my small contribution to the wealth of info to be found here

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Hi folks,

Are you tired of that buzzing, noisy center vent in your MK4?:( Does it drive you crazy going over small imperfections in the road surface, only to have it amplified by your center vents?:mad:

I have the fix you've been looking for.

What you'll need: roll of pvc thread tape, flathead screwdriver.
How long it will take: all of 2 minutes.
What it will cost you: $0.59 for the roll of thread tape, you can use a thin knife from the kitchen drawer if you have no screwdriver (don't let your wife see you!:eek:)

What it entails: with your screwdriver (or butter knife) pop out the 2 or 3 buttons along the bottom of the center vent assembly. For my model, I have hazard lights button and rear defroster; the other 3 are blanks with covers. These are the blanks you want to pop out.

Take your roll of thread tape and wrap the portion of the cover that pops into place, basically between the edge of the flat face and the small side clips that lock it in. Put 4-5 rolls of tape, cut, make sure it's smooth and reinstall the cover in its exposed hole. Do this for all blank covers and...

...:D Voila, you now have a quiet center dash piece with non-rattling covers that remind you your MK4 is Mexican-built:rolleyes:.

Disclaimer: I don't know if this works for everyone, but I do know that those blank button covers are "rattly", and doing the above suggested procedure WILL eliminate the noise they make. As for the vents themselves, you'll probably be surprised it wasn't their fault, probably;). Anyway, that is my small contribution, hope it helps at least one other person get rid of some of the annoying rattles that are "built-in" to these cars. At least as far as my car is concerned, it feels and sounds more German-engineered.:cool: Thanks for taking the time to read.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
I just bought a 'FUNK' switch to stop the buzzing. as I only had one blank that was all i needed. but good stuff none the less

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
yes, it seems the more blank buttons there are, the more those things rattle, even at the smallest imperfections of road surface or particular engine rpms. on the way to work this morning, all was quiet and solid. me like, me like!

thermographer

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 2004 Wheat/Beige with Automatic Tiptronic, ESP
1) I shoved a penny under each of the blanks to stop the noise... worked great,.... cost $.02

2) Removed the blanks, added heated seat switches.... free switches... front seats $300.

Last edited:

Jon_Mutiger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6sp
I found a better way, you know those little pins that hold the vents in place? Well, I put 2 o-rings on each side. The o-rings were from a 520 x-ring dirt bike chain, but it doesn't really matter. It added the friction required to stop them from moving. Now they hold any angle any time.

Easy, cheap, and clean.

Jon

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
cool, glad you found a way as well. not many of us have spare motorcycle chain o-rings lying around, but it's great it works for your application. i guess there's always going to be something that's just a tiny bit loose on these cars, enough to rattle and annoy us enough to find a small, cheap, permanent fix. VWs are cool that way...