My sportwagen thread

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Ok so as the title suggests this is a thread on my 2011 jetta sportwagen tdi auto. My car had 88k when i got it. It has nav, a pano roof and 17" rims.
This thread is to list my mods and maintenance. Basically to help keep track of things i do to it and to help others that wish to do the same thing. Questions on mods done will be answered if i can.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
-first thing i did was add door warning lights that shine a vw logo down, i do have puddle lights to add when its summer.
-Would like to add power folding mirrors as well.
-added cheap auto headlight switch with sensor.
-soon i will add a rain/light sensor and the headlight/dash dimmer switch...
-Changed the city lights to an amber light for a cool look.
-Added on a fog light kit. with yellow led bulbs. i did finally figure out how to wire them into the cecm. so they will soon be factory wired.
-Changed footwell lights to red led. Will add a diode so they will be white with door open and red when closed. Will add rear footwell lights when i do this.
-Aspherical blue tint side mirrors from a mk5 golf. so gad i did this.
-built my own 2" hitch. and wired a powered trailer light converter.
-the dome lights come on when i open the hatch and it says hatch open on the mfd but the light didnt work... so i ran a power wire and connected the rear hatch light to the interior lights. Problem solved...
-malone .5 tune. will be getting a dsg tune then a stage 2. will delete after warranty. car was previously tuned before dieselgate.
-tint kit i installed will have to be redone because most of it is pealing. also thinking of dark mirrored tint for the rear.
-Hid low beam kit.
-Neo-chrome headlight vinyl film.
2nd battery added in spare tire well. will relocate to under car. there is an empty space in the rear right quarter. i think i could fit 2 there. also a summer project. and will have to run thicker wire if i put duals in that spot.
-rear leveling airbags because of squatting tail. springs are weak. probably will get some 90s cherokee coil springs. heard they're the same diameter and handle more weight.
-drilled and slotted rear rotors and carbon ceramic pads.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
so.. i may have totaled my car. i do not have good luck with newer cars. if its toalted should i get another mk6 sportwagen. or a 05 jetta gls wagen tdi. the 05 is manual and has 340k and they want 3,500 for it which i think is high. but its a 1 owner that had perfect service history..

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Shoot, what happened? Airbags deploy? I hope nobody got hurt.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Shoot, what happened? Airbags deploy? I hope nobody got hurt.
5 mph collision into a concrete post. combination of window fogging due to wet coat and heavy snow with darkness. one of the silly things i still cant understand how it happened, airbags never deployed. not sure if it poped the hose loose on the rad. but coolant was leaking. front clip. (headlight, fender, bumper support, bumper skin, grills, hood, upper rad core support. and somehow my wipers stopped working. this is at whatever speed the car goes by itself.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's unlikely a 5mph crash would total out the car. Good luck!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
It's unlikely a 5mph crash would total out the car. Good luck!
okay maybe it was a bit more than that. but in sure it was under 10 mph. and on a side note i noticed my wipers stopped working. before or after idk. i had my foot off the brake and not in the gas. how fast do these cars go on there own? might have been a slight grade down. Shop said it pushed the front core back almost two inches. the rad didnt puncture. the top connection popped loose a bit. if its totaled i will be buying it back for parts. with my dads pano breaking. so parts car. just irritating that i did something that stupid.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
okay so it was totaled. just got my replacement. 12 jsw, pano, nav, 17", white gold metallic, cornsilk beige interior, kessy, 91k miles. even has a dealer warranty. so i can get the few issues with it fixed. Bluetooth isnt working and the speaker within the cluster is dead.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
finally was told what insurance will pay. 9600. which is what i paid for it 10k miles ago. also saw the body shop damaged it a bit too. luckily i and the tow company have pictures from after it happend showing the damage was not there. so now i have that to deal with. i did tell him right away that i was buying it from insurance and to not open the drivers door and mess up the skin. so door and pass fender were bent. looks like the fender was hit with a rubber mallet as well as someone bent the fender arch with channel-lock pliers. the air-box looked like it was pounded with a chisel to break it(very neat hole not close to where the hood was bent) and both fog lights were broken and dangeling. and my a/c was discharged.

so i got to get the car out of there. and my insurance company is going after him. because the pictures prove it. really debating if i should fix and sell it or part it out.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
okay. so same thread on a different car. Now i have a 2012 JSW tdi. Dsg, pano, nav, kessy.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
first thing i did was some vcds tweaks.

Added door warning lights. put on fog lights. (which i still have to wire in) added a cheap auto headlight switch. (rain/light sensor and auto dimming mirror on order from china)
Had to do breaks. (dealer slapped new front rotors on the front with the old pads and didnt touch the rear) put on cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic pads. still waiting on the set for the rear.
have to get some square stock and make a new hitch. (one in my blue jsw was a pain to get lined up) So i will make a complete crash bar/ hitch from scratch. it was high enough that it never scraped, and was strong as hell. Probably will make a crash bar for the front that sits behind the bumper.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
trying to brighten up the engine bay also. added a battery cover (the plastic ones)
And painting the engine cover. No it is not finalised yet. I was painting it with some old car hobby paints i had. just looking at color combo. Trying to see what color vinyl decal colors would look best on a white gold metallic car.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well that escalated quickly lol. Nice car!
Yes.. it did. Lol. This is also the third one. First 2 we're totaled in a year. And this one I fixed after it also being totaled. Torque is addictive. I've also got a cp3 kit on the way. I might get a bigger turbo. Not sure it will fit. Adding meth is easier. The 2012 was stage 2 within a month.

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
Will be following your progress with best wishes! I am also researching cp3 and still figuring out where I want to be with the car before spending the big money on the pump.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Will be following your progress with best wishes! I am also researching cp3 and still figuring out where I want to be with the car before spending the big money on the pump.
It's where the heck cheaper than having to replace the fuel system. The CP3 kit was less than $800

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Alright. So mi oil leak wasn't just from my oil cooler o-ring. I noticed a drip coming from my downpipe vband. I can now confirm it's oil. So out been very cold for awhile so I haven't been pushing it very hard.

Seems like enough oil was in the ic to almost cause a runaway. It didn't go past 5500 rpm because I cut the ignition. Started it back up and it was fine. Pumped the pedal and a plume of black smoke rpm went to 5k. Was there for a bit and slowly started coming down. Then dropped to idle

So turbo drain is not plugged. This only started when it got cold. Haven't noticed any horrible oil leak. It had never used more than a quart in 10k. Right now I'm at half quart in 3k. Most of it was from the oil cooler.

Is the turbo not draining properly when cold because I'm using 0w-40 oil? I'm stage 4 with 2260

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well Malone got back to me.. Owain seems rather concerned about how much oil my turbo pushed out. It was about a half a quart on one start. Granted it was about 20 below zero. But it sounds like the turbo should not have pushed out that much oil.

My v-band clamp normally has just a small dribble on it. This time there was oil on the ground. And it almost caused the engine to run away. Thankfully I still have the ASV installed. And after the oil warmed up no more dripped out. Here's the oil spot that was left. This is from my downpipe. I have a vband in the middle of the s and one at the end of the subframe.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I believe the damage was caused by a poor sealing air filter. Because that's dust intrusion. I've smoked the intake and all seems sealed. So I attribute it to my cone filter I had on there. I miss the intake sound, but need to protect my new turbo.

I've also replaced the coolant flange gasket and oil cooler orings at 160k miles. Put my EGR delete pipe on.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well, installed my cp3 conversion kit. After less than 200 miles the check valve backed out. Xman has already shipped a replacement pump out.7-10 days I'll be without my car. Fml

kcon

TDI
Mk4 wagon, mk6 jsw
Did he say how often that happened? Getting ready to install my kit. What were the signs of it happening?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Did he say how often that happened? Getting ready to install my kit. What were the signs of it happening?
Odd smell of diesel, crappy mileage. Low rail pressure code when floored. Something in the pump just went bad. I've read that the piston locks up and spits it out. It happened in under 200 miles. So check it throughly. Put a rag around it and romp it round town and see if it's at all wett.
It was a pain to prime. I had fuel to it, cranked for 10 sec, priming in-between. Had to crack the main high pressure line loose to prime it. I've also read that if the checkball gets forgotten, it'll spit out one of the "suction valves". He seems to turn many of them out.
I messaged him 2am his time, sent a pic. He immediately sent one out for me. So imma try to find the rebuild kit for it. 9637317380 Is the pn of the pump.