is perpendicular to the shaft, that CV is probably on its way out. That slight movement translates to a slight out of balance, and that in turn becomes vibration you can see and feel in the steering wheel.

Dogbone: The transverse lower engine "dogbone" mount is located below and behind the engine and transaxle and connects the drivetrain to the frame there. it looks a little like a dog bone, hence the name. I looked around and I didn't find indication that your car has this. Ask a user with experience on your car for confirmation. Also upon re-reading everything I doubt any mount would have contributed to this but it doesn't hurt to check while you're under the car.