My Thread for Advice, Guidance & Stupid Questions

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
To add on the 4L of oil may also be caused by a gear driven BS being installed. I dropped the pan on mine when I bought it and was surprised to have a gear driven BS unit. I was thrilled to not have to take the front oil pump gear off.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
Taking the gear off is so simple. A couple of whacks with a cold chisel loosens it right up. I have done two.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
Thank you for the heads up zz, I saw threads where some have used a puller and broke the gear. I was under the impression that it was on there pretty good.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
hey all!
I've been busy moving, so not a lot of TDI time, but i'd like to respond to as much as i can.

i live in Prescott, AZ and am moving my lady in PHX which is where i will be moving to in the near future. so being that i commute about 200 miles every other weekend, my daily 86 van was starting show some signs that it wouldn't do this forever. this is where the wagon comes in. much better for the type of commuting that i'm doing. and yes, being a lifelong VW driver, it took me all of a couple minutes to fall in love with this car.

while this is my first "modern" car, it's still a 15 y/o VW and this is where my expertise lies. when i replaced the ATF, yes i dropped the pan and replaced the filter. there was some metal on the magnets. haven't heard anything from zambee500 or the TC rebuilder, but that all should be in progress. i will be looking further into the BSM when time allows. unfortunately, i didn't personally change the oil, so i don't know how much it took. BUT there is a message written on top of the coolant tank and it says "4qts". i have idparts front brakes just sitting also waiting for some time.

so when i was about 2 miles from home (100 mile trip home to park it) the alternator decided to crap out. so i am in the middle of changing that out. new voltage reg, and it's all good. and also my "project" 88 van decided to blow the main seal while being used in the move. haha. old VWs.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
haven't heard anything from zambee500 or the TC rebuilder, but that all should be in progress.
Delivered yesterday! Shipping delay last weekend due to Georgia being on lock-down for non-essential travel/work.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
are you trying to say my TC is not essential?

i figured something of the sort.
thanks, man!
stay safe :)

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
just got a call and my (zambee500's actually) TC has been received and is in process of being rebuilt :)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Ericsson's turnaround is usually one day so you should have it back soon.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
so the TC is on its way to me!

just thought that i'd brag about the Thule crossbars that i bought @ the local junkyard for the whopping sum of $22.60 today. sweet!

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
so i had a key cut from code @ my local locksmith for the Thule crossbars and was pretty underwhelmed. jerky movement and hard to just put the key in. so i removed the lock cylinders and cleaned them. lubed 'em up and now they work just like the day they left sweden. feeling rewarded :)

i also went ahead and changed the oil again (TopTec 4100 5w40, Mann filter) and it took exactly 4L.
thinking that my theory obout the BSM is correct at this point; that it has been deleted or updated :)

got a quote from the "pricey" VW shop for the TC R&R: $800, plus fluid.
sounds fair to me! all in all, a pretty good day for the ol' wag :)

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
4l OR 4qts means either it has not had bs delete or it has original chain or gear bs.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You might want to purchace trans mounts as they tend to be worn. Make sure they are correct for tdi. Since you most likely have chain bs, you might want to think about doing something about that while the trans is out and subframe is down. A careful look at the oil pan may give a clue as to whether the oil pan has been down, especially since having trans out of way, sealant uneven squeezings may be obvious.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
i wish i had thousands of dollars to spend on this "while i'm there", but i just don't. i have to prioritize. i will look into some new mounts though. timing belt and BSM will be the next big project. what i may look into doing is my oil pan....

I pride myself on factory level oil pan sealant squeezings. :)
i've read about this and will make sure it is done properly. is reinzosil adequate?

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
A second to Thundershorts! Trans mounts can contribute a lot to vibration when they are cracked. Not too expensive, with the rest of the things you are doing, not much more to inspect them. Big hunks of rubber, can be very cracked, not hard for non-experts to change. Renewing them helped my car.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
new trans mounts and filter are on the way from RA.
haven't seen the TC yet, but should in the next couple days.
currently sitting at an engine core place while they look for a used OE oil pan :)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I suspect what they're getting at above is that while the trans is out, the subframe will need to come down. Perfect opportunity to drop the pan for not much more time or cost and determination ne exactly if you are geared, chained or deleted. Don't need the do anything about it, just have the knowledge needed to plan your future plans for the car. Other good part is that if you are chained, you can check the chain and sprockets as well as the condition of the oil drive hex shaft. If I were dropping the subframe on this car, I would absolutely check these items.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
yeah, i get it, and all of that is going to happen.
i was able to source a used oil pan that's not super pretty, but at least it's not being held together with JBWeld!

did receive the TC today :)

would like to get my splash pan proper when this all goes back together. looks like there is a "side spoiler, left/right" 3B0-807-547/548. are those the pieces that tie the rear of the engine splash shield to the chassis?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You won't be able to see the chain tensioner, which is the worst part of the design. At your mileage, its virtually garanteed to be be broken. When the broken parts rattle around long enough, they jam the chain grenading your engine with the oil pressure loss. Frankly, since you are changing pan anyway, you really ought to consider doing it right, do a delete or gear bsm, and top it off with a fresh tb. I really don't think it is hour wise that much more to pull eng and trans together out the front . Figure the likelyhood the bs has been changed is probably between 1% an3%. If it has been adressed, go buy a lottery ticket, cause you will win for sure.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not trying to get you to spend more than you anticipated, but to save you money by doing what these cars need to keep them running. Water pump should be changed along with the belt to a metal impeller type. Hopefully your trans will be ok.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
so....if the chain tensioner is broken, won't pieces of it be floating around the oil pan--which will be able to be seen?
could it be seen with a borescope?

i will talk to the shop in the next couple of days about the full scope of the work.

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the two I've seen, the tensioner breaks at its weak point but doesn't drop to the pan, so you don't see the break. When it disintargrates further, thats when it can break the chain and the cover. The cover that is behind the crank pulley has to come off, so if you are there you might want to do it right and get rid of chain. You will indeed see the chain with to pan off so you know you have the problem, namely the chain.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
so, things have been slow on the wagon front. sorry for the lack of excitement, but i'm just collecting parts right now. might stop into the dealer and inquire about oil pan sealer today.
reinzosil? anyone?

going talk to my mechanic tomorrow or following day to discuss the oil pan, BSM AND actually schedule the work.
stay tuned :)

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
just to keep you-all informed and (maybe) interested, thought i'd let you know that i was finally able to find a trans splash pan off an A6 @ the junker's and five or six silver fasteners too! score!

according to UPS, i should be in possession of an oil pan tomorrow....and i have my WIX trans filter and new (aftermarket) trans mounts from RA.
i will talk to the shop and schedule the apt. tomorrow :)

the trans mounts have a very thin webbing strap inside of them kind of "holding it all together". assuming that this should be removed/my shop will know what to do upon install??

wanting to get my underside all buttoned up after this is all done, i am still not seeing how the aforementioned "side spoilers" fit into the equation.....i'm willing to get them....i don't appear to need them....did my car ever have them.....and of course, what fasteners hold them on???

ok, see you!

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
well...i'm back.
thought you had gotten rid of me and my needy wagon? oh, no! i'm back in the land of the living after having my TC and oil pan replaced. promptly after which we embarked on a 1600 mile road trip to lake tahoe, CA where i was married on june 17th! 'the wag' didn't miss a beat from barstow to south tahoe where many mountain passes were conquered with ease. rolling on a new set of Contis, UCAs, trans and torque mounts, we toured bristle cone NP and 26 the miles of (maintained) dirt road to the "old growth" stand where we topped 11000 ft! camped in the back near the park and departed for home via hwy 95 in NV where i was able to open the taps a bit passing area 51, death valley and any other vehicle that wasn't cruising in the triple digit range. the wag has proven it's worth, is now a part of the (new) family and i couldn't be happier!

in other news: i have procured a Ross-Tech VCDS and am getting to know it a bit. set the trans to "sport", enabled central unlocking upon key removal, programmed a new fob, set the IP timing and eliminated that damn seatbelt dinger! worth the $200 right there.

have a set of axles to go on as i'm still chasing some idle vibration. haven't done the engine mounts yet as it looks easy enough and i would only use OEVW in this instance. front pads & rotors from IDparts are also at the ready when the time comes. there is some front end clunkiness due to rear lower control arm bushes. wanting to go urethane on those (Powerflex) if anyone has any experience in this area, product or installation, it would be appreciated.

saving scratch for the TB & BSM in the next 10k or so...

thanks for looking and hope you're enjoying your TDI half as much as i have been!

Last edited:

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
...wanting to go urethane on those (Powerflex) if anyone has any experience in this area, product or installation, it would be appreciated...

No experience with Powerflex bushings, but if you have a hydraulic shop press and correct diameter punch, it's pretty easy to replace. Just make sure your ball joint is good or you need a whole new arm. I pressed out my bushings with new Lemforder and replaced my ball joint boots with Energy suspension boots.

Removal of the rear arm bolt can be a hassle because the body gets in the way. You'll will need to drop the subframe to get the bolt out. Unless you cut the bolt and install the new bolt going the other direction.