Mysterious random stalling

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
Our 2002 VW jetta has developed a random stalling thing. when it happens, it usually when you are coming to a stop and slowing down, at a stop and accelerating, or going 30-40 mph. The car stumbles, the battery light lights, the car dies. the remedy is just put in park and start up fine. It may be fine for days.

I replaced the crankshaft sensor, the alt and battery are testing good. The fuel pump is good. What else should be checked? there are no engine codes at all.

Perry:confused:

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Search "Relay 109". Last I knew, they were around $20 - $25. Reasonably easy DIY, and worth doing if not done already. IDParts sells them, but I'm sure there must be a vendor nearer your side of the country too.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
Yes, I looked for the Relay 109 in the fuse area under the dash, but did not find it. where does it go? Also, is there only a relay 109 in TDI ? because, I have no such relay in my non-TDI 2002 1.8T. The relays I have are: 377, 409, 100,53,451,175, 100. There is an empty space for a relay between 100 and 409. I am guessing non-TDI 2002 models don't need it, because it starts fine even after a stall.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
It's adjacent to the fuse area, behind and under. Remove lower dash trim to get a better look.
The 109 is to provide voltage to the ECU, unlikely that's your issue. But it's worth a try if yuo're sure the in-tank pump is working and the tandem is not leaking..
Here's a 15 year old thread with diagrams.

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
So, just looked behind the 377, there is nothing. There is nothing to plug the 109 into. There must be some misinformation here. The ECU works fine but there is no 109. The FP in the tank is fine also in this non-TDI. I am baffled.

RichJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD 5spd
I had an alternator that caused random stalls at low rpm. I would usually have to enter the radio code afterwards. I figured it out when the alternator finally died and I replaced it under warranty.

Richard

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Can the moderators lock this thread down? I mean, folks posting about NON-TDI vehicles on a TDI forum? And, to NOT make it clear that it wasn't a TDI on the first post? R U D E!

wrenchman30

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 gray 2006 dark blue
replace your in tank fuel pump even tho it runs its dead eventually you will be left stranded somewhere when it wont start, run the tank almost to empty and do the repair if there isn't access to it under the seat

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
We have a gasser with auto trannie..

A scan might be belpful, more so on vortex.