My zerostart heater install

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I looked at the options and decided to build my own Zerostart heater kit. The one I'll be installing has a one-way valve.
I've seen threads where the zerostart kit was ordered from Frostheater.com and a thread where a guy used a heater similar to mine and removed the valve to install it inline.
I'll be installing mine parallel so the coolant doesn't flow through it when the engine is running. Two fittings will be used to accomplish this and I'm not sure if I will need another hose to make the bend into the top of the heater.
The white fitting came with the heater and the black one I picked up at the parts store.
I'll post part numbers and what not later after I've completed the install...

The only other component I don't have a picture of is a formed hose I got at Oreilly and it was a 5/8" with a 90* angle formed into it about 18" long of which I used 12" of, Gates part #28468.
After doing the necessary research the coolant flows down into the oil cooler then returns back to the water pump via the metal pipe that runs behind the injection pump.
Taking advantage of the integral one way valve, I will insert the fittings at strategic points to allow hot coolant to bypass the the Zerostart heater when the engine is running. However, the Zerostart will be able to move the coolant from the oil cooler up into the heater then back to the head.

The 1500W 8000 series Zerostart has the following features.
Integral check valve supports extensive range of plumbing configurations
Top-side location of power cord connection provides damage protection from road debris and chemicals, detachable power cord enhances ease of installation
Temperature sensing safety thermostat provides overheat protection 147˚F (64˚C) ON - 185˚F (85˚C) OFF
CSA approved; volts: 120, watts: 1,500, plug type: 120 volt, 12.5 amp; inlet/outlet size: 5/8” (16mm)
Convenient design and universal mounting strap

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Here I edited the image with green circles to show where I put 45* T's,
Circled in Yellow is the 1500W heater.
Thumbnail below has all pics linked in tdiclub picture gallery.

Last edited:

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
I guess I haven't researched the coolant flow diagram very much, but I am curious on how the coolant flow will bypass the Zerostart heater when the car is running. I made my own heater years ago from a Kats Tank heater setup that cost me $40. Can't wait to see your pictures and results.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
I guess I haven't researched the coolant flow diagram very much, but I am curious on how the coolant flow will bypass the Zerostart heater when the car is running. I made my own heater years ago from a Kats Tank heater setup that cost me $40. Can't wait to see your pictures and results.
The coolant flows down to the oil cooler and must flow up through the heater. Since the heater has a one-way valve it will prevent the coolant from flowing when it's moving in the opposite direction.
It'll be much clearer once I get the unit installed and post finished pictures

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Last edited:

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Okay, I updated the post and added pics.
Here's a drawing to clarify what I did a bit more. Silver rectangle is the heater if there's any confusion...
The Blue arrow shows the flow of coolant while the engine is running, the red arrows show the flow while the heater is running.
The heater does not have a pump, it uses convection to create a flow and has a check valve to prevent flow the opposite way.
By retaining the check valve the coolant will not flow through it while the vehicle is running.

Last edited: