Mystery bolts

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I pulled my skid plate off yesterday to do some work and I found two extra bolts laying on top of it. They have a 13mm head and look to be about 35mm long, though I did not measure them.

Now a few months ago I replaced the timing belt and the clutch. I looked around the trans and did not see anything missing.

Any ideas as to where they might go?

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
cover plate on differential ?

if they were still around , they were meant for you to re-install them :D

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
the cover plate on the differential is secured with M6 bolts (10mm head). They looked like the two bolts securing the heat shield for the passenger CV axle, but I believe they are M10 (16mm head?). I don't remember seeing a matched pair of M8 (13mm head) bolts like that.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Keep the possible locations coming. After work I will try to look in all of the places mentioned, so long as I do not have to climb under or remove the skid plate. Can't do that in the parking lot.

Good luck, hope you get it solved

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
There are 6 that are close to that on the transmission. Both ends of a bracket / support that go from the trans mount to the trans and the two that hold the slave cylinder in place (pretty sure one pair has a different design bolt head though). Right now my best guess is the two holding the power steering cooler lines to the trans?